Chris Davis salary dump matches

Just Regular

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, baseball was much more competitive when the Yankees, Giants and Dodgers were all in NY.

Oh wait, it wasn’t.   

And I’ve noticed how the NFL and NBA have put 3 teams in the NY area.    Not.   

I disagree.  I think it is a bad idea to limit where a team can move. 

10 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

I disagree.  I think it is a bad idea to limit where a team can move. 

Whether it's a sub shop or ML baseball team, every franchisee has a defined and protected marketing area. Otherwise, there would be chaos and the franchises would have no value.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

Starbucks stores are not franchised. All  stores are company owned. They do license stores to operators, but that's a completely different scenario. Must be a busy parking lot. 

Not exceptionally.  One is in a big box retailer and the other is a stand alone.  In fact they moved the stand alone to a different location closer to the retailer about three years ago.  You could walk from one to another (say they were out of Pumpkin Spice) in under three minutes.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not exceptionally.  One is in a big box retailer and the other is a stand alone.  In fact they moved the stand alone to a different location closer to the retailer about three years ago.  You could walk from one to another (say they were out of Pumpkin Spice) in under three minutes.

Some people don't shop in Target, and the standalone is open an hour later.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Big box store locations are franchised.  Stand alone locations are company owned.  

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, baseball was much more competitive when the Yankees, Giants and Dodgers were all in NY.

Oh wait, it wasn’t.   

Territiorial rights and market splitting aren't that big of a deal when most revenues are shared and everyone has a payroll cap.  The Knicks can have half the basketball fans in the world, but only 20,000 of them can come to the stadium, 29/30th of the media revenues still go somewhere else, and they can't spend $300M on payroll.

The other thing to take into account in that prior to 1969 there were no playoffs.  The Yanks are just as competitive today as they were in the pre-free agency era (i.e. they win the division/league more times than not) but back then they went straight to the World Series where they had a ~60% chance of winning.  Today they win the division by 14 games and they have roughly a (.6*.6*.6) = 22% chance of winning it all.

So the 1920-1950s Yanks drew more fans than anyone else, there were no shared revenues, they could spend as much as they wanted on amateur talent, could have as many minor league affiliates as they wanted, owned the rights to their players in perpetuity, and if they won the league by one game they went straight to the Series.  When Mickey Mantle got to six years of service time nobody noticed, because they just renewed his contract for one year for whatever money the team wanted.  Everything except MLB free agency and the fact the Giants and Dodgers were in NYC was set up for a team to dominate.

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

The draft is an equalizer.    Free agency, not.  

In 1957 you never ever ever had to worry about what to do with the last four years of ARod or Chris Davis or Albert Pujols.  The minute they slipped you just released them at no cost.  If Chris Davis happened in 1948 he would have been released from his one-year, $28k salary three years ago.

Big market teams are the primary signers of 7/180 deals.  They rarely hurt the Brewers or the Pirates.

On 10/24/2019 at 4:46 AM, Frobby said:

Oh wait, it wasn’t.   

I didn't say anything about competitive balance.  Its just the most logical place to put a team, outside of maybe LA.

And baseball has changed quite a bit since 1957.