Is Sisco Toast?

Aristotelian

Early in a complete rebuild, why do we not take a deep breath, swallow hard and go with Severino at C until our #1 pick gets up here. Most every position on the team needs new people, so let's focus on the positions where we may not have the good help coming, unlike C where good help s/b coming soon. And pray that the team is not allowed to be run into the ground like this team was for years.  

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So it’s Steve ‘s fault he has been playing out of position? 

On this team he certainly could be. Not as a CF. 

My issue is folks dumping on Sisco while letting other players, who are doing even worse, slide.

Now that Stewart has started hitting a bit folks are going back to their default punching bag.

No need for a reactionary rant about Sisco.  No new ground was being covered. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My issue is folks dumping on Sisco while letting other players, who are doing even worse, slide.

Now that Stewart has started hitting a bit folks are going back to their default punching bag.

You are right, last night was nothing new. That is the problem. Sisco has been given chances to improve and has made zero progress. There hadn't been a thread on Sisco in a while, so I figured I would start one and see how others are assessing his progress.

Other guys being bad does not make Sisco any better. Arguably,  he is arguably the worst defensive player on the team. -6 DRS in only 47 games. That is certainly Mancini and Nunez level of bad, and I think the board is pretty consistent in calling out their defense as well as Villar, etc.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I dump on sloppy plays and players. Villar, Alberto, Núñez, Davis, Everybody makes a sloppy play is a subject. And I’m not very keen on Stewart, either. The problem with sisco is that the other guys aren’t necessarily bad all the time, but he is, and he’s embarrassing. He just can’t throw, he can’t tag, he can’t do much of anything where catching is concerned, And he was our second round pick.

He has gotten his strike out rate down to 30% and it had been close to 50%, and I give him credit for an improving eye, But it’s pretty clear that he was a waste of a pick.

You are correct that at this point in The teams time frame, a bad catcher is not much of an issue. But I agree with the people who say Severino should be our catcher and Sisco should be the back up, and as soon as one of our developing guys is ready we should outright Sisco Until he can learn another position.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I dump on sloppy plays and players. Villar, Alberto, Núñez, Davis, Everybody makes a sloppy play is a subject. And I’m not very keen on Stewart, either. The problem with sisco is that the other guys aren’t necessarily bad all the time, but he is, and he’s embarrassing. He just can’t throw, he can’t tag, he can’t do much of anything where catching is concerned, And he was our second round pick.

He has gotten his strike out rate down to 30% and it had been close to 50%, and I give him credit for an improving eye, But it’s pretty clear that he was a waste of a pick.

You are correct that at this point in The teams time frame, a bad catcher is not much of an issue. But I agree with the people who say Severino should be our catcher and Sisco should be the back up, and as soon as one of our developing guys is ready we should outright Sisco Until he can learn another position.

I've said it before but I guess I'll have to repeat myself.

If you think a second round pick that makes it to the majors was a waste of a pick you don't understand the MLB draft.

You want to see what a wasted draft pick looks like?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=hart--001jos

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've said it before but I guess I'll have to repeat myself.

If you think a second round pick that makes it to the majors was a waste of a pick you don't understand the MLB draft.

You want to see what a wasted draft pick looks like?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=hart--001jos

Remember, to be a good draft pick you have to be in the 90th or 95th percentile.  If you're in the 75th percentile you're a bum you should have stopped playing in high school.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Remember, to be a good draft pick you have to be in the 90th or 95th percentile.  If you're in the 75th percentile you're a bum you should have stopped playing in high school.

Second round picks should be perennial all-stars. 

Getting to the majors at 22 isn't impressive at all.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

...should have stopped playing in high school.

That's the 29 year old having repeated AA without making the 40 man roster. Two Kids. Wife going to school.  That's the guy. 

But we still dream on him as long as affiliated ball will have him.  It's only 800 or so that are real professional baseball players.  But union minimum is good work if you can make that hurdle. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm literally shaking my head.  Kid makes it to the majors at 22 and some guy is calling him a wasted draft pick.

Bubba Starling went fifth, in a loaded draft, made his debut at 26 and has -.6rWAR.

61st overall picks should be starting in the NFL for years and years.  Not hanging out on the practice squad for five or six seasons like Sisco.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

So why is it an issue that Sisco’s defense is a topic? I just think people were hoping for some improvement this year with the glove. I thought early on there was some modest things that were better. Overall I just don’t see enough. 

Once again I am fine with him playing. 

What types of defensive metrics are we attempting to evaluate Chance with?