Orioles and Matusz "Closing in on Deal"

bej6789

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep in mind that Adam Loewen's MLB contract was done when he was a high school pitcher. That is way different than Matusz, who is much more polished through a couple years of college ball and would likely come to the majors much sooner anyway. I don't think the club or the Orioles fans should be turned off by the thought of another 1st round pitcher being given an MLB contract, because the circumstances are waaay different.

I take your point, but then again the circumstances are not very different at all from Jeremy Guthrie, who was a more polished first round pick out of an excellent college baseball program and also got a major league deal.

Guthrie might have been (a) rushed and (b) mishandled at the ML level, but Cleveland doesn't have him anymore, either.

28. Yankees: Gerrit Cole – The New York Times is reporting that the Cole has decided to go to college, more because of a change of heart than any kind of bonus demands. While this seems like it could be posturing, industry rumors have the Yankees believing that he will not sign.

He had a change of heart after being chosen by the Yankees? I gotta respect that. :)

Kevin Goldstein of BP says this about the signing status of Matusz:

4. Orioles: Brian Matusz – Crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s on a deal. Money figures have been agreed upon.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=988

This is good news ...Hopefully it will happen earlier today as I dont want to be up to midnight waiting to find out:eek:

Archived