Nick...killing it in the 2 spot.

Moose Milligan

I totally understood his point, which is that he plays "gold glove caliber defense."

But apparently I don't need things spelled out for me.

False. She has an Oscar.

Okay, well use an example of an actress who doesn't. I don't follow that sort of thing that closely. Good Lord you people are argumentative over nothing.

The point is you cannot make a blanket statement that someone plays "gold glove defense" if they have never won a gold glove. Same as stating an actor has given an oscar winning performance when they didn't win the oscar. Its that simple. You can't be something until you have achieved it. Kind of like stating Mussina is a HOF player. He isn't until he's elected. This is basic common sense.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually sort of agree with OldFan about the gold glove thing. Duffman said gold glove defense, not gold glove level or gold glove caliber.

However OldFan, I think you're being incredibly obtuse here (SHOCKING!). It was blatantly obvious what Duffman meant. I knew what he meant. Everyone else seems to know what he meant. Someone else said you are arguing semantics, and you are, whether you want to admit it or not.

Okay, well use an example of an actress who doesn't. I don't follow that sort of thing that closely. Good Lord you people are argumentative over nothing.

The point is you cannot make a blanket statement that someone plays "gold glove defense" if they have never won a gold glove. Same as stating an actor has given an oscar winning performance when they didn't win the oscar. Its that simple. You can't be something until you have achieved it. Kind of like stating Mussina is a HOF caliber player. He isn't until he's elected. This is basic common sense.

Common sense ain't so common, is it buddy?

Common sense ain't so common, is it buddy?

Some of you apparently never took a basic college course in Logic 101.

You cannot state that a player is a gold glover if he has never won a gold glove.

You may state that in your opinion he plays gold glove caliber defense. However, to make it seem as if it is a fact is illogical as he has never achieved that particular honor or award.

That is the entire point I am arguing here period.

You cannot state that a player is a gold glover if he has never won a gold glove.

You may state that in your opinion he plays gold glove caliber defense. However, to make it seem as if it is a fact is illogical as he has never achieved that particular honor or award.

Yet you're the only one out of us who're taking umbrage with this.

Wonder why...

But you stated that a woman wasn't an Oscar Winner when in fact she had won an Oscar. Who are you to teach me logic?

That is the entire point I am arguing here period.

Did you read my original post, or the one following it explaining the original?? I never claimed it to be fact, I said it was my opinion and then restated this again even though I don't think that it was needed, yet even after all that you still try to say I claimed it to be fact.

Not going to bother with OldFan. So back to Markakis talk.

Here is my take on Markakis.........he is an absolute stud.

He has improved every year in bigs so far in all 3 averages...BA/OBP/SLG and OPS+ too. If his power comes late like the past 2 seasons before (almost a 100 points higher in SLG in the 2nd half) then we could be looking at a .510ish slg out of him this year.

His BB% has greatly increased 8.7% to 13.8%. Understandable his K% will increase because of his BB% increasing (taking more borderline pitches). One really good thing is that his K% didn't increase that much from last season and is only 1.1% higher. Which leads to his BB/K increased big time to .86 which is what counts.

His LD% increased to 21.9% which combined with his .339 BABIP makes him exactly what he should be hitting if you believe in the .012+ LD% = BABIP equation. His HR/FB rate is 13.9% so far which is pretty good, but again his power comes late so we could see that come up some more which is not bad.

Fielding is great. He has the range and arm we all want in a RF.

The 1 negative with Nick, his GB/FB. 1.34 is higher than last season (1.20). I would like Nick to hit more FB( lead to more hrs). Hopefully this is something that will continue to improve this season as I said before in the post his power comes late.

Here is a little cool improvement. This year Nick is seeing on average 3.84 pitches per at bat and last year it was 3.75. I think that is a nice improvement.

But you stated that a woman wasn't an Oscar Winner when in fact she had won an Oscar. Who are you to teach me logic?

That was me not knowing the facts and I was just using an example. I should have used Phyliss Diller instead of Angelina Jolie. My bad. (Of course someone will probably tell me that she also won an oscar as I truly don't know about actors and actresses and oscars.) I do know Markakis hasn't won a Gold Glove and you should state he plays Gold Glove Defense as if it is a fact when it by necessity can only be opinion.

Archived