MLBTR: Orioles Outlook

weams

Worst case for a Villar trade is that we have to do a pseudo salary swap like this,

OAK gets: Villar $10 million

BAL gets: Profar $5.8 million + 2 prospects. 

There’s lots of negatives. That’s why it’s a worst case scenario. The best case scenario with Profar would be that we stick Profar at 3rd everyday and flip him at the deadline, and only pay him his pre trade salary.  Profar’s power would play up at OPACY. Again, lots of negatives in this situation, and you could argue it’d be better just to non tender Villar and get nothing. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Worst case for a Villar trade is that we have to do a pseudo salary swap like this,

OAK gets: Villar $10 million

BAL gets: Profar $5.8 million + 2 prospects. 

There’s lots of negatives. That’s why it’s a worst case scenario. The best case scenario with Profar would be that we stick Profar at 3rd everyday and flip him at the deadline, and only pay him his pre trade salary.  Profar’s power would play up at OPACY. Again, lots of negatives in this situation, and you could argue it’d be better just to non tender Villar and get nothing. 

I don’t think there’s as many negatives as you describe - depending on the value of the prospects.

The O’s would be paying $6M to get two prospects and at least adequate production from a utility player who is still young and was once the top prospect in baseball. That’s pretty good value. 

But, I don’t see it happening only because the Athletics could just non-tender Profar themselves if they do no want to keep him. They don’t need a trade partner to rid themselves of his salary.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

We don't know what the payroll numbers are for 2020.

This is what I don't get...fans almost taking the side of ownership on payroll. We are talking about maybe a $10 million player. That's not such a huge salary hit that it justifies removing 4 WAR from a team that lost 108 games this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, crawjo said:

This is what I don't get...fans almost taking the side of ownership on payroll. We are talking about maybe a $10 million player. That's not such a huge salary hit that it justifies removing 4 WAR from a team that lost 108 games this year. 

I'm just prepared for ownership to be profited oriented. 

1 hour ago, crawjo said:

There is no reason, other than saving money, to jettison Villar with no compensation or return.  I would be unhappy with that move.

3 hours ago, crawjo said:

You think he is a 4 WAR player in 2020?  Some though Joe Flacco was elite.

• Haha 1

Just now, weams said:

You think he is a 4 WAR player in 2020?  Some though Joe Flacco was elite.

Put me down for 2 - 2.5.    Which is still worthy of a $10 mm salary in many circumstances, but not necessarily for a last place team.  I’d be looking to trade him, and believe he’s got some useful trade value.   

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Put me down for 2 - 2.5.    Which is still worthy of a $10 mm salary in many circumstances, but not necessarily for a last place team.  I’d be looking to trade him, and believe he’s got some useful trade value.   

It will be close. Especially with other options out there. 

6 hours ago, crawjo said:

Can’t agree with this enough. Not sure why so many are eager to slash payroll to nothing. It’s a multi-million-dollar company owned by very, very wealthy people.

Their analytics/development/etc investments don’t cost THAT much. If someone is rooting for an entertainment-based company that they have no ownership in to make a profit, while it is providing incredibly poor entertainment to its other customers - that just makes them a fool.