Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But why not work on it at the ML level during a non-competitive season?  What is the downside?

Also, not as if LF  is a skilled position.  Spring training should be enough time to get him up to speed.

This is 100% service time.

I believe it is fair to say that when Elias says service time does not factor in at all that he is saying what he would like to do, not necessarily what they will do.  So, it is certainly fair to say that service time on some of these guys will be a factor.  To say it's 100% THE factor seems to ignore some pretty obvious other possible reasons.  1)  Maybe they don't want any of the young guys they think are part of the future to get here until they can get rid of more of the old guard. (Chris Davis) 2)  Maybe they would simply like him to be more comfortable in his own shoes before they drop him in the everyday lineup.  And let's be honest.  There is no reason to have him in Baltimore if he isn't a regular.  3)  Maybe they really intend to clear out the logjam of 1b/DH/LF before he arrives.

I don't know and I do agree that it's time.  But I am open to there being some other thought that goes along the lines of the above.  Of course on top of that, there is the service time thing.  And again, I don't think it has no impact on thinking.  But I don't think they are in the position of basing him staying down 100% for service time.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Back to Hays, here’s an article and video highlighting some defensive plays he made in his season debut   .   Frankly, they’re all plays I would have expected him to make.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-recall-austin-hays-from-triple-a

Yes.  I noticed that he seems to climb the wall better than Stevie.  His arm looks solid.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Back to Hays, here’s an article and video highlighting some defensive plays he made in his season debut   .   Frankly, they’re all plays I would have expected him to make.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-recall-austin-hays-from-triple-a

Yeah, first two were solid plays and the third play (the at-em ball) wasn't a good play at all, he totally misjudged it and barely recovered. 

7 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I believe it is fair to say that when Elias says service time does not factor in at all that he is saying what he would like to do, not necessarily what they will do.  So, it is certainly fair to say that service time on some of these guys will be a factor.  To say it's 100% THE factor seems to ignore some pretty obvious other possible reasons.  1)  Maybe they don't want any of the young guys they think are part of the future to get here until they can get rid of more of the old guard. (Chris Davis) 2)  Maybe they would simply like him to be more comfortable in his own shoes before they drop him in the everyday lineup.  And let's be honest.  There is no reason to have him in Baltimore if he isn't a regular.  3)  Maybe they really intend to clear out the logjam of 1b/DH/LF before he arrives.

I don't know and I do agree that it's time.  But I am open to there being some other thought that goes along the lines of the above.  Of course on top of that, there is the service time thing.  And again, I don't think it has no impact on thinking.  But I don't think they are in the position of basing him staying down 100% for service time.  

1- If they think the mere presence of someone like Davis is detrimental to young players they need to get him off the roster.  If he feels that strongly on the topic he needs to go to ownership and make it happen or quit.  You can't have a guy on the roster that you feel that way about.

2- I'm not sure what you are trying to say.  How is sitting at home better for him?

3- 40 man roster, plenty of room for him, don't play Davis and Trumbo.  I also think that being on the roster and working with the staff is preferable to sitting at home even if he doesn't get into games.  No reason they can't get the roster straightened out by next spring.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

1- If they think the mere presence of someone like Davis is detrimental to young players they need to get him off the roster.  If he feels that strongly on the topic he needs to go to ownership and make it happen or quit.  You can't have a guy on the roster that you feel that way about.

2- I'm not sure what you are trying to say.  How is sitting at home better for him?

3- 40 man roster, plenty of room for him, don't play Davis and Trumbo.  I also think that being on the roster and working with the staff is preferable to sitting at home even if he doesn't get into games.  No reason they can't get the roster straightened out by next spring.

All completely fair opinions.  I don't even disagree on one.  I think Davis will be gone after 2019.  And of course there is room on the 40 and he will be on the 40 soon enough.  But Davis and Trumbo are both here and again, I could see them not wanting to have him sit while they share time.  I don't think sitting at home would be better and personally I'd rather him be up.  I was just pushing back that the only reason he isn't' is service time.  I think there are other factors behind the call and while I had hoped he would be I am fine if they think it best not to do so.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, interloper said:

There's plenty of potential downside. Doesn't mean it wouldn't work out if he's called up now, just that there's some development risk with the huge jump in pitching talent he'd face followed by pressing, potentially abandoning any plate discipline due to said pressing, resulting in loss of confidence, etc. 

Also, you want to feel confident about where you play him in the field, and they clearly do not. 

Huge jump?  It is always going to be the same level of jump, whenever he takes the leap.  It won't be any easier next May. 

On the defense note, I'll repeat what I have been saying.  It would be better for him to get reps in the majors instead of sitting at home.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Philip said:

Is Stewart’s D as bad as it looks so far? I don’t remember any comments about his defense, so have no idea how to judge his performance so far. Is he a defensive improvement on Smith?

His defense overall has not been very good, and probably is Smith-esque if given a whole season. He'll need to improve or up his offensive game as a DH. 

I'm on the fence with Stewart. While I still see some upside in his bat, I'm just not sure it's enough to overcome his defensive inadequacies.

29 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, first two were solid plays and the third play (the at-em ball) wasn't a good play at all, he totally misjudged it and barely recovered. 

While I think Hays can become an effective defensive CFer when it's said and done, particularly because of his footspeed, he's never been a guy who gets a lot of great jumps or takes great routes. He's just able to overcome them because of his sprint speed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

There was also a man on 1st, guy hit a gapper that he cut off and the runner was held (same inning as the first 2 outs you mentioned).  They got out of the inning without damage and it likely saved a run.  Not sure if other guys cut it off, but it was a nice play.

7 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

There was also a man on 1st, guy hit a gapper that he cut off and the runner was held (same inning as the first 2 outs you mentioned).  They got out of the inning without damage and it likely saved a run.  Not sure if other guys cut it off, but it was a nice play.

I saw that, he's got a good RF arm, so it plays in CF, the runner was smart not to try it. 

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huge jump?  It is always going to be the same level of jump, whenever he takes the leap.  It won't be any easier next May. 

On the defense note, I'll repeat what I have been saying.  It would be better for him to get reps in the majors instead of sitting at home.

I think we're all assuming next May but perhaps we shouldn't.