6 man rotation?

wildcard

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Bundy and Cobb?  Bundy who pitches worse over his career on longer rest, and Cobb who is part android now?

I think people forget these guys are human, and not all are able to complete the same.

1. As pointed out, some do worse on more rest, and yet others can do better with more rest.

2. Just like some can warm up quickly, which is a requirement for a reliever, and some just cant get ready that quickly.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm totally astonished that an old ballplayer can't believe how soft today's guys are.  

I could trace back through the last 140 years of baseball with quotes like that, and then come to the conclusion that in 1860 every pitcher was 11 feet tall, and could throw max effort for 772 innings a year to no ill effect.

My favorite quote, and I dont remember who.

But, a left handed batter, hated to face Randy Johnson. He said he felt like Randy was reaching out to scratch his nose from 60 feet away.

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Well, if you ask the MASN ex pitcher from that ERA, sorry, name alludes me. He claims the biggest problem with pitchers, is that the teams sit them down or DL them for the slightest handnail or itty bitty bo bo.

I am not saying he is right, but I do wonder, if sometimes, the pitcher just needs to work through their "dead" arm and it bounces back. But, with the amount of money on the line, and 18 month window for TJ recovery, you also need to be smart about it too.

I think in the name of science the Yankees and Red Sox should respond to all reports of shooting pain in their pitcher's elbows with "suck it up crybaby, we're throwing you on two days rest and letting you go 165 pitches this week."

6 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

No. Pitchers these days are just gonna have to learn to pitch on 4 days rest or suffer significant pay cut. Plus it won’t work for postseason. 

So if there was evidence that your team could cut a third of a run a game off by switching to a six-man rotation you'd say no because... because?

And aren't some teams already moving to openers for the playoffs?  Seems kind of inevitable that most teams will just have their best pitchers throw to 10 batters every few days in the postseason.

On 11/4/2019 at 12:54 PM, Redskins Rick said:

Well, if you ask the MASN ex pitcher from that ERA, sorry, name alludes me. He claims the biggest problem with pitchers, is that the teams sit them down or DL them for the slightest handnail or itty bitty bo bo.

Funny, because that pitcher had something of a reputation as a hypochondriac.   From a fun 1985 profile in the Washington Post:

Palmer, it was said, wouldn't pitch with pain. It was simple. If he couldn't pitch 100 percent, he didn't put the glove on.

He once left a game after 5 1/2 innings because of a hangnail. In the spring of 1983 he nearly missed a start, claiming a stiff neck from sleeping on a foam rubber, rather than feather, pillow in his Oakland hotel room.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1985/06/18/jim-palmers-new-pitch/78119177-88ce-4289-80be-9717af54468a/

It’s a fun piece to read, by the way.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Ross Grimsley

Geeze, my mind is losing it. :)

Is Grimsley on MASN?   I thought he was just on local Baltimore radio.   Sorry for the mistaken assumption that you were talking about Palmer.

A couple of my friends ran into Grimsley in a bar many years ago, and said he was really friendly and told some good stories about his playing days.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Is Grimsley on MASN?   I thought he was just on local Baltimore radio.   Sorry for the mistaken assumption that you were talking about Palmer.

A couple of my friends ran into Grimsley in a bar many years ago, and said he was really friendly and told some good stories about his playing days.   

No worries,

It was a while back, when I heard the comments. Not as a main guy, but he did get face time a little bit and was always very opinionated.

On 11/4/2019 at 12:57 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm totally astonished that an old ballplayer can't believe how soft today's guys are.  

I could trace back through the last 140 years of baseball with quotes like that, and then come to the conclusion that in 1860 every pitcher was 11 feet tall, and could throw max effort for 772 innings a year to no ill effect.

This is so unfair Drungo.  If you step back and take into account that 140 years ago, ballplayers had to walk 6 miles each way to get to school...uphill, both ways, and in the snow, carrying a backpack full of books, you would easily understand how they could throw max effort for nearly 800 innings.  Ill effect?  There is no video and it is not noted because it was common, but during this time, pitchers simply threw till they were tired and then threw with the other hand.  It is somewhat hyperbolic to suggest that they were 11 feet tall however.  I don't know why folks post things like that..... ;) 

• Haha 1