2019 #6 Prospect Yusniel Diaz - RF

Tony-OH

A healthy and productive Diaz would give this franchise a real shot in the arm.  IMO, it feels that he's not being considered a top prospect at the moment, he seems to be in that 2nd tier behind AR, Mountcastle, Rodriguez and Hall.  And that's fine, not every prospect can be in the first tier.  But if Diaz can surprise some people this summer and not only stick in Baltimore but excel...well, the future will be looking very bright.

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

A healthy and productive Diaz would give this franchise a real shot in the arm.  IMO, it feels that he's not being considered a top prospect at the moment, he seems to be in that 2nd tier behind AR, Mountcastle, Rodriguez and Hall.  And that's fine, not every prospect can be in the first tier.  But if Diaz can surprise some people this summer and not only stick in Baltimore but excel...well, the future will be looking very bright.

A healthy/big start for Diaz would really provide some optimism around here. 

Hopefully he can be a 15-25 HR, .775 OPS, type. 

Diaz is a ways off.  I doubt we see him in Baltimore in the first half.   Depending how he does at AAA and if he can stay healthy or not.   It could be much later in the year or next year before he is promoted.  He has to show he can fulfill his potential.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

DH.

Sure, I guess you could opt to cut/trade Nunez (or Mancini, I guess) before cutting Davis. That would be a really, really hard sell considering Nunez will probably be on his way another 30 homer season and Davis will be Davis. 

I wasn't counting on Diaz reaching the bigs this year, but I'm rooting for it because it really puts the pressure on the Davis situation moreso than Mountcastle alone. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

If both Diaz and Mountcastle reach the bigs this year, it presents a pretty interesting roster challenge for guys like Santander and the crunch on Davis becomes truly real for the first time. Gotta put Mancini somewhere.

I think Santander has a spot regardless. It probably means doom for Smith and Stewart, though.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think Santander has a spot regardless. It probably means doom for Smith and Stewart, though.

Santander for sure has a spot to start the year. If Diaz reaches the show it'll be late in the season, so a lot can happen between now and then. Smith is DFA candidate. I dunno what to do about Stewart to be honest. He really needs to play everyday in the bigs but it's going to be extremely hard with Hays, Santander, Mountcastle, Diaz, and Mancini gobbling up outfield spots. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

A healthy/big start for Diaz would really provide some optimism around here. 

Hopefully he can be a 15-25 HR, .775 OPS, type. 

Honestly, I'd take a league average bat and glove in a corner spot from Diaz. The offensive season you just called out would be very respectable. I'd even take something closer to a .750 OPS.

If we finish the year with Diaz RF, Hays CF, Mountcastle LF/1B/DH, Santander OF/DH, and Mancini 1B/DH, I will be pleased.  Infield is still a lot of TBD, but that OF/1B/DH group of players could be an exciting group to build a lineup around, especially when Rutschman gets to Baltimore.

48 minutes ago, interloper said:

He really needs to play everyday in the bigs but it's going to be extremely hard with Hays, Santander, Mountcastle, Diaz, and Mancini gobbling up outfield spots. 

24 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Santander and Hays are not locks to succeed or even stay healthy. I would not be surprised to see an extended look at Diaz at some point this year. 

One thing DJ Stewart has going for him is that he is left handed and we are RH heavy. 

I agree that Hays is an injury risk, but I don’t think that’s as big a risk with Santander. Each has a spot sewn up for now.

Being LH doesn’t compensate for being bad, especially when there’s so much competition for spots. Davis won’t go until the roster crunch becomes severe enough, but that time is coming apace.

Mancini/Mountcastle/Nunez at 1B/DH/COF Would be a bit awkward but doable.

That really doesn’t leave any room for Stewart. His SSS  last year was really unfortunate, but unless he has a stellar Spring, I bet he’s going to be back in Norfolk.