Dan Strailey traded

Legend_Of_Joey

2 hours ago, AceKing said:

I am saying it may have a direct impact on the lack of trades of these and other players

My understanding of your point is that a player - any player - would be intrinsically more valuable simply because he was traded from, say, the Red Sox or Dodgers rather than the Orioles.    That's irrespective of production, positional value to the acquiring team, cost of the return, etc.  Basically the taint comes from the team not the individual's performance.

It's an interesting theory made all the more so because other trades having nothing to do with that player can nonetheless have a direct impact.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AceKing said:

Because baseball GM’s are smart humans, and it is pretty easy to look back over the past few years of trades with a particular franchise, and to see whether dealing with that franchise bore fruit, or did not work out.

The track record recently is that the players that are traded from the Baltimore Orioles have not been extremely beneficial to the reciprocating team.

If I were an opposing GM, I would not want to deal with the Orioles at this time, for the myriad of reasons that we discuss each and every day around here.

*Not that good 

ok argument, although there are obviously players who have value and this has nothing to do with the outcomes of other previously traded players

*Clubhouse cancers

who the heck are you talking about, I don’t think any of the Orioles tradable assets are even remotely in this category and again this has nothing to do with outcomes of pre

*players that are so bad that they end up being cut

every player a team acquires is judged on his own merit, not some other player who happened to be on the same team at one point’s merits.

*no championship pedigree

lol

*undeveloped players who are out of options

who?

etc.

I would just pass.

Basically you are trying to say that GMs care about what shirt a player wears (based on an emotional narrative derived from just 2 measly trades that have zero bearing on the outcome of future trades) more than a scouting/analytical assessment of the player’s value.

Archived