Orioles Analytics Before Elias

weams

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That triggered a thought... are there disadvantages to being a player from somewhere like the Dominican Republic who not only is a native Spanish speaker but also stopped their education at the age of 15 or 16?  It's hard enough for MIT- or Stanford-educated front office types to communicate analytical information to a kid who spent three years at Florida State and grew up speaking English.  The coaches need to be fluent in double translation. 

It's probably a little like plugging a paragraph into Google translate, turning it into Norwegian, and then into Urdu.  Occasionally the result might make sense.

More likely they stopped their education when they were 12.  But we aren't talking anything too complicated here.   I am sure with a translator things could be clearly explained.  

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That triggered a thought... are there disadvantages to being a player from somewhere like the Dominican Republic who not only is a native Spanish speaker but also stopped their education at the age of 15 or 16?  It's hard enough for MIT- or Stanford-educated front office types to communicate analytical information to a kid who spent three years at Florida State and grew up speaking English.  The coaches need to be fluent in double translation. 

It's probably a little like plugging a paragraph into Google translate, turning it into Norwegian, and then into Urdu.  Occasionally the result might make sense.

I don't think spin rate, shifts, exit velocity and launch angle are crazy concepts to teach. Analytics has math behind it, but ultimately translates pretty well to the same game these guys grew up playing. Communication might be hard, but I can't imagine it's significantly harder than it was before the focus on modern big data. It's not like the 16 year olds are actually developing the analyses. They're still playing ball.

6 hours ago, interloper said:

Man On Internet: "Stephen Hawking Bad and Dumb, Actually"

Except I never said anything about his intelligence.  I said his lectures really didnt contain much information.  I would prefer more substance over make it easier for everyone to understand. 

On 9/27/2019 at 6:29 AM, mdbdotcom said:

Today's coaches need to add to their duties serving as interpreters for the analytics department so information is communicated to players in ways the players understand and that make the information actionable.

This sounds like verbatim Elias!

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, jsbearr said:

My experience is that if you have trouble explaining things to someone with an equivalent 6th grade competency that you will not be doing much analysis work. So many folks want these positions that you often can insist on basic communication competency. It is fairly common for an advanced analytics group to send their analysts out to their minor league programs. The minor leaguers need to be more involved and analysts cut their teeth better at the level, it seems. Everything is flattening and moving away from a heavily controlled silo design. I imagine many teams still worry, but that is where things have moved.

There is a difference between a 6th grade education and competency.  Just because some of these kids may have stopped school, or modified their school efforts doesnt mean they are a bunch of imbeciles running around on the field.  

I dont think spin rate or launch angle is that hard of a concept to teach someone.  They really dont have to understand the analytics if you just show someone the results they will buy in.

On September 27, 2019 at 10:44 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

There is an education maxim that any subject, no matter how complicated, can be taught in an intellectually honest way to anyone on any level. Hawking did that well. Sagan did, too, God rest his soul. De Grasse comes across as condescending and arrogant, and is much less successful. 

I don't know how how much emphasis is placed on teaching young foreign players English or in continuing their education, but I hope provisions are made to continue their growth in non-baseball areas.

Hays said a couple interesting things on this subject in an in-game interview this afternoon.

They asked him what he thought of analytics and how he incorporated it into his game. He said the pitchers are ahead of the hitters at this point in the O's system, in terms of using data. He alluded to how "we didn't have much of it" before this year. He referenced that they were gathering data on the minor league hitters' bat paths, and said he enjoyed learning about it as "another resource."