Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

In fact, Hays' promotion this September tells me that Elias is not worried about service time with Hays. I could see him starting the season as the CF next year with a good spring. 

Hays slashed .303/.349/.505/.854 over his last 25 games this season at AAA so he was beginning to put up the numbers the team would like to see. 

I'd like to see Hays start everyday down the stretch this September and then go put up some numbers in the AFL. If he does that and puts up good numbers next summer, I don't see any reason why he won't start 2020 as the opening day CFer.

I think Corn was talking about service time games with Mountcastle. Agree with your take on Hays though. 

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't agree with that.   That would be rushing Hays.  Elias more likely to place Hays at AAA until he hits well and use a guy like Williams or equal in center to begin 2020.

Now if Hays hits in September the might change.

You have to remember that September is also when the pitching of non-contending teams gets diluted. Not to the extent of spring training, of course, but it does make hitting stats a bit unreliable.

17 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

In fact, Hays' promotion this September tells me that Elias is not worried about service time with Hays. I could see him starting the season as the CF next year with a good spring. 

Hays slashed .303/.349/.505/.854 over his last 25 games this season at AAA so he was beginning to put up the numbers the team would like to see. 

I'd like to see Hays start everyday down the stretch this September and then go put up some numbers in the AFL. If he does that and puts up good numbers next summer, I don't see any reason why he won't start 2020 as the opening day CFer.

I don't think its certain that Hays will hit in September and if he doesn't that puts his beginning the 2020 season with the O's in jeopardy IMO.  

On 9/7/2019 at 4:38 PM, MurphDogg said:

Hopefully it will be Hays or Mason Williams in center every game for the rest of the season and we don't see Santander or Wilkerson there again.

While Hays is here he needs to be playing 90% of the time. I respect what Wilkerson did this year. He was nowhere in the conversation for CF up until we threw him out there. I think he played decent considering everything. 

I want to see a lot of Hays, Stewart, Santander, outfield configurations the rest of the year. 

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

While Hays is here he needs to be playing 90% of the time. I respect what Wilkerson did this year. He was nowhere in the conversation for CF up until we threw him out there. I think he played decent considering everything. 

I want to see a lot of Hays, Stewart, Santander, outfield configurations the rest of the year. 

I think we also may see Williams in the OF.   If Hays does not hit Williams maybe the O's fall back player in center to start 2020.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree.  I also wonder if Hays will go to AZ when it starts on the 14th anyway.  In the mean time I think we need to see the following for development purposes

C - Sisco/Severino

1B-Mancini/Nunez

2B - Alberto/Villar

SS - Martin

3B - Ruiz / Alberto

LF - Stewart

CF - Hays/Williams

RF - Santander

DH - Nunez/Mancini/Villar/Alberto

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I expect they will mostly platoon Hays and Willams in CF. with a little Santander and Wilkerson sprinkled in. There are too few games left for Hays or Williams to prove anything with the bat, but good defensive showings would help build a case.

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

You have to remember that September is also when the pitching of non-contending teams gets diluted. Not to the extent of spring training, of course, but it does make hitting stats a bit unreliable.

I've read that September W/L records get more extreme - the good teams tend to get better, the bad teams tend to get worse.  There are exceptions, of course. 

But I wonder how much a bad team can benefit more from having a 16- or 18-man pitching staff.  Especially today where nobody cares about the starter going seven innings.  Just use 8-9 fresh pitchers every single game.  The good teams may be more likely to stay on semi-regular usage patterns prepping for the playoffs.

31 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I expect they will mostly platoon Hays and Willams in CF. with a little Santander and Wilkerson sprinkled in. There are too few games left for Hays or Williams to prove anything with the bat, but good defensive showings would help build a case.

It would be weird to call up 2 true CFers and then continue to put Santander and Wilkerson back in CF. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I've read that September W/L records get more extreme - the good teams tend to get better, the bad teams tend to get worse.  There are exceptions, of course. 

But I wonder how much a bad team can benefit more from having a 16- or 18-man pitching staff.  Especially today where nobody cares about the starter going seven innings.  Just use 8-9 fresh pitchers every single game.  The good teams may be more likely to stay on semi-regular usage patterns prepping for the playoffs.

If the "fresh pitchers" are not major league quality then its does not matter how many pitchers are on the team.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the "fresh pitchers" are not major league quality then its does not matter how many pitchers are on the team.

Sure it does.  A mediocre pitcher, rested, and throwing max effort, is usually more effective than a mid-rotation starter a third time through the order.  That's the whole reason we've gone from nine-man staffs to 13 or 14 or more (especially in September), plus expanded rosters via constant shuttling to AAA, in my lifetime.