The lineup I want to see in September

sportsfan8703

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep they can keep him down for all for 2020-2021 and get to work on his walk rate.  That way he'll still be on the 2028 team! 

Let's just start a policy that if they only get promoted to the majors if they are out of options.

The O's will win all sort of minor league titles with 26 year olds in AA.

Or they could just do reasonable things and keep good prospects in the minors to work on legitimate stuff for a while and then call them up when there's a good balance between development and service time.  And keep an eye on the CBA and see if the rules change and adjust accordingly.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Or they could just do reasonable things and keep good prospects in the minors to work on legitimate stuff for a while and then call them up when there's a good balance between development and service time.  And keep an eye on the CBA and see if the rules change and adjust accordingly.

What's Diaz working on in AA? 

When guys are ready promote them.  If you are worried about service time extend them.

With the new CBA looming I'm willing to bet that extending them is going to be a smarter move than trying to manipulate their service time by holding them back in the minors.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What’s your evidence that Nunez has been horrible at 3B in his career?

UZR/150: +10.1

Rtot/yr: -1

Rdrs/yr: +2

Now, I will be the first to say that I thought he looked terrible at 3B this spring, and mediocre there in the few games I saw him play in 2018.    But I don’t see any statistical evidence of him having been horrible in his career.    And, he was dealing with a sore arm this spring so I don’t put too much weight on his poor defense then.   

All right, I will stand corrected. What I’ve seen of him has been terrible, and recent performance is much more important then past performance, however if he’s average for his career, and the evidence bears that out I will accept it. Thank you for your information

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When guys are ready promote them.  If you are worried about service time extend them.

With the new CBA looming I'm willing to bet that extending them is going to be a smarter move than trying to manipulate their service time by holding them back in the minors.

Agree with this and I want to see Mountcastle here sooner than later. However, I want him to be wearing a glove when he comes and not learn to play LF in the Majors.

That's the only reason I have for wanting him to stay in AAA.

42 minutes ago, Philip said:

All right, I will stand corrected. What I’ve seen of him has been terrible, and recent performance is much more important then past performance, however if he’s average for his career, and the evidence bears that out I will accept it. Thank you for your information

Oh, don’t roll over so easily!    He’s played less than 600 innings at 3B in the majors, so none of the stats I gave are that meaningful.   Let’s just say the stats don’t yet say he’s a horrible 3B.    He may still be one.   He’s barely played 3B this year, so there’s not much to go on there.   

Anyway, back to Santander...

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, which has meant that offenses in AAA have gone up from last year by a run a game.  Last year the IL scored 4.16 runs/game and had a .709 OPS.  This year it's 5.17 and .788.

Mountcastle's .865 OPS translated to the old AAA would have been something like a .785.  Lop off 30-50 points because it was the old ball and Harbor Park... and you get a guy who's probably, at this moment, a .725 OPS hitter in the majors.  That's probably what Mountcastle is today.  He'll improve, but a .725 OPS first baseman/LFer is just a random player.

You now probably have to take 125-150 points off a Tides player's OPS to get in the rough ballpark of what they'll hit in the majors.

Maybe they should make the major leaguers play with a minor league ball instead.

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

100% the ball.  Offense up about run a game in both the PCL and IL.  PCL is now just off the rails, with nearly six runs a game and MLB levels of homers.  The other day I looked up the A's affiliate in Vegas and they have players with almost 40 homers and an RBI a game that haven't gotten callups.

In AA and below where there was no change in the ball it's just normal season-to-season differences in run contexts.

Climate change.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Oh, don’t roll over so easily!    He’s played less than 600 innings at 3B in the majors, so none of the stats I gave are that meaningful.   Let’s just say the stats don’t yet say he’s a horrible 3B.    He may still be one.   He’s barely played 3B this year, so there’s not much to go on there.   

Anyway, back to Santander...

I say he’s horrible there! Sig says the eye test plays.

I heard “Tony” had a few hits yesterday.

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

What's Diaz working on in AA? 

Diaz is learning to hit consistently well.  I wouldn't say that .258/.331/.465 has shown mastery of the AA level.  And isn't he hurt?  

And Mountcastle... an .873 OPS is fine, but it's fourth on a bad Norfolk team.  It's not like he has nothing to work on. I think it's justifiable from a performance and development standpoint to have him stay down, with service time side benefits.  

Yes, extending them is better than playing a lot of games.  But despite Luke's and Tony's scouting reports I'm not 100% convinced Mountcastle is the kind of guy we're going to want to extend.  He could be a slow Alfonso Soriano, or he could be Cory Snyder.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Diaz is learning to hit consistently well.  I wouldn't say that .258/.331/.465 has shown mastery of the AA level.  And isn't he hurt?  

And Mountcastle... an .873 OPS is fine, but it's fourth on a bad Norfolk team.  It's not like he has nothing to work on. I think it's justifiable from a performance and development standpoint to have him stay down, with service time side benefits.  

Yes, extending them is better than playing a lot of games.  But despite Luke's and Tony's scouting reports I'm not 100% convinced Mountcastle is the kind of guy we're going to want to extend.  He could be a slow Alfonso Soriano, or he could be Cory Snyder.

Has everyone that has been promoted "shown mastery"?  Funny how that is used as an excuse for some players and not others.  My thinking is does Diaz gain anything from staying at AA instead of being promoted?  I don't think so.  Same for Mountcastle and AAA.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Has everyone that has been promoted "shown mastery"?  Funny how that is used as an excuse for some players and not others.  My thinking is does Diaz gain anything from staying at AA instead of being promoted?  I don't think so.  Same for Mountcastle and AAA.

It's all subjective. Every time a guy is promoted and hits .180 for three weeks he was rushed, and every time someone hits .299 for a month in AA and isn't called up the competence of the organization is questioned.  I'm usually in favor of aggressive promotion, but that's just a preference.  I don't know that it's objectively better than a more conservative approach.

Archived