Should Rendon be offered more than 7/210 by the rebuilding Baltimore Orioles

pstroms333

14 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I think I heard that he's looking for a shorter term deal than the one the Nats offered, in part because he doesn't want to be earning a huge salary that his production doesn't justify near the end of his contract. When he can't produce anymore, he'll walk away from the game content. As Oriole fans, there's no way we can't respect the hell out of that. 

I really wonder how much truth there is to that, given how his agent is Scott Boras.

I'm old school in that I want players that came up with an organization to stay with that organization so I'd rather see Rendon sign with the Nats longterm. On top of it, the Orioles are not ready for this kind of signing and even when they are, I doubt they will so this with a position player.

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm old school in that I want players that came up with an organization to stay with that organization so I'd rather see Rendon sign with the Nats longterm. On top of it, the Orioles are not ready for this kind of signing and even when they are, I doubt they will so this with a position player.

I totally agree, old school for sure that I am.

But, I truly think we have seen the last of a player coming up and staying in the org, it just doesn't happen like it used to.

They say the game is better for it, not sure, I totally agree with that logic.

I know my Grandfather was wrong, when he said the Flood FA thing would ruin baseball.

But, these insane salaries, and insane money the clubs are making, is that "good" for the game?

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That would be my guess for the earliest we see a big free agent signing--and only if we are competitive at that point.

I think 2023's too pessimistic.  Barring injury Rutschman will debut in 2021.  Pitchers barring injury is a longer shot but with health I think Hall and Rodriguez can make 2021 debuts as well.

If your #1 picks from three straight years are on your MLB club at the minimum and they're any good, you've entered your window.  I haven't abandoned 2022 hope yet.  The next big swing I see for 2022 enthusiasm is will the 2020 #2 overall pick be someone who might have the profile to make it to that team.  If it is Emerson Hancock (or whatever NCAA sophomore ace is having the best offseason at IMG Academy, Driveline, etc), then you might put four #1 picks on the field that June, blended with whatever else 3 years of Elias/Sig player development practices yields from the other talent at hand.

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

No way we are doing any deal like this until Davis is paid off. I think weams' target number for payroll was something like $45M.

We could give Rendon $1 million a year for the next 10 years and then pay him $300 million in deferred payments of $5 million a year until he is 96 years old.

Come on, be creative.

4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I totally agree, old school for sure that I am.

But, I truly think we have seen the last of a player coming up and staying in the org, it just doesn't happen like it used to.

They say the game is better for it, not sure, I totally agree with that logic.

I know my Grandfather was wrong, when he said the Flood FA thing would ruin baseball.

But, these insane salaries, and insane money the clubs are making, is that "good" for the game?

It's good that the players get a small share of the proceeds. I would prefer if the floor were raised a bit. and maybe a limit on years of a contract as a trade off. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did they?

This time last year they had a big offer on the books for Harper, only to find out later it was full of deferred payments and the actual value was lower.

Deferred money seems to be standard operating procedure for the Nationals. Corbin and Strasburg's contracts are incredibly backloaded with deferred money. Scherzer's contact is backloaded.

It seems like a good way to land star players while paying less than "expected."