What did Bleier do?

AceKing

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He doesn’t strike anyone out. Hard to be effective in modern baseball. 

I wonder if he thinks his stuff needs to be defended differently than others on the staff? Who knows. 

Flores isn’t just throwing stuff against the wall.  

This is a good point worth exploring. There have to be pitchers that are outliers to the modern practice of shifting on  nearly every opposing hitter.  

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Nice job by Jim Hunter not asking Hyde about it postgame. I just don’t get it. 

I understand the local broadcasters are not going to go out of their way to be negative. I mean it is common sense. That said how can you interview the manager and talk about every pitcher used other than Bleier and what happened? 

It’s Jim Hunter.

There’s been more dugout drama this season than I remember from the last decade plus. It’s not a good look for sure. I’m not blaming the coaches per se, but they may need to learn to be more stoic during the games. Not great to have players yelling f u to coaches on TV, etc. 

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I didn't see what started it originally as I just got back home.

Also, look at Shawn Armstrong jumping in and telling Flores to "eff off," and Cossin's getting Flores away and not yapping at the players.

Not real happy with Flores following Bleier like that honestly. Guys say stuff in competition, but that is a coach going after a player who didn't show him up. I don't know the whole story, but that doesn't look good for Flores. I do like Armstrong jumping in a protecting his fellow pitcher. 

Looks like the opposite of the Davis/Hyde thing.

7 minutes ago, survivedc said:

This ticks me off. Probably some attachment to Bleier who has been pretty good here for a couple years, but that’s out of line for a Coach.

Hope Hyde sorts them both out.

That's where I am. Bleier has been bad this year and has never really recovered to his pre-injury form, but I'm not sure there's a reason for the coach to go after a player like that, especially after the microscope that this staff is under after the Hyde-Davis thing.

2 hours ago, survivedc said:

This ticks me off. Probably some attachment to Bleier who has been pretty good here for a couple years, but that’s out of line for a Coach.

Hope Hyde sorts them both out.

That's one problematic consequence of the Hyde/Davis altercation: When he verbally provoked Davis--intentionally or not--it gave him less authority or cred in resolving other player/coach spats. A bit different from the atmosphere in Buck's and John Russell's dugout. Probably also helped to have people like Adam and Schoop around.

Just a small, completely idle note: neither Davis nor Bleier have a rep for being hotheads or cranky. Encourages conjectures about whatever has been festering in the dugout to be even more negative.

Cashner may have been an intangible good influence. It is the second youngest team in the league.

The 

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

That's one problematic consequence of the Hyde/Davis altercation: When he verbally provoked Davis--intentionally or not--it gave him less authority or cred in resolving other player/coach spats. A bit different from the atmosphere in Buck's and John Russell's dugout. Probably also helped to have people like Adam and Schoop around.

Well the difference was two brilliant baseball minds and now we have Hyde and Flores. 

6 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

It’s Jim Hunter.

Never said I was surprised. 

I mean he literally asked about every pitcher used but Ynoa and one other , I guess it was just a coincidence. 

I went to bed after that. I see MASN did show the Bleier interview where Roch and others asked him about it. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Never said I was surprised. 

I mean he literally asked about every pitcher used but Ynoa and one other , I guess it was just a coincidence. 

I went to bed after that. I see MASN did show the Bleier interview where Roch and others asked him about it. 

No one interviewed the coach? i guess Hyde will do the talking for him.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Is there a reason Flores isn't likely to be back?

His behavior in that video would be enough for me. Add to that, the lack of progress made by Nunez on defense. Nunez made a lot of progress last year, but that seems to have disappeared. The throwing program they put him on hurt him more than helped him.

I also don't like the positioning of infielders, but I realize it is probably dictated by analytics. Just my opinion, but I think that a team with bad infielders should put them in more traditional positions, as they may be more likely to make the plays from positions they are used to covering. Our guys seem to make a lot of mistakes when they are in extreme shifts. Just put them where they are most likely to be successful and hope the ball gets hit in their vicinity.

Archived