TT: Matusz speaks to the fans

Tony-OH

BS. It's a well crafted PR campaign. The same e-mail went out to the Sun - see Jeff Zriebec's piece today. It's not an exclusive reach out to the fans at the Hangout. It's his "advisor" trying to put pressure on the team.

I'm a PR / Marketing executive and I can tell you with certainty that no competent agent would use this kind of tactic during negitiations where both sides in the final stages of "working out the details" as has been reported by numerous insiders.

Fans don't make the decisions for sports organizations. The average fan doesn't even know who Matusz is or care. This type of release wouldn't have any positive effect on negotiations at all - the only possible result would be creating a point of contention between the parties where there was none before.

The first thing professional contract negotiators are taught is to never discuss negotiations outside of closed doors or with the press except in the most general terms possible. The only time you see this type of ploy is in TV dramas or high profile court cases where grandstanding is used to sway public opinion. Its just a stupid, stupid thing to use as a tactic in a contract negotiation.

The only way it makes sense is if its a heartfelt statement from an athlete who's trying to endear himself to a city and its fans.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's at least possible that this is something designed to get the fans on his side if things don't get better with the team, especially with the use of vague language like "fair offer".

What kind of language did you think he would use. It's not as though he could give any specifics. Of course it's designed to get the fans on his side, but at least he's concerned about that.

LOL. Me too.

My initial reaction was the same as Tony's.....but after thinking about it and putting myself in BM's shoes- I agree that he was just "covering his bases" by sending it out to multiple sources.

Huh? No one is upset about him sending out to multiple sources. What is this reaction you speak about? Seriously, I don't get it. :confused::confused::confused:

Presidential candidates don't get their statements analyzed nearly to the extent that this little college kid is getting on this board. Really, I think some of you need some alternative hobbies at times.

He sounds like a nice kid. What more is there to say about it?

Between Guthrie and Matusz, we could have the nicest starting rotation of any team in baseball.
The problem is who's between them.

Anyway, I'll be impressed with Matusz' character as soon as he signs - and no sooner. :)

There likely isn't going to be anybody between them...we'll just have to worry about the three guys pitching after them! :clap3:

Huh? No one is upset about him sending out to multiple sources. What is this reaction you speak about? Seriously, I don't get it. :confused::confused::confused:

I never accused anyone of being upset. You must be confusing my post with another.

The reaction I speak of is after hearing about sending out the same message to multiple sources my immediate reaction was the same as yours- that it was less a sincere message to the fans and more along the lines of a press release.

Then, after thinking about it for I while, I realized that my first impression- harmless email communication to the fans was correct and he was just making sure it reached more fans by sending it to multiple sources.

Below is the quote that I got your "reaction" from:

Very interesting that he sent the same e-mail to Zriebec. He did address the e-mail to me personally so I didn't take it as a PR stunt. Obviously the wording was very careful and I figured his agent was probably behind some of it, but either way, I find it interesting that he would address an e-mail personally then send the exact message to other outlets.

While we appreciate the fact that he wants to "reach out" to the fans, he'll need to work on the part of PR that differentiates between something personally addressed and a "press release" statement.

Then, after thinking about it for I while, I realized that my first impression- harmless email communication to the fans was correct and he was just making sure it reached more fans by sending it to multiple sources.
This is exactly how I viewed it.

Archived