2019 #6 Prospect Yusniel Diaz - RF

Tony-OH

I know some of the buzz surrounding Diaz has died down a bit, but I'm still very excited for him. How great would it be if we ended up getting our OF / star of the future just like we did when we traded Bedard for A.Jones? Keeping my fingers crossed we see both him and Hays patrolling the OF together at some point this year. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I agree that Hays is an injury risk, but I don’t think that’s as big a risk with Santander. Each has a spot sewn up for now.

Being LH doesn’t compensate for being bad, especially when there’s so much competition for spots. Davis won’t go until the roster crunch becomes severe enough, but that time is coming apace.

Mancini/Mountcastle/Nunez at 1B/DH/COF Would be a bit awkward but doable.

That really doesn’t leave any room for Stewart. His SSS  last year was really unfortunate, but unless he has a stellar Spring, I bet he’s going to be back in Norfolk.

Is he going to have a spring at all?   Thought he was still recovering from his surgery.

Diaz is the 5th Voltron lion with Mancini, Mountcastle, Hays and Santander for the easy lineup positions (crossing fingers for CF Hays).  I do see a gap between them and the other candidates for those positions (sorry DJ/Cedric, sorry not sorry Dwight/Steve).

You can't make the Voltron sword until the lions join forces.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Is he going to have a spring at all?   Thought he was still recovering from his surgery.

I don’t think we know exactly.  From October:

Stewart is expected to return to baseball activities “near the end of Spring Training,” per a team statement. That would appear to preclude him from the chance of heading north with the team by Opening Day. The team called the operation “successful.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/dj-stewart-undergoes-microfracture-surgery.html

From December:

He’s going to have an abbreviated spring training,” Elias said on Tuesday.

“The exact amount of time he’s going to lose is still a little TBD, and also whether that will bleed into April and whether he will have to hold back and stay at the complex or go on a little mini-rehab assignment or something, that’s going to be TBD.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/12/11/elias-says-dj-stewart-rehabbing-well-jones-signs-japan-orioles-rumor-mill-quiet/amp/

I’ve heard no updates on his recovery since then.  

• Upvote 1

If Diaz is earmarked to defend Mountcastle's International League MVP for the organization, and the FA market is now on a spectrum between 1/2 for Zimmerman and 1/18 for Ozuna (damaging Castellanos and Puig's long term hopes), is there a Nelson Cruz-y price point you think Elias would consider for Puig?

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/yasiel-puig-is-a-dream-free-agent-for-some-last-place-teams/

We weren't among the three last place teams considered in this story, but to me there's an OF vacancy if/when Davis goes away.

I think Flores/Gennett/Walker better bets to be attractive pieces to buyers this summer (the market is speaking on Puig now), but those last two big guys are nearing 1/8 Cruz territory unless they want to Keuchel/Kimbrel.

4 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

If Diaz is earmarked to defend Mountcastle's International League MVP for the organization, and the FA market is now on a spectrum between 1/2 for Zimmerman and 1/18 for Ozuna (damaging Castellanos and Puig's long term hopes), is there a Nelson Cruz-y price point you think Elias would consider for Puig?

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/yasiel-puig-is-a-dream-free-agent-for-some-last-place-teams/

We weren't among the three last place teams considered in this story, but to me there's an OF vacancy if/when Davis goes away.

I think Flores/Gennett/Walker better bets to be attractive pieces to buyers this summer (the market is speaking on Puig now), but those last two big guys are nearing 1/8 Cruz territory unless they want to Keuchel/Kimbrel.

I thought Mountcastle was earmarked to defend his IL MVP?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he's going to become proficient at LF,1B, 2B and 3B while fixing his plate discipline issues in 3 weeks.

Why?    He can master two positions a week for two weeks and then master plate discipline the third week.   Done!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I think 3B is a bigger hole to fill if we are going to get another Iglesias placeholder type.

54 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think 3B is a bigger hole to fill if we are going to get another Iglesias placeholder type.

I agree Ruiz is a weaker link than Alberto, but can't Hanser 3B giving the club flexibility to shop 2B or 3B?  474 3B innings for Alberto last year, almost as many as 2B (612).

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I agree Ruiz is a weaker link than Alberto, but can't Hanser 3B giving the club flexibility to shop 2B or 3B?  474 3B innings for Alberto last year, almost as many as 2B (612).

Possible but Alberto seems better suited to 2B. Does not have a great arm but does have the range for 2B. Long term they need a SS as well!