2019 World Series (ASTROS vs. NATIONALS)

OFFNY

41 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

IF the Nats win it, a strong case could be made for Strasburg as MVP or co-MVP with Scherzer.  On the Astros side either Springer or pick your umpire.   The call on Turner was another blown one by the umps.

This guy saved the game for the NATs:

This is the inside story of how the Washington Nationals saved their season from ending for a fourth time. It begins not with Anthony Rendon or Juan Soto, but Jonathan Tosches. He is the Nationals’ 37-year-old coordinator of advance scouting with a masters degree in sport management from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where he was a dead-eye three-point shooter in intramural hoops. He supervises the Nationals’ video review replay system during games.

The Nationals’ fourth season-saving win began with these four words from Tosches to pitching coach Paul Menhart:

“He’s doing it again.”

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/10/30/stephen-strasburg-nationals-saved-season-world-series-game-6

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

IF the Nats win it, a strong case could be made for Strasburg as MVP or co-MVP with Scherzer.  On the Astros side either Springer or pick your umpire.   The call on Turner was another blown one by the umps.

Why was the call wrong? 

24 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think you guys are the only ones watching this series. Sunday night football had 6 million  more viewers than game 5 of the World Series.   Even 60 minutes out drew the game by 2 million viewers. 

I am a football fan and love watching the NFL.  But I loved it a lot more 20 years ago before this absolutely endless Patriots dynasty started.  It feels like they are the only team that ever has a chance to win the title.  So it is hard to get excited about a season where you pretty much know exactly how it will end.  Father time is undefeated....except against Tom Brady.  At least we don't know who is going to win Game 7 of the World Series.  Although my vote is for Washington.  Elimination games are clearly not a big deal for them, they have the best player on the field, and I think there is just a lot more pressure on Houston. 

12 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I am a football fan and love watching the NFL.  But I loved it a lot more 20 years ago before this absolutely endless Patriots dynasty started.  It feels like they are the only team that ever has a chance to win the title.  So it is hard to get excited about a season where you pretty much know exactly how it will end.  Father time is undefeated....except against Tom Brady.  At least we don't know who is going to win Game 7 of the World Series.  Although my vote is for Washington.  Elimination games are clearly not a big deal for them, they have the best player on the field, and I think there is just a lot more pressure on Houston. 

Baseball is a fickle sport.

Ole "Mo" changes back and forth sometimes, and at this point, I think its a even toss up, about who has the advantage to win or lose.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Why was the call wrong? 

Then, finally, MLB’s chief baseball officer, Joe Torre, headed for the podium to try to explain the unexplainable — by which we mean the controversial seventh-inning interference call on Washington’s Trea Turner, for thunking a swinging bunt and then allegedly interfering with first baseman Yuli Gurriel’s ability to catch a throw to first (which Turner probably would have beaten anyway).

Torre said the fact that “Gurriel’s glove even came off” when he and Turner made contact near the bag was a major factor in the call — because Gurriel “wasn’t doing anything but trying to catch the ball.”

• And when asked where Turner was supposed to go, considering there was a base out there he had to touch, Torre said: “If you notice, he was running inside the line toward fair territory, toward the grass. And he was coming from that angle. If he had been running in the (runner’s lane), he’d have been coming from a different angle, and the first baseman may have had an easier chance catching the ball.”

And then those replay umps called Torre, who was in the ballpark, sitting right behind the dugout. … And then Torre “tried to make some calls” from his box, he said, but “we couldn’t do it” for reasons nobody was really clear on.

So eventually, Torre denied the protest himself — and the game resumed. 

To avoid Gurriel, where was he supposed to run?
USATSI_13590346.jpg

14 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

To avoid Gurriel, where was he supposed to run?
USATSI_13590346.jpg

Once again what is the running lane there for? Decoration? 

It was a bad luck play. That play probably only happens to each team a couple of times a year. He ran inside the line. He was never in the lane and it was unfortunate for the Nats but it is the rule.  

I cannot imagine how much worse this whole thing would have been if the Nats had lost.  The fact that they won the game means we should be able to put this to bed and focus on the real story, which is Game 7.  I am very anxious to see who steps up and delivers in the clutch.  And, can the road team actually win every game of the series?  Would be remarkable.  Home field advantage is supposed to matter....having it not matter for a single game in a seven game series is a hell of a story.

16 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I cannot imagine how much worse this whole thing would have been if the Nats had lost.  The fact that they won the game means we should be able to put this to bed and focus on the real story, which is Game 7.  I am very anxious to see who steps up and delivers in the clutch.  And, can the road team actually win every game of the series?  Would be remarkable.  Home field advantage is supposed to matter....having it not matter for a single game in a seven game series is a hell of a story.

Agreed.  Tired of hearing about this call and thankful it didn't impact the score of the game.

Thrilled for the Nats.  Can't honestly call myself a Nats fan but I do pay attention...enough to maybe get a WS champs tshirt if they pull this off tonight.

Take note, Peter.  This could have been you.

59 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Once again what is the running lane there for? Decoration? 

It was a bad luck play. That play probably only happens to each team a couple of times a year. He ran inside the line. He was never in the lane and it was unfortunate for the Nats but it is the rule.  

It's 3' lane that's on both sides of the bag.  By the letter of the rule, he was out, but that's not why they made the call.  They called it because of the glove at the very end of the play.   To  make it in an elimination game of the World Series is MLB putting their thumb on the scale in a Series with several bad calls behind the plate..  Rendon took care of business   Fix the rule.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

It's 3' lane that's on both sides of the bag.  By the letter of the rule, he was out, but that's not why they made the call.  They called it because of the glove at the very end of the play.   To  make it in an elimination game of the World Series is MLB putting their thumb on the scale in a Series with several bad calls behind the plate..  Rendon took care of business   Fix the rule.  

Wrong, the runners lane is on the foul side of the bag. There is no inside running lane that protects the runner from an interference call. 

You can’t ask the umpire to not make the correct call because of the setting. Of course the contact with the glove was why the call was made. He knocked his glove off. 

• Upvote 2