Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

Snutchy

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Speaking of track records, Buck’s says he only played Davis in 14 games last September.    So, there’s no reason to think Davis would have played every day this September if Buck was here.     Trumbo was injured last September, so no track record there.    

Those 14 games were 14 of the first 19 the Orioles played in September and involved Davis starting and getting 56 plate appearances. It wasn't until he went 1 for 37 that Buck finally benched him. Mancini moved to first, Beckham became the DH, and players like Andreoli, Stewart, Mullins, Valera, and Peterson got auditions.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Those 14 games were 14 of the first 19 the Orioles played in September and involved Davis starting and getting 56 plate appearances. It wasn't until he went 1 for 37 that Buck finally benched him. Mancini moved to first, Beckham became the DH, and players like Andreoli, Stewart, Mullins, Valera, and Peterson got auditions.

I think Buck was trying to throw him out there in the hopes he would get off the schneid for a hot streak and end the season on a high note.  I’m not convinced that he would do the same now that Davis has shown 2 full seasons of sucking.

2 hours ago, Hallas said:

I think Buck was trying to throw him out there in the hopes he would get off the schneid for a hot streak and end the season on a high note.  I’m not convinced that he would do the same now that Davis has shown 2 full seasons of sucking.

I agree. But I believe Trumbo would be playing much more.

7 hours ago, LA2 said:

I predicted 20-30 PAs at most for Davis in September and it looks like he won't get even that.

Under Buck, I think Trumbo would have played more this month, with platitudes about him in the post-game pressers.

He likes the way they grind it out,

52 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Yes, Buck stuck with his veterans, but he was 100% sure he was not coming back last year. think it would be a different approach if he was at the start of his run as Orioles manager. 

He wouldn’t have emotional ties to the player. I don’t think it was just because they were veterans more of they helped me in the past. 

19 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Only insofar as it seems like Elias is definitely laying the ground work to end this situation. I would expect nothing else with a contract that large. Heck, if the article said John Angelos was sitting down with Davis, that wouldn't even surprise me. 

They're marginalizing his role. His time is coming and they're trying to handle it delicately. 

Let's hope this is the case.  His presence on the team is an embarrassment to both himself and the team; and a constant reminder to ownership of an extremely bad decision.  Not something you want lingering on a rebuilding team.

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Isn't that the definition of having emotional ties to a 

If he started today he would have no emotional ties to Trumbo and Davis so he would not play them.  It wasnt because they were veterans that he played them.  I am not sure what your reply is for.  

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

The whole incident lasted for maybe 30 seconds.

Yet, how many weeks later, are still dissecting it apart bit by bit ???

o

I also think that the incident is being excessively dragged out and being made more out of it than it needs to be, but not necessarily because of the length of it (not more than 30 seconds) ........ taken to an extreme, if either Davis or Hyde had pulled out a gun and shot the other, that would have taken even less than 30 seconds, and it would still be being talked about (and obviously, rightly so.)

o

3 hours ago, atomic said:

If he started today he would have no emotional ties to Trumbo and Davis so he would not play them.  It wasnt because they were veterans that he played them.  I am not sure what your reply is for.  

If you think Buck didn’t give preferential treatment to vets despite their poor performance during his tenure then you weren’t paying attention.

Archived