Diffusing Red Sox Fans/Cheers at OPACY

crowmst3k!

If it was a contest then they'd have to go to any and all possible lengths to ensure that it was done fairly, and a Boston fan could effectively sue the O's if he felt that he was the rightful winner and the thing was fixed (especially with the amount of money involved).

...and I might add that if this scenario were to really happen, it would be a much bigger PR nightmare for the O's than it would have been had they just awarded the Boston fan the thing to begin with. You're talking about lawsuits, courts, and more "Baltimore sucks Boston rules" crap all out in the national media. ESPN would probably paint it as the Orioles indirectly admitting that their stadium is a second home for Boston. Luckily that won't be an issue since based on how they worded the "promotion" the thing can be fixed.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can't outnumber them, outthink them.

How to annoy Red Sox fans:

1. Ask them who has won the most WS Titles (Baltimore or Boston) since Babe Ruth left Boston.

2. Tell them Joe Dimaggio really deserved that MVP over Ted Williams in 1941.

3. Ask them why it took them so long to learn how to run their team like the Yankees.

4. Tell them you think Bill Buckner should be in the Mets Hall of Fame.

5. Tell them you're related to Bucky Dent.

1. Ask them who has won the most WS Titles (Baltimore or Boston) since Babe Ruth left Boston.

3. Ask them why it took them so long to learn how to run their team like the Yankees.

You're assuming these Red Sox "fans" would actually even understand these jokes...?

The best way to annoy them is to tell them to get back in their cars and head back to Northern Virginia.

You're assuming these Red Sox "fans" would actually even understand these jokes...?

The best way to annoy them is to tell them to get back in their cars and head back to Northern Virginia.

In that case they are just bandwagon idiots and deserve to be totally ignored.

I just tell them to go back to the Bronx. I can't tell the difference between the Sox and Yanks anymore. They hate that.

Why not start a Buckner chant?..."Buuuckner, Buuuckner, Buuuckner!" Either that or we could just start pissing on them.

This will be my third game this year vs. the Red Sox. First was the awesome game where JJ got Manny to ground into the double play after a million fouls, second was when Manny hit his 500th HR.

The truth is I'm usually pretty miserable at games vs. the Red Sox, unless the Red Sox are getting pounded, which isn't very often. I don't blame any Orioles fans for not going to the game. Bottom line is being a baseball fan, an Orioles fan, or having any sort of past time at all, is because it's enjoyable. And if it's not enjoyable, if it makes you miserable? Why go?

It seems like every time the Red Sox or Yankees are in town people get all fired up about it how it's scandalous that season ticket holders sell their tickets or that O's fans don't come out and show their support. I get the sentiment (especially from out of town fans who don't have to actually go through it), but if it makes you unhappy, why go?

For me it's like gambling. The odds aren't in my favor, but if the O's do end up winning, it's like I've hit the jackpot. I can see why that doesn't appeal to other fans, though.

As far as all of these ways to shut up the Red Sox fans, there is only one way to shut them up. And that's to beat them.

This is what makes the Redskins so attractive if you ask me - they are awful, however if another team's fan even decides to say as much as Go Whoever! They will be punched in the face - not that I condone fighting, but Id choose that over what happends at OPACY when the sox are in town. Baltimore has always been a bandwagon town...But I still love the O's.

Bull... I've been to Ravens VS Redskins in FedEx at least 3 times now and nobody's ever tried to start anything with me for being a Ravens fan. Some may say that's because I'm 6'4", 250 lbs, but I think it's because I'm respectful and don't act like a jackass as a visiting fan.

You're right though about Skins fans. They do stick by the team through everything, even with a horrible owner who's ruined the franchise and priced most middle class fans out of the stadium.

Why not start a Buckner chant?..."Buuuckner, Buuuckner, Buuuckner!" Either that or we could just start pissing on them.

But didn't you get the memo? They forgave Buckner, he threw out the first pitch on OD this year and everything.

I still think he shoulda went out there, spiked the ball, flipped the crowd off, and then held a presser telling them that they can't just take back the 20 years of torment and suffering they subjected him and his family to simply because they won a few championships, and go back in to hiding.

This will be my third game this year vs. the Red Sox. First was the awesome game where JJ got Manny to ground into the double play after a million fouls, second was when Manny hit his 500th HR.

The truth is I'm usually pretty miserable at games vs. the Red Sox, unless the Red Sox are getting pounded, which isn't very often. I don't blame any Orioles fans for not going to the game. Bottom line is being a baseball fan, an Orioles fan, or having any sort of past time at all, is because it's enjoyable. And if it's not enjoyable, if it makes you miserable? Why go?

It seems like every time the Red Sox or Yankees are in town people get all fired up about it how it's scandalous that season ticket holders sell their tickets or that O's fans don't come out and show their support. I get the sentiment (especially from out of town fans who don't have to actually go through it), but if it makes you unhappy, why go?

For me it's like gambling. The odds aren't in my favor, but if the O's do end up winning, it's like I've hit the jackpot. I can see why that doesn't appeal to other fans, though.

As far as all of these ways to shut up the Red Sox fans, there is only one way to shut them up. And that's to beat them.

I understand your point about people selling their tickets. But I think you hit on my sentiments exactly...it's SCANDALOUS. It used to be that all of the empty seats in the stadium were bought by Boston/NY fans. Then it got to the point that the crowds were 50-50, and the visitors got to be extremely obnoxious. (And by that I don't necessarily mean the Yankee fans, because I don't see so many issues when they come to town; it's Boston who's fans really bother me.) So as you said, people stopped going to those games because they didn't want an unpleasurable experience. But since the Sox won the WS in 2004 and the demand has gone way up, people have been selling their seats for these games to turn a profit, which is why now we have a situation where there are more Boston fans than Oriole fans. And as I said, Oriole fans are thinking twice about coming to OUR OWN STADIUM and getting harrassed and taunted by Red Sox fans. On one hand I can't fault people for wanting to turn a profit and make money, because that's what America's about. But on the other hand...Camden Yards is our home stadium right? I highly doubt that the people that originally had a hand in the stadium (Gov. Schaffer among others) built it for the pleasure of out-of-town fans.

I commend you for attending all of those games against the Sox. I went to two last season, but none this year since there was only one weekend series, and I couldn't get tickets. (I have been to one Yankee game, and I'm going again on Saturday.) I would recommend that any STH that can't go to those games or otherwise don't choose to go should consider donating their tickets to some sort of children's charity. I'm sure that there are plenty of underpriviledged children that wouldn't otherwise be able to attend an Oriole game that would love to go. You won't turn a profit, but you'll get a tax write-off, and those are two or four seats that won't go to Boston fans. Plus you'll be doing something good for the community. So it would be a double bonus in that regard.

Bull... I've been to Ravens VS Redskins in FedEx at least 3 times now and nobody's ever tried to start anything with me for being a Ravens fan. Some may say that's because I'm 6'4", 250 lbs, but I think it's because I'm respectful and don't act like a jackass as a visiting fan.

You're right though about Skins fans. They do stick by the team through everything, even with a horrible owner who's ruined the franchise and priced most middle class fans out of the stadium.

I agree...Skins fans don't start anything with anyone, and neither do Ravens fans for that matter. Look at it this way...we have four "fanbases" interwoven together in this region (Skins, O's, Nats, and Ravens). One way or the other, we're all a lot of the same people in these stadiums! I might harrass visiting fans a bit at FedEx, but if they can't handle that they shouldn't be going to a road game. I would never start a fight with someone, but if somebody decides to hit me or something like that, I won't back down either. While I'm a bit overweight, I'm only 5 ft 8, so odds are I'd get the floor wiped with my rear end, but I don't back down if someone hits me. Good natured heckling is part of sports, but fighting isn't.

Agreed, Trust me I want nothing more than a good football team to pull for....what does this say about the orioles being competetive, that we are on an O's boards talking about the skins?!?!?!? Anywas, I think O's/Skins fans are lucky to have Trembley and Zorn - I see a lot of similarities!! First time to be excited about something in a while!!!!

A little poll - What will attendance be like in BMore when the skins are in town?

50-50

60-40 Ravens

60-40skins???

Strongly Ravens. At least 80-20 Ravens if not 90-10. Ravens fans don't sell out their team.

But didn't you get the memo? They forgave Buckner, he threw out the first pitch on OD this year and everything.

I still think he shoulda went out there, spiked the ball, flipped the crowd off, and then held a presser telling them that they can't just take back the 20 years of torment and suffering they subjected him and his family to simply because they won a few championships, and go back in to hiding.

I feel badly for Bill Buckner to be honest. And while I don't have his lifetime stats in front of me, aside from the one mistake in the 1986 series he was actually a solid first baseman. Not HOF caliber or anything, but a solid player. I remember hearing that he threw out the first pitch, and I found it a bit ironic. That would be like Angelos inviting Jeffrey Maier to toss out our Opening Day first pitch. (Something I would't put past him if he could find a way to make money off of it...)

Strongly Ravens. At least 80-20 Ravens if not 90-10. Ravens fans don't sell out their team.

I've seen a lot of tickets on sale for that game on stub hub. There's a conspiracy theory on extremeskins.com that teams actually hold back a portion of their seats in order to sell at a higher premium on stub hub. So you think you're buying them from a STH that bought them at face from the team, you're actually buying them from the team and they're marking the price up even more. One way or the other, there are seats available for that game. I'm not paying $100 for a ticket, but I do have a cousin that's a STH and he rarely goes to the games. I'm sure he'll be happy to sell me his seats at face.

I feel badly for Bill Buckner to be honest. And while I don't have his lifetime stats in front of me, aside from the one mistake in the 1986 series he was actually a solid first baseman. Not HOF caliber or anything, but a solid player. I remember hearing that he threw out the first pitch, and I found it a bit ironic. That would be like Angelos inviting Jeffrey Maier to toss out our Opening Day first pitch. (Something I would't put past him if he could find a way to make money off of it...)

He definitely got way too much grief, especially considering his career and the circumstances of that infamous play. But for "RSN" to just mea culpa and act like they didn't put him through hell...I just think way more concessions should have been made than just "oh, we forgive you now, Billy B, because we've won!" It's BS and I'm surprised he went along with it. I know my scenario never would happen but a polite thanks but no thanks should have been his response.

Archived