The draft, in hindsight

We all had our opinions of the draft on draft day. How do we feel about it now?

Personally, I was a bit dubious on draft day. I was torn as to whether we should have taken Matusz or a hitter (though I was fine with the pick). I thought our first few picks included a couple of reaches. And, of course, it remained to be seen how we'd do signing our picks.

Looking at it now:

1. It's much more clear that the team still needs a lot of pitching depth, with the Loewen and Albers injuries and shaky performances by Olson, Liz and Penn (in the minors). Meanwhile, the hitting for the Orioles has been much better ever since draft day, and several minor league hitters (Montanez, Reimold, Snyder, Adams) have really picked up the pace as the season has progressed since them. Add in the fact that Matusz has now signed, at a reasonable price, and I say -- great call on Matusz!

2. L.J. Hoes has looked really good in the GCL.

3. Miclat played very well in Cape Cod.

4. 14 of 15 top picks have signed, plus a couple of talented guys who dropped lower due to contract demands. Hopefully we get Brady done.

Add it all up, and I feel better about our draft today then I felt on draft day. This has the makings of a very good draft class.

I think this is an solid to very strong draft - same as I thought on draft day.

We drafted a very solid, safe college pitcher who should move quickly and has upside to a 1 or 2 (more likely, obviously). Then we took some high potential HS bats (Avery and Hoes) and later signed a high upside college arm (Bundy to a well-above slot bonus nearly unprecedented in team history after the fifth round). There is other respectable talent all over the place.

IMO, signing Brady would really make this a very strong draft. Adding two second/third round talents after the seventh round would really be something.

I think this is an solid to very strong draft - same as I thought on draft day.

We drafted a very solid, safe college pitcher who should move quickly and has upside to a 1 or 2 (more likely, obviously). Then we took some high potential HS bats (Avery and Hoes) and later signed a high upside college arm (Bundy to a well-above slot bonus nearly unprecedented in team history after the fifth round). There is other respectable talent all over the place.

IMO, signing Brady would really make this a very strong draft. Adding two second/third round talents after the seventh round would really be something.

High School, no?

I still wish we had drafted some corner/power guys.

Other than Smoak and Alozno, those two positions were deemed fairly weak in this years draft. Also, it may be a fair indication that the FO feels that guys like Snyder and Rowell will eventually contribute in the next 3 to 5 years.

Very above average draft overall, there's a fair possibility that we will see BM in the pros late next year a la David Price. Also, guys like Hoes and Avery will start to make up the next wave of young players after guys like Roberts decide to retire.

Other than Smoak and Alozno, those two positions were deemed fairly weak in this years draft. Also, it may be a fair indication that the FO feels that guys like Snyder and Rowell will eventually contribute in the next 3 to 5 years.

Very above average draft overall, there's a fair possibility that we will see BM in the pros late next year a la David Price. Also, guys like Hoes and Avery will start to make up the next wave of young players after guys like Roberts decide to retire.

3rd base was very deep this year.

I wish we would have gambled on Melville, and like SG wish we would have gotten in on one of those corner bats, but I'm not going to complain much, I have a lot of respect for JJ and trust him.

Hoes could turn into a great lead-off guy by the early starts (then again we all remember Chris Vinyard and thought he was the next Morneau). Brady I think could be a real good project (I say that cause he needs a breaking pitch) and BM looks like the real deal.

Archived