Trade Bait 2020

ScGO's

11 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Are you a misogynist by trade, or do you just play one on an internet forum? 

I used the term girlfriend, but it wasn't meant to be gender specific. There isn't a single misogynistic bone in my body and I'm not really sure how you got them from my comment. It's not like I invented the term / concept of a "rebound". 

10 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Where did I say anything like that? A misogynist doesn't have to be a man.

I'm a dude...and I most certainly am not a misogynist. People (men AND women) who come out of long term / serious relationships often need a bridge to get to their next serious relationship. Most of the time it's completely subconscious (i.e., you don't go into the new relationship thinking it long term thing, but that's often how it plays out). That's the analogy I was trying to make. We all might love Tre Mancini, but he's really just a bridge (hopefully) to the younger players who are more likely to be a part of the team's long term future. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I used the term girlfriend, but it wasn't meant to be gender specific. There isn't a single misogynistic bone in my body and I'm not really sure how you got them from my comment. It's not like I invented the term / concept of a "rebound". 

I just read what you wrote and found it highly objectifying of women. If I had a daughter and anyone spoke of her with language like that I would demand an apology, at the very least. I used to be able to just sit by, quietly, when people wrote or said things like that, but I can't do it anymore. It's disgusting.

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

I just read what you wrote and found it highly objectifying of women. If I had a daughter and anyone spoke of her with language like that I would demand an apology, at the very least. I used to be able to just sit by, quietly, when people wrote or said things like that, but I can't do it anymore. It's disgusting.

Fair enough. Well, I said that wasn't my intention and I'll be sure to choose my analogies more careful in the future. 

20 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

His OPS+ in 2017 was 120. I have to believe that one reason it went to 135 in 2019 was that fielders couldn't get to as many of the balls he hit because they left the park.

Are you saying that other players didn't hit more homeruns?  That it only affected Mancini and not the rest of the players?  Nonsense.

MLBTR

Baltimore Orioles [Offseason Outlook]

Outside of dealing away Dylan Bundy, it has been a quiet winter for sophomore GM Mike Elias. There just isn’t much pressing roster-building work to be done for a club that was badly in need of a full rebuild when Elias took the helm.

More than anything, the O’s will spend the next few weeks exploring further trade possibilities. Reliever Mychal Givens and slugger Trey Mancini are obvious candidates to be dealt. Hanser Alberto and a few others could also conceivably be of interest elsewhere.

Other than filling in for any further departures, the O’s still need to add a few pieces — both to keep some standard of MLB capabilities and to seek upside that might be turned into trade capital. The departure of Jonathan Villar leaves an opening at shortstop that hasn’t yet been filled. (Last year’s Rule 5 pick, Richie Martin, ought to get some dearly missed Triple-A seasoning.) The O’s could easily find space for a buy-low option at third base or the corner outfield as well. Adding Kohl Stewart and a pair of Rule 5 hurlers helps the pitching depth picture, but there’s still plenty of room to add arms onto the roster.

• Upvote 1

I looked through the league to see what contenders could use an upgrade at 1B and possibly want to trade for Mancini.  I really don't see anyone trading for Mancini as a RF, so I didn't consider the OF that much when looking at contenders.  I tried see who could realistically use Mancini as an upgrade.

1. Why not the Blue Jays? The seem to be quietly getting ready to go for it soon.  Rowdy Tellez is in line to be their 1B, and I think Mancini is better than him.  With all that young talent coming up and their recent FA pitching signings, it would be a good move for the Blue Jays as he has 3 years of control.

2. Nationals could use a long term answer at 1B. Would the O's trade with their arch nemesis?

3. The Rangers could absolutely use an upgrade at 1B, plus they are trying to have a good season in their first year in their new park.

4. The Rays would probably see Mancini as an upgrade over Choi.  Could probably spread some ABs through the DH position too. Good insurance if Renfroe and Tsutsugo don't play out well.

5. The Yankees could be really good this year if everyone can stay healthy.  The only place they are a bit iffy is 1B and DH.  Is Voit this good? Is Andujar able to return to 2018 form? The OF is always vulnerable to injury too with Stanton and Judge. Trading for Mancini would be the perfect insurance and an upgrade at 1B for them.

That seem to be it though.

Is there any reason for the Yankees to believe Mancini is much of an upgrade over Voit? 

Rays are always dumpster diving when it comes to finding 1B options. Sure, they would take Mancini off the O's hands. Only if they are not giving up much value.

Rangers or Blue Jays seem like the best fit ATM. Problem is neither of them are "all in". Blue Jays took a flier on Shaw.

Mancini could represent an upgrade for teams. It's marginalize by lower opportunity cost. Doesn't help that he has not put together back to back solid seasons. Might have better luck later in the year when injuries start happening.

Edited by Scalious