vs. YANKEES Game 2, 8/12

scOtt

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or how about talented fly ball pitchers?  You know the kind that strike guys out and induce IFB?

The problem isn't that they aren't ground ball guys, the problem is they aren't good.

The Orioles invited this. This stage of the Elias plan included trading any pitchers with any market value (Cashner turned out to be the only one, and his value turned out to be negligible), add the likes of Hess, Wright and Ynoa and other failed starters already in the system, and fill out the rotation with refuse from other teams. The Orioles got unlucky with Cobb's injury and lucky with Means and maybe Wojo. Bundy has been a disappointment, but not a major one given his recent seasons. All the other starters have been terrible, but that should come as no surprise; the only surprise is that so many of them have expressed their lack of pitching ability by giving up so many HRs.

This is the starting pitching that Elias planned for and put together. It's difficult and sometimes painful to watch it give away game after game, but it shouldn't be a big surprise that when you build your rotation out of lousy pitchers, you'll have a lousy rotation.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Ties record (13) for most consecutive wins against O's and most by Yankees vs any team in any season.    

Torres with HR #12.  He has also 12 ....vs the rest of MLB.

tenor.gif

Hanser says....”No, take that Darth Vader!! “

1 minute ago, Sessh said:

Nope, the two runners were Phillips runs. Eshelman was only responsible for Torres. Only baserunner he allowed.

The guy in the rundown was out. Did Phillips load the bases? I thought it was only 1st and 3rd.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

The Orioles invited this. This stage of the Elias plan included trading any pitchers with any market value (Cashner turned out to be the only one, and his value turned out to be negligible), add the likes of Hess, Wright and Ynoa and other failed starters already in the system, and fill out the rotation with refuse from other teams. The Orioles got unlucky with Cobb's injury and lucky with Means and maybe Wojo. Bundy has been a disappointment, but not a major one given his recent seasons. All the other starters have been terrible, but that should come as no surprise; the only surprise is that so many of them have expressed their lack of pitching ability by giving up so many HRs.

This is the starting pitching that Elias planned for and put together. It's difficult and sometimes painful to watch it give away game after game, but it shouldn't be a big surprise that when you build your rotation out of lousy pitchers, you'll have a lousy rotation.

Sure.  My point is that sinkerball pitchers aren't a cure all.

If folks want a return of that philosophy Elias isn't the guy.

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

The guy in the rundown was out. Did Phillips load the bases? I thought it was only 1st and 3rd.

Hmm, actually, you're right. Phillps was charged with three runs. Eshelman only one.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure.  My point is that sinkerball pitchers aren't a cure all.

If folks want a return of that philosophy Elias isn't the guy.

I'm all for letting Elias' plan unfold. Wasn't saying sinkerball pitchers across the board. Just one or two. See if a guy like Hess can throw one maybe. It couldn't hurt at this stage of his career.

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I think it's ineptness much more than stupidity, but who knows?

Yeah! You have to keep the mistakes out of middle-middle meatballs. Just WAY too many of those this year.

Even Bundy this year, altho he's done it now for a couple years, but he's almost a grizzled vet. And he gives up fat mistakes with the "best" of them. And that juiced ball but you HAVE to make pitches! And we just DON'T.

Archived