Bundy to San Diego Would Be Smart

weams

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Would the Padres view Bundy as an upgrade over any of their top four starters? I'm not sure I would. Feels more like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic. 

I think Joey Lucchesi is basically the Padres version of Dylan Bundy. 

8 minutes ago, esmd said:

I think Bundy is a JAG at this point, so I'd do it.  I agree with others though, I'm not sure how much value he has.

I think Bundy has more value to stay than trade at this point. If he puts it all together and can pitch well despite diminished velocity, trade him at the 2020 deadline. Otherwise, we need someone to pitch here in the meantime. I just don't see a return at this point  happening that surpasses those two considerations.

I think there are several avenues available for a trade with San Diego, who is loaded with prospects and needs pitching  

1) Make a smaller deal for a 2nd tier prospect, using Bundy and/or Givens. I’ve said before I’d love to go after Edwards at SS. It’s worth noting that their 2nd tier is on par with other teams’ first tier. 

2) Trade Mancini in a 3 way deal, with pitching going to SD and prospect to Baltimore  

3) Take Wil Myers’ contract off their books. It’s a bad contract and it would open up a spot for Naylor, and afford them the payroll space to bring Strasburg back home. This would bring the biggest prospect haul for Baltimore. We’re one of the few teams with plenty of payroll space. Myers’ contract would be expiring in 3 years, so he’d be off our books around the time we’d be looking to be seriously competitive. Another way to approach a Myers deal would be to swap bad contracts, Myers and prospect(s) for Cobb. 

Bundy is valuable as a rotation piece right now.  He could trend up after a year of learning the new system.  I would gamble on him raising his trade value mid or post season versus selling low now.  New starting pitching options will be around by then too.

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Bundy is worth zip in a deal.  He is what he is.  Ours. 

That’s definitely not true, he was a perfectly good 4th starter on a playoff team in 2019. He projects statistically to be a solid 2 WAR in 2019 and at 27 the aging curve isn’t that harsh yet. He’ll make something like 14M over the two seasons. I think Bundy would likely get something like 3/36 on the open market. There is at least 10M of surplus there, probably a bit more. Especially with teams trying to conserve money, getting a guy who projects as a #4/5 SP for about 5M is a desirable thing. Also, literally the only thing between Bundy and being a #2/3 pitcher is HR rate. He’s a league wide outlier in that respect. So he’s kind of a guy a team acquiring him can dream of upside. 

• Upvote 4