Stewart recalled

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He had a glazed look that was obvious even on camera. There was no excuse to leave him in.

But the bigger question is whether he can be a productive member of a MLB team? Leaving aside last night, he hasn’t been productive on offense or on defense. I think he should be up the rest of the season to show what he can do, but I wonder about the outcome.

last night his approach to the ball was tentative, he slid about ten feet sooner than he should have and he didn’t see the ball coming down, I’m not sure he ever really saw the ball. He might have slipped in the wet grass, but it looked more like a huge misjudgment.

hope he comes back quickly but with a concussion, he should go on the IL.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

He had a glazed look that was obvious even on camera. There was no excuse to leave him in.

But the bigger question is whether he can be a productive member of a MLB team? Leaving aside last night, he hasn’t been productive on offense or on defense. I think he should be up the rest of the season to show what he can do, but I wonder about the outcome.

He was very productive last year, in a limited sample size.

He hadn't been productive this year thus far, in an even more limited sample size.

His minor league numbers for the past few years are very good.  This is a guy who had to totally revamp his swing coming out of college.  All signs are that he can hit and has a good OBP tool, though you never really know until they reach the majors.  With everyday reps in the majors I think he can put up an .800 OPS and play a solid LF.  But this year may just not be the year.

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

last night his approach to the ball was tentative, he slid about ten feet sooner than he should have and he didn’t see the ball coming down, I’m not sure he ever really saw the ball. He might have slipped in the wet grass, but it looked more like a huge misjudgment.

hope he comes back quickly but with a concussion, he should go on the IL.

As you suggested, I think it’s just too early to draw any conclusions about Stewart.    Last year he was so-so in AAA and then was very good during his call-up; this year he was very good in AAA and has been bad during his call-up.   Both the major league samples have been tiny and now he’s been injured twice.     I hope his concussion is mild and that he’ll be back soon and get a longer test.

Baseball’s a funny game.    Before the season I would have put Hays, Diaz and Stewart all ahead of Santander, and Santander did nothing at Norfolk this year to change my mind.    He gets called to Baltimore when Stewart is hurt, and has done nothing but impress so far.   You just never know in this game.

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

You know, stuff happens, and all that... but on a team where just about anyone can get some playing time if they show the slightest competence, Stewart has had a terrible time.  That was brutal.  Hopefully he can do something useful going forward.

At least the ball didn't bounce inside his shirt!

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As you suggested, I think it’s just too early to draw any conclusions about Stewart.    Last year he was so-so in AAA and then was very good during his call-up; this year he was very good in AAA and has been bad during his call-up.   Both the major league samples have been tiny and now he’s been injured twice.     I hope his concussion is mild and that he’ll be back soon and get a longer test.

Baseball’s a funny game.    Before the season I would have put Hays, Diaz and Stewart all ahead of Santander, and Santander did nothing at Norfolk this year to change my mind.    He gets called to Baltimore when Stewart is hurt, and has done nothing but impress so far.   You just never know in this game.

I have thought the O's future outfield would be Santander, Hays and Diaz since the Manny trade.    Now I wonder about Hays and Diaz while Santander has had success in the majors.  I always thought that Stewart would have a hard time beating any one of those three out for a starting spot.   Now with the  possible addition of Mountcastle  i think he may have a good chance of being the O's starting LFer  of the future.

14 hours ago, Philip said:

Overall you think Nunez is the better player, all things considered? I’ll accept that, but man I really hate bad defense. And for years we had the best available.

Trust me, I'm no fan of bad defense, and if I thought Nunez was a butcher I'd want him nowhere near the hot corner. But last year, I saw a guy who improved from the time he arrived and ended up a decent defensive 3B. Not Manny of course, but ok. His bat plays much better at 3B so I'd like to see them give him a shot there.

I'm not a Ruiz guy at all because I don't think he has the bat to be an everyday big leaguer and doesn't have the power to be a 3B. His defense is solid but not amazing enough to make up for his offensive flaws.

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Trust me, I'm no fan of bad defense, and if I thought Nunez was a butcher I'd want him nowhere near the hot corner. But last year, I saw a guy who improved from the time he arrived and ended up a decent defensive 3B. Not Manny of course, but ok. His bat plays much better at 3B so I'd like to see them give him a shot there.

I'm not a Ruiz guy at all because I don't think he has the bat to be an everyday big leaguer and doesn't have the power to be a 3B. His defense is solid but not amazing enough to make up for his offensive flaws.

Ok I’ll accept all that. We can only hope that Nunez developed, then. I should know this, but what do you mean when you say that his bat plays better at the position? I’m a little bit unclear on that.

I think it means that a 3B should hit x and if he doesn’t it’s bad, But if a guy hits for a particular average, I don’t see how it matters what position he plays. I apologize for asking for a rudiment, but do you mind clarifying?

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

I should know this, but what do you mean when you say that his bat plays better at the position? I’m a little bit unclear on that.

I'll explain it like this, remember JJ Hardy, he only had one season with the O's where he had a batting performance above league average. He was still a good player. Why? Because he had defensive value at a scarce position. If JJ Hardy had the same bat, but played first base, he'd may not have ever made it to the majors. There are a bunch of guys in AAA or on the waiver wire who can hit as well as or better than the average JJ Hardy season, but because they play a position almost any player can handle, they aren't nearly as valuable.

Batting performance expectations differ significantly based on position. 

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'll explain it like this, remember JJ Hardy, he only had one season with the O's where he had a batting performance above league average. He was still a good player. Why? Because he had defensive value at a scarce position. If JJ Hardy had the same bat, but played first base, he'd may not have ever made it to the majors. There are a bunch of guys in AAA or on the waiver wire who can hit as well as or better than the average JJ Hardy season, but because they play a position almost any player can handle, they aren't nearly as valuable.

Batting performance expectations differ significantly based on position. 

all right thanks. So if I understand correctly, if Ruiz could play a competent short stop, his batting average(whatever it is, I don’t know at the moment) Would make him an acceptable daily player?

21 minutes ago, Philip said:

all right thanks. So if I understand correctly, if Ruiz could play a competent short stop, his batting average(whatever it is, I don’t know at the moment) Would make him an acceptable daily player?

Batting average means very little by itself, we are talking about overall production with the bat. Ruiz would be a MLB role player/utility IMO if he could handle SS, but his bat is really light and I doubt he'd be a regular, even at SS. I agree with Tony that Ruiz isn't a MLB quality player. 

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

Think of it as "How do I provide excess value at my position?"  Most players could play at least an average 1B, so in order to provide more value than other 1B, you'd need to have a great bat.  

Very few ML players can play a competent SS, so if you're able to play SS but also have a good bat, that gives you extra value compared to your peers.

Archived