KG for 2020

BohKnowsBmore

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

No.  F'ing.  Way.  

I'm not sure I understand this sentiment.  He was a 3 WAR pitcher as recently as 2018.

If you don't think the price/money will work, that's fine.  I just don't quite understand the immediate rejection/revulsion to the idea considering some of the guys we trotted out this year.

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I'm not sure I understand this sentiment.  He was a 3 WAR pitcher as recently as 2018.

If you don't think the price/money will work, that's fine.  I just don't quite understand the immediate rejection/revulsion to the idea considering some of the guys we trotted out this year.

Just because he was a 3 WAR pitcher didn't mean I enjoyed watching him pitch.  

At this point, he's a known quantity.  Would prefer to see what we have with other guys that should be coming up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Just because he was a 3 WAR pitcher didn't mean I enjoyed watching him pitch.  

At this point, he's a known quantity.  Would prefer to see what we have with other guys that should be coming up.

LOL.  I think we know what we have with the other guys as well.  They are known to be terrible pitchers who don't belong in the MLB.  

39 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

A KG reunion would be fine. I just don't think it's in the cards. Elias doesn't have a soft spot for Ex-Os for obvious reasons.

Elias may not have a soft spot for KG, but I think the reverse aspect May be more relevant here. If KG goes anywhere on a prove-it deal, he may be relatively more interested in Baltimore than other similar players. 

15 hours ago, weams said:

I don't. I'm serious. They have one chance to get this right. 

Signing Kevin Gausman for a 1 year contract isn't stopping them from getting anything right.  They need 3 starters next season. Even if Akin is ready at some point Gausman wouldn't be stopping anyone young players from pitching. 

• Upvote 1

It’s just all make up with Gausman. Compare him to Means. 

Fastball - Advantage Gausman

Change up - Advantage Means, but years ago this was crazy to think. 

Breaking ball -Advantage Means. Gausman just never got his breaking pitch together. 

Being a Pitcher versus a Thrower - Means. 

So much that all Gausman needed was some combo of the NL/bigger ballparks/new pitching coach/change of scenery. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Breaking ball -Advantage Means. Gausman just never got his breaking pitch together. 

So much that all Gausman needed was some combo of the NL/bigger ballparks/new pitching coach/change of scenery. 

When Gausman was drafted DD said Gausman had a major league fastball and change-up and that is all you needed to be an effective starter in the big leagues. He seems to have been rushed to the Majors without being given a chance to effectively develop another pitch.  

Just now, atomic said:

When Gausman was drafted DD said Gausman had a major league fastball and change-up and that is all you needed to be an effective starter in the big leagues. He seems to have been rushed to the Majors without being given a chance to effectively develop another pitch.  

I did not like the way he was yo-yoed up and down his first few years with the team.   But by this point, it’s on him.    

I’m happy that Elias is showing patience with our pitching prospects.    

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I feel like this last comment completely diminishes the success that he was able to have at the ML level prior to 2019.  Maybe he never turned into the TOR guy we were hoping for, but he was never a bad pitcher, which this comment seems to insinuate.

2013: 47.2 IP;  -0.4 rWAR/0.4 fWAR
2014: 113.1 IP;  1.2 rWAR/2.0 fWAR
2015: 112.1 IP;  1.2 rWAR/1.5 fWAR
2016: 179.2 IP;  4.1 rWAR/3.1 fWAR
2017: 186.2 IP;  2.1 rWAR/2.6 fWAR
2018: 183.2 IP;  3.3 rWAR/2.3 fWAR

FWIW, fWAR even has him as a 1.5 win pitcher in 2019

I'm not saying that I think he's going to be some amazing pitcher were we to bring him back, but the apparent insinuation that he's complete garbage and not worth revisiting is a bit baffling to me.  I think the biggest argument against him coming back would be price as @Can_of_corn mentioned.  There's likely another team that is willing to offer him more money than the 2020 Orioles under Elias.