Trade Bait 2020

ScGO's

On 11/23/2019 at 10:23 AM, ScGO's said:

Severino has 5 years of control left.  He's cheap and did all the solid things you listed above.  Could be an ideal back up for Rutch one day.  It will be interesting to see what type of season he has this year.

I think ideally you probably don't watch Adley catching every single day. Severino has a lot of value on this team if the O's plan to let Adley DH or 1B once or twice a week.

5 minutes ago, theocean said:

I think ideally you probably don't watch Adley catching every single day. Severino has a lot of value on this team if the O's plan to let Adley DH or 1B once or twice a week.

I'm not sold Severino would be an upgrade over whomever else they stick back there when AR doesn't catch.  He had a nice first half but in the second half his OPS+ dropped to around his career average (71)

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sold Severino would be an upgrade over whomever else they stick back there when AR doesn't catch.  He had a nice first half but in the second half his OPS+ dropped to around his career average (71)

That's true. He's one of the players I'm excited to watch next year to see if he can return to that first half success.

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I saw that he and Sisco graded in the bottom five in pitch framing in baseball. Just going to go out on a limb here and say that’s because of our terrible pitching. 

The only reason I’ve brought Severino up is because the status of the Catching market. It’s real thin, and they are the first FA to sign this offseason. 

Also, I’m not gonna lie, I’m in the camp of we should trade everything we can for 2022+. So that’s why I’m a bit more active in the trade threads. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I saw that he and Sisco graded in the bottom five in pitch framing in baseball. Just going to go out on a limb here and say that’s because of our terrible pitching. 

The only reason I’ve brought Severino up is because the status of the Catching market. It’s real thin, and they are the first FA to sign this offseason. 

Also, I’m not gonna lie, I’m in the camp of we should trade everything we can for 2022+. So that’s why I’m a bit more active in the trade threads. 

Framing.  Some teams (read:  Orioles) just don't get the calls on the edges.  Easier to blame the catchers than the umps, I guess.  Sometimes innocent men get "framed."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, theocean said:

He's 26...if someone offers us a younger prospect (that we like) for our potential future back up catcher I think we should jump on it. 

Quick question and some thoughts.  Can Villar still be traded at this point?  If he is claimed could the O's pull him off waivers?

At this point, I feel like Bundy and Givens will be gone before the season starts.

With Villar being waived, if Bundy and Givens go, I would think Elias would pull the trigger on Mancini as well if he is made a solid offer.

I don't see a market for Alberto yet.  Some think Severino could be made available as the catcher market is hot, but I'm not sure if he would get much of a return.  I don't think there will be any other asset discussed between now and the start of the season.

5 hours ago, ScGO's said:

1) Quick question and some thoughts.  Can Villar still be traded at this point?  If he is claimed could the O's pull him off waivers?

2) At this point, I feel like Bundy and Givens will be gone before the season starts.

3) With Villar being waived, if Bundy and Givens go, I would think Elias would pull the trigger on Mancini as well if he is made a solid offer.

4)I don't see a market for Alberto yet.  Some think Severino could be made available as the catcher market is hot, but I'm not sure if he would get much of a return.  I don't think there will be any other asset discussed between now and the start of the season.

1) there appears to be quite a bit of confusion and nobody seems to know.

2) Hopefully

3) Mancini is just two years younger than Villar, he start the arb process in 2020 and can be a free agent in 2022. So one would think he would be on the list to go sooner of later. He's just not expensive yet so you still have time, But I think the extra years of control make him more valuable. Many here thinks he has little or no value based on being a 1B and or poor outfielder

4) Alberto will need to repeat or get close to last year to build value IMO. If they can get something for Severino they should.

6 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Quick question and some thoughts.  Can Villar still be traded at this point?  If he is claimed could the O's pull him off waivers?

55 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

1) there appears to be quite a bit of confusion and nobody seems to know.

My understanding is he can still be traded, and the whole point of putting him on waivers was to force teams to make trade offers before the non-tender deadline.   This makes sense to me, because they didn’t need to put him on waivers in order to non-tender him, so why do it unless there’s some advantage to doing so?

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My understanding is he can still be traded, and the whole point of putting him on waivers was to force teams to make trade offers before the non-tender deadline.   This makes sense to me, because they didn’t need to put him on waivers in order to non-tender him, so why do it unless there’s some advantage to doing so?

So have the O's requested waivers?

Is he "on waivers"

Has he been on "outright waivers"? And would that mean conditional waivers or irrevocable waivers?

Is he on the 40 man now or no?

Just now, 7Mo said:

So have the O's requested waivers?

Is he "on waivers"

Has he been on "outright waivers"? And would that mean conditional waivers or irrevocable waivers?

Is he on the 40 man now or no?

I thought they got rid of revocable waivers.   That’s why there was no second trade deadline this year.    But, I could be wrong.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought they got rid of revocable waivers.   That’s why there was no second trade deadline this year.    But, I could be wrong.   

Tomorrow afternoon should give us some answers but the whole thing is very confusing given Luke's posts and questions.

3 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Tomorrow afternoon should give us some answers but the whole thing is very confusing given Luke's posts and questions.

I’m confused, my intial thoughts were the same as Frobby’s. But from reading the waiver rules, there is nothing about being able to trade someone once they are on outright waivers. 

28 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I’m confused, my intial thoughts were the same as Frobby’s. But from reading the waiver rules, there is nothing about being able to trade someone once they are on outright waivers. 

I’m going to chalk this up to some error in the reporting.    We’ll see what happens tomorrow.

• Upvote 1