Nick...killing it in the 2 spot.

Moose Milligan

Well, at least you openly show your illogic. You arbitrarily believe that anything a person says is stated as fact, not opinion, unless he specifies it is his opinion. This is totally wrong, but does shed some light on the source of much of your illogic. I could just as easily claim that whatever a person states is his opinion unless he explicitly states he believe it to be fact. Logic 101 again.

To use a simple example, your very first statement above is your opinion, not fact, and yet you do not state it as being your opinion. Just because you say it is true does not make it fact. To use a simple example, if someone says "Babe Ruth was the best baseball player ever," that is obviously an opinion, and no reasonable person would need him to say that it is an opinion.

Think of all the times you have insulted other's logic. (Yes, it works both ways.) That is obviously your opinion, but based on what you believe, you stated it as fact, when it is by definition opinion. Heck, you state that you "won" an argument with someone, when that is only your opinion (which no one else on this thread seems to agree with), and yet you forget to state that it is your OPINION that you "won" that argument. (You didn't win the argument; you lost it badly. But I don't need to state that this is my opinion, since that is obvious from the context.)

-Larrytt

I certainly am not trying or wish to "insult" anyone else's "logic" or anything else. I am just trying to resolve this argument. I do not arbitrarily believe that anything anyone states is intended as fact unless it is denoted as an opinion. However, in this case the original wording was clear, regardless of what the poster intended and later explained. I don't doubt his intent, but what he wrote did not express it. He meant to express his opinion but it came out as if it was a fact.

For example. Someone might state that Mike Mussina has pitched like a Cy Young Winner in the past. To me that is strictly an opinion, not supported by fact because Mussina has never won a Cy Young.

Now, if the same statement was made about Roy Halliday, it would be a factual statement and not an opinion because Halliday is a proven Cy Young Winning pitcher.

Does this help you understand any better?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WAKE UP! I always said that it was my opinion. I never said otherwise. If you can't admit that or figure that out then you take the phrase "stubborn as a mule" to a new unreachable level of absurdity!!!!

No, sorry, Kevin Bacon was not in Footloose.

I continue to be amazed that you guys enjoy debating with this person. On the bright side, I noticed that OldFan was the last post in this long thread, read the last page, and quickly surmised that he was off on another of his ridiculous arguments so I did avoid wasting 25 minutes. I'm very happy about that. That is all...

This thread is destine for the Classic Hangout Threads forum...

I continue to be amazed that you guys enjoy debating with this person. On the bright side, I noticed that OldFan was the last post in this long thread, read the last page, and quickly surmised that he was off on another of his ridiculous arguments so I did avoid wasting 25 minutes. I'm very happy about that. That is all...

I'm only arguing with him to try and reach the 33 page prediction I made earlier on.

Well in your example there is a huge difference from mine. In my example Brooks actually played baseball all season, just not at his normal position. So it really isn't a comparable situation at all. Williams was doing much more important work.:)

My bad. I'd assumed that, to someone born during the War Between the States, that DHing wasn't really playing baseball.

Archived