Orioles and Matusz "Closing in on Deal"

bej6789

Yeah, sad story with Harrington.

But there are successes too. Didn't Bobby Hill go play for the Newark Bears after the Cubs took him, and wound up getting a deal closer to what he wanted?

The Harrington story is more a cautionary tale of hubris, ego, and a distorted sense of one's own value than it is a sad story.

I read that and I could believe it. Truly the dumbest negotiation/career strategy I've ever read.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Harrington story is more a cautionary tale of hubris, ego, and a distorted sense of one's own value than it is a sad story.

I read that and I could believe it. Truly the dumbest negotiation/career strategy I've ever read.

Cautionary, yes, because in the end he made quite a few poor decisions.

Sad because he and his family were taken in by a swindling agent.

Agreed. It's not sad just a tale of a cocky young man whose sense of self was far greater than it should've been. How fantastically stupid to turn down the contract the second time he got drafted.

You might say he was a cockeyed optimist...

Not to mention the fact that he got himself mixed up in a high stakes game of world diplomacy and international intrigue.

I predict we will all be glued to our computer screens Friday night nearing midnight as we wait to hear coinfirmation that a deal has been reached.

I think the signing deadline is earlier, like 4:00pm ET.

Can anyone confirm this?

EDIT: Nevermind... looks like it is mid-night. BA has a counter on their main page.

So Pete is it any different with Matusz? He wants according to a post eysterday 5 million. He is not worth that by anymeans. So he is thinking he is worth more than he is. As for Harrington it is very sad when somethnfg like that happens to someone. IMO

I like it. Matusz gets above slot and a MLB deal, the O's don't have to pay a ridiculous amount.

Win-win. Nice job by Jordan here.

Now I'm just awaiting Matusz' email to know things are going smoothly :)

Archived