Orioles and Matusz "Closing in on Deal"

bej6789

Agreed...

I think the O's are on a good path...but when it comes to things like this, there's still that fear in the pit of my stomach that we'll do something boneheaded...

I agree. When you're always taking the hard line you have to be able to prove you're serious. That means we'll have to walk away from a deal from time to time. See Roberts.

I hope this doesn't happen with Brady though.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Nats lose his rights, he'd be able to sign with any of the other 29 ML teams at the end of the independent league season correct? I'd love to take this guy away from the Nats if he proves he's worth the money...

I think they closed that loophole with the whole Tampa Bay fiasco in the mid 90's. I think now they just go back into the draft pool for next season. Which hopefully he gets hurt, and drops to the 10th round, that'll teach him to think he's better than other guys drafted after him which odds are some will have a better career.

I'm predicting that the Sun article was misleading, and the Os and Matusz were really not that close. It'll come down to the last minute again, but he'll sign.

They sure have turned us into a skeptical jaded bunch, eh? Hard to say this isn't a distinct possibility.

I don't think they lose his rights unless they pick him again next year and he refuses once again to sign, but he can't sign with another ML team until he goes back into the draft next year.

If a team does not sign the drafted player by August 15th, they are prevented from drafting him in next years draft. Without the permission of the player.

MLB Amateur Draft on Wiki

A player who is drafted and does not sign with the club that selected him may be drafted again at a future year's draft, so long as the player is eligible for that year's draft. A club may not select a player again in a subsequent year, unless the player has consented to the re-selection.

If a team does not sign the drafted player by August 15th, they are prevented from drafting him in next years draft. Without the permission of the player.

MLB Amateur Draft on Wiki

ah so they CAN'T redraft him. That makes sense actually and requires them to negotiate in good faith. But it screws Crow this year unless he thinks he's willing to wait for next year's draft payday.

I think they closed that loophole with the whole Tampa Bay fiasco in the mid 90's. I think now they just go back into the draft pool for next season. Which hopefully he gets hurt, and drops to the 10th round, that'll teach him to think he's better than other guys drafted after him which odds are some will have a better career.

So Crow has to go back into the draft? I would think he would be able to choose if he wanted to go back in or not once he left college and signed with a independent team.

So Crow has to go back into the draft? I would think he would be able to choose if he wanted to go back in or not once he left college and signed with a independent team.
Why would you think that?

If that was the case, it would be stupid beyond comprehension for any early draft pick to sign with the team that drafted them. They could just sit out a year and then become a FA.

It's also useful to remember that the player that doesn't sign by the 15th can still reach an accomodation with the drafting team until the day of the next year's draft.
No, if a player isn't signed by the 15th, they can't sign after that date and re-enter the draft the next year.

It's also useful to remember that the player that doesn't sign by the 15th can still reach an accomodation with the drafting team until the day of the next year's draft.

However, Crow should read up on Matt Harrington's experience with going Indie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Harrington

No that was the old rule, they did away with that a few years back. Now if you don't sign by 8/15 you lose all draft rights to that player.

However, Crow should read up on Matt Harrington's experience with going Indie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Harrington

Yeah, sad story with Harrington.

But there are successes too. Didn't Bobby Hill go play for the Newark Bears after the Cubs took him, and wound up getting a deal closer to what he wanted?

Archived