KG for 2020

BohKnowsBmore

12 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

How would you feel about bringing KG back for 2020 to be the #4/#5 SP? He’s been pretty bad this season, so I’m guessing he’ll be non-tendered. Seems like he might be a decent reclamation project target given his pedigree and past success in Baltimore. Maybe a cheap 2020 with an option for 2021?

Sure   If he plays for league minimum. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

That was also a singular event.

With the O's you have a pattern of players, many of which cost a draft pick, signing (or not signing) with the O's late in the process.  When it happens a half dozen times over the span of a few years it indicates to me that the players only signed with the O's when they were sure other teams wouldn't make a comparable offer.  Yes I understand that at some level that is how all these deals work out. 

Do you think any of those pitchers signs with the O's if another team (pick one) makes the same offer?   

I will accept that Cruz preferred Baltimore to Seattle.

I don’t know what these players think.    But I think many times, they think better offers are coming and when they don’t, they take the best one that comes along.    It doesn’t necessarily hinge on their view of the team.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know what these players think.    But I think many times, they think better offers are coming and when they don’t, they take the best one that comes along.    It doesn’t necessarily hinge on their view of the team.    

I agree. Sometime it is just circumstances. It is rarely a question of culture or competition. At least at the middling levels. And Cruz was of that level. He had just come off a big steroid suspension. 

It's money or opportunity or location most likely. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do believe these players buy in to whatever their agents are selling. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think they were even when the team was winning.   Exhibits A-F: Cruz, Jiménez, Fowler, Gallardo, Cashner and Cobb.

I said before Andy, and specifically the 14 year period, when we could not land a big name FA, even when we waved money, the organization was considered a laughing stock and a joke.