KG for 2020

BohKnowsBmore

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

KG would be fine on a short deal IMO. I don’t think he would come back unless he has no other opportunities.

I don’t think Elias would prefer him over any other comparable option. I don’t think they will care that he was here before.

(1) there may not be many comparable options (i.e. combination of recent poor performance, proven ability at the ML level, relative youth)

(2) it may be just as important that KG knows Baltimore and may be more open to coming here to reestablish value vs. other comparable options who have no experience pitching in Baltimore

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

(1) there may not be many comparable options (i.e. combination of recent poor performance, proven ability at the ML level, relative youth)

(2) it may be just as important that KG knows Baltimore and may be more open to coming here to reestablish value vs. other comparable options who have no experience pitching in Baltimore

I agree

19 hours ago, jarman86 said:

If he is best option available to us as a starter candidate, then sure. Everyone is keen to rush Kremer and Akin to the show, and in the same breath talks how Gausman was rushed and shuttled back and forth.  Arrieta was used the same way.  I hope we buy 1-2 capable starters to short term contracts then rush our prospects.  Hopefully, the prospects will force Elias to trade or cut the guys we signed.  That's just my two cents.  Elias said Akin isn't ready and I think our Bowie rotation needs a couple months in AAA. 

It’s a big stretch to compare Akin’s development path to Gausman’s.    Akin’s has been as methodical as can be: one full year at Frederick, one full year at Bowie, one full year at Norfolk.     Gausman on the other hand had 47.1 innings at Bowie before being called to the majors the first time, then was yo-yoed back and forth between the minors and the majors during the rest of 2013 and in 2014-15.

Edit:   I do not mean to suggest that I would have Akin on our OD roster next year.   He was just so-so in AAA, and I’d be fine giving him another month or two down there, both to give him a little more time to find his groove and to preserve service time.    And, I think Kremer will need most or all of the year in AAA.     He didn’t exactly thrive once he got promoted and started using the major league ball last year.    

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:45 AM, Frobby said:

It’s a big stretch to compare Akin’s development path to Gausman’s.    Akin’s has been as methodical as can be: one full year at Frederick, one full year at Bowie, one full year at Norfolk.     Gausman on the other hand had 47.1 innings at Bowie before being called to the majors the first time, then was yo-yoed back and forth between the minors and the majors during the rest of 2013 and in 2014-15.

Edit:   I do not mean to suggest that I would have Akin on our OD roster next year.   He was just so-so in AAA, and I’d be fine giving him another month or two down there, both to give him a little more time to find his groove and to preserve service time.    And, I think Kremer will need most or all of the year in AAA.     He didn’t exactly thrive once he got promoted and started using the major league ball last year.    

I wasn't comparing developments, just stating that I would prefer Akin to come up and stay up, at least for a while, rather than the shuttle bus to and from Norfolk that every other pitching prospect was on in the Showalter days.  That messes with a pitcher's routine and psyche.  Just when people are calling for these prospects to get a chance and promoted, no one has been banging on the door exactly pitching wise, so my point was I'd rather pay for some MLB starters on 1-2 year deals than just go back to our old system of chewing up prospects. 

58 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

I wasn't comparing developments, just stating that I would prefer Akin to come up and stay up, at least for a while, rather than the shuttle bus to and from Norfolk that every other pitching prospect was on in the Showalter days.  That messes with a pitcher's routine and psyche.  Just when people are calling for these prospects to get a chance and promoted, no one has been banging on the door exactly pitching wise, so my point was I'd rather pay for some MLB starters on 1-2 year deals than just go back to our old system of chewing up prospects. 

Thanks for the clarification, and I agree.    Of course, it’s easier to ride with a pitcher who’s going through some growing pains at the major league level when you’re not in contention.   Showalter was in a different position for most of his tenure here.    

On 9/23/2019 at 9:39 PM, BohKnowsBmore said:

How would you feel about bringing KG back for 2020 to be the #4/#5 SP? He’s been pretty bad this season, so I’m guessing he’ll be non-tendered. Seems like he might be a decent reclamation project target given his pedigree and past success in Baltimore. Maybe a cheap 2020 with an option for 2021?

I think Gausman is exactly the type of pitcher we will be targeting this off-season.  I would not be surprised (or mad) if this happens. 2020 off-season I hope we will be setting our goals a little higher 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jarman86 said:

My expectation is that this management will not buy any pitching. 

Just now, connja said:

I think Gausman is exactly the type of pitcher we will be targeting this off-season.  I would not be surprised (or mad) if this happens. 2020 off-season I hope we will be setting our goals a little higher 

I believe with all my heart that the Orioles will not be "targeting" anything. That costs money. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I expect similar conduct to last offseason.   Maybe 1-2 flyers on Kearns/Straily types.    Otherwise, waiver wire and MiL free agents.   

Straily was during the season correct? I think the Karns thing was a mistake. And it is one not likely to be repeated. 

16 minutes ago, weams said:

Straily was during the season correct? I think the Kearns thing was a mistake. And it is one not likely to be repeated. 

Meh, the Karns thing might have worked out, it just didn’t.    Very little money involved.    I’m not against a well-targeted flyer or two on pitchers like that.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Meh, the Karns thing might have worked out, it just didn’t.    Very little money involved.    I’m not against a well-targeted flyer or two on pitchers like that.

I think the Straily was essentially at minimum also. So yeah.  I don;t see them spending a million though. 

1 hour ago, connja said:

I think we will be targeting any pitcher who throws hard and is willing to take the minimum.

• Upvote 1