2019 #12 Prospect: Keegan Akin - LHP

Tony-OH

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If he's healthy, and all indications are that he should be by next spring, he'll be in the rotation. He's as close to writing down in ink as any pitcher minus the injury risk.

It's the injury risk keeping him in pencil.  Some guys just keep falling apart after a certain point.

37 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Those four are pretty solid for starting 2020 in the rotation in my opinion. Brooks and Akin are probably the current leading choices to battle for the 5th spot, though a 6-year guy or more likely a waiver claim could be in the mix as well. I expect Elias to sign a healthy amount of good six-year minor league free agent pitchers because of the opportunity that exists on the pitching staff in 2020 and beyond.

Sounds like Brooks is about to come off the roster and Akins will probably start the season in the minors.  So the 6 year minor leaguers that are signed will be competing for the 5th rotation spot from what it looks like right now.

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Akins will probably start the season in the minors.

Why do you say that? Just curious, not criticizing.

They're going to add him to the 40-man, and with Brooks gone, short of adding a starter or him being terrible in ST, I don't see why he's not naturally next in line to be #5.

4 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

They're going to add him to the 40-man, and with Brooks gone, short of adding a starter or him being terrible in ST, I don't see why he's not naturally next in line to be #5.

Elias will give him a good part of a season at the MLB level. We will see what we got. 

22 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Elias' mantra has been to not rush prospects.   Let them develop in the minors and bring them up when they are ready.   Tony/Luke rates Akins currently as a 40.  That rates him as a below average chance to be successful as a starter.   If Elias agrees with that he will  probably send him back to the minors to work on some things before bringing him up.    

Tony made the point that until Elias evaluates Akin in ST he/we will not know exactly how ready he is.  So its a question to be answered in ST.   But Elias can not count on Akin being ready for the majors to start the season.  Elias has to add cheap starters to ensure the O's have enough starters to get through the season.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias' mantra has been to not rush prospects.   Let them develop in the minors and bring them up when they are ready.   Tony/Luke rates Akins currently as a 40.  That rates him as a below average chance to be successful as a starter.   If Elias agrees with that he will  probably send him back to the minors to work on some things before bringing him up.    

Tony made the point that until Elias evaluates Akin in ST he/we will not know exactly how ready he is.  So its a question to be answered in ST.   But Elias can not count on Akin being ready for the majors to start the season.  Elias has to add cheap starters to ensure the O's have enough starters to get through the season.

Was Grenier not rushed or is he not a prospect?

Sure Elias has his preferences but he is going to be adapt his preferences to the situation the team is in.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tony/Luke rates Akins currently as a 40.  That rates him as a below average chance to be successful as a starter.  

According to that chart, 40 just means up/down as a starter. Doesn't mean he's not ready. I don't think his trajectory is much more than what it is right now, and his 50 ceiling seems to fall in line with that.

I don't view Akin as much of a prospect. Rushing him isn't really a concern. When we talk about World Series-bound 2023 Orioles, Akin's not on that team.

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

According to that chart, 40 just means up/down as a starter. Doesn't mean he's not ready. I don't think his trajectory is much more than what it is right now, and his 50 ceiling seems to fall in line with that.

I don't view Akin as much of a prospect. Rushing him isn't really a concern. When we talk about World Series-bound 2023 Orioles, Akin's not on that team.

I doubt Elias is looking to start the season with a pitcher that is considered up/down.  He is more likely to give Akins more time to develop in the minors if that rating is correct.  I would think he will bring in stop gap starters to compete for a starting role at the beginning of the season.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I doubt Elias is looking to start the season with a pitcher that is considered up/down.  He is more likely to give Akins more time to develop in the minors if that rating is correct.  I would think he will bring in stop gap starters to compete for a starting role at the beginning of the season.

I suppose we'll see. I will not be surprised to see them bring in a starter, and Keegan Akin being ready/not ready won't play into that decision. They just need more starters in general.

37 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well you are at odds with Tony on that  if he was the one who rated him as a 40 on the minor league board.

A 40 is a swingman, if he’s a near ready 40 with an expected outcome of 45 (5th starter) you’d imagine he’d be a 45 at some point next year, very possibly by opening day. 

Also, how many 40s or above were in the rotation last year. You have Means and Bundy, maybe Woj is a 40. All the others are 35s with opportunity.