vs. BLUE JAYS, 8/03

OFFNY

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To a large degree they are matters of luck and happenstance.  Is a pitcher's performance less dominant because the center fielder was standing two feet further back when a pitch was thrown?

Throwing a no hitter is not a measure of greatness.

Yes, it is. Of course you need some luck and some great plays behind you, but to declare that it's not a feat of greatness is silly. Throwing one doesn't make you a hall of famer, but it puts you among a small community of players to have ever done it. A pitcher's performance is dominant if he throws nine innings and allows no hits. Even more if it's a perfect game. Just because there is luck involved in the sport does not mean you can reduce something like a no hitter to luck and triviality.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Armando Galarraga should have had a perfect game, was he great?

It was a great achievement that the game is better for. I can't believe you would trivialize such an incredible feat.

3 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Well, now that you mention it..... ?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Really?  To me it completely sounds like something I would do.

No hitters are about the same type of thing as hitting for the cycle...interesting but flukish...there have been 302 no hitters and 325 cycles ...about the same frequency.,

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The are fun and exciting and I'm a bit hyped when someone does get one but the team and the pitcher's health come first.

In the case of an injury, fine. I read that link and I see no regret at all from Santana. Chances are his shoulder would have fallen apart again since it did once already without the benefit of throwing 134 pitches. Santana's arm action was the reason for his shoulder problems due to things that have been discussed on this board before. Santana wanted to do it and it's great he did it because he likely would have never gotten another chance.. ever. He has no regrets, but I bet he would have if he was pulled and his shoulder still fell apart anyway.

Archived