BRob is on the HOF Ballot

Frobby

14 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

PSS - Roberts is one and done on the ballot

As he should be.  Roberts was a fun player to watch, really good for a while. 

Usually I can come up with a plausible HOF argument for almost anyone with a decently long career.  But Roberts would be the lowest-scoring second baseman in the Hall in both straight rWAR and JAWS.  Bill Mazeroski is in the Hall because of legends and stories and stuff but he hit kind of like Ryan Flaherty.  Roberts has a lower JAWS score than Mazeroski.  

Roberts had a very short career for a HOFer.  The only ones below him in career games played are 19th century guys, Vet's committee mistakes, and players who had their careers artificially shortened by the color line or ended by death.  Hoyt Wilhelm, a pitcher, is only about 300 games behind Roberts.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

As I understand it, there are limited objective criteria you have to meet to be on the ballot (parts of 10 years in MLB and out 5 years).    Once you meet those, there’s a committee that recommends who goes on, but it’s largely a rubber stamp.    BRob is certainly in the top half of those being added to the ballot, but of course he’s no HOFer.    As I said, it’s just cool for him to be on there at all; not many get there.    

Players who have appeared on at least one Hall of Fame ballot include Al Hrabosky, Grant Jackson, Lynn McGlothen, Del Unser, Rick Dempsey, Scott Brosius, Bobby Witt, Woody Williams, Jose Mesa, Mike Stanton, Todd Walker, Hubie Brooks, Mike Jackson, David Segui, Casey Blake, Matt Stairs. 

In 1980 Frank Linzy, Bob Miller, Norm Miller, Ivan Murrell, Rick Reichardt, Dick Selma, and Duke Sims were on the ballot and I have no idea who any of them are, and I'm the guy who knows all the meaningless baseball history.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Players who have appeared on at least one Hall of Fame ballot include Al Hrabosky, Grant Jackson, Lynn McGlothen, Del Unser, Rick Dempsey, Scott Brosius, Bobby Witt, Woody Williams, Jose Mesa, Mike Stanton, Todd Walker, Hubie Brooks, Mike Jackson, David Segui, Casey Blake, Matt Stairs. 

In 1980 Frank Linzy, Bob Miller, Norm Miller, Ivan Murrell, Rick Reichardt, Dick Selma, and Duke Sims were on the ballot and I have no idea who any of them are, and I'm the guy who knows all the meaningless baseball history.

I remember Rick Reichardt.   He’s actually a semi-important figure in baseball history: 

Reichardt was a spectacular two-sport star at the University of Wisconsin, twice leading the Big 10 in batting, and starring as a fullback on the 1962 #2 ranked Badgers Rose Bowl team, which was defeated in the 1963 Rose Bowl by #1 ranked USC in the "comeback that never was" where the Badgers scored 23 points in the last 12 minutes, but still lost by 5 points (42 to 37). His athletic prowess was highly rated by all Major League Baseball scouts, and when a bidding war ensued for his signing, he received a $200,000 ($1,636,739 today) signing bonus from the Los Angeles Angels, a record for that time. It was the bidding war for Reichardt that ultimately led Major League Baseball to institute a draft, which started in 1965, with Rick Mondaybeing the first ever #1 overall selection (he was drafted by the Kansas City Athletics).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Reichardt

• Upvote 1

I dislike Jeter the person, Jeter being a pinstriper.

While he wasnt much with the glove, its hard to deny his ability with the bat.

For the life of me, I dont get the clowns that voted him so many GG. His career dWAR was like -8.3.

Does he beyond in the HOF as a first ballot yes, I hate to see him get unanimous, when so many before him, deserved and didnt.

Somebody said once, who cares if I got in by unanimous, I am in, and thats the bottom line.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I remember Rick Reichardt.   He’s actually a semi-important figure in baseball history: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Reichardt

11 "years" in the majors, with three of them where he appeared in 20 games or less.  Did have a nearly 5-win season in 1968.  About 50% of Brian Roberts' career.  14 wins in total.

I wonder what the lowest WAR total is for someone who appeared on a HOF ballot, or got a HOF vote?  There has to be someone under replacement.  

20 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

11 "years" in the majors, with three of them where he appeared in 20 games or less.  Did have a nearly 5-win season in 1968.  About 50% of Brian Roberts' career.  14 wins in total.

I wonder what the lowest WAR total is for someone who appeared on a HOF ballot, or got a HOF vote?  There has to be someone under replacement.  

I don’t have time right now to go back beyond the 21st Century, but since then, the closest to replacement level player on the ballot was Lenny Harris (1.7 rWAR), followed closely by Tony Womack (2.4).    The lowest to actually receive an HOF vote was Dante Bichette, whose 5.7 rWAR garnered him 3 votes.    

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Getting old sucks, 2014 feels like it was just yesterday.  Brian Roberts was still playing, the Orioles were good, I wasn't married xD.  Now, Brian Roberts is HOF eligible, the Orioles aren't good, and I'm coming up on a year of marriage.

Roberts time with the Orioles had long passed since 2014. What makes me feel old is Mussina's last season being 2009. I can easily remember watching his starts on TV his rookie season. 

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Roberts time with the Orioles had long passed since 2014. What makes me feel old is Mussina's last season being 2009. I can easily remember watching his starts on TV his rookie season. 

I was in the stands at Memorial Stadium for Mussina's 1st MLB win.  The first game I saw in person involved Carl Yastrzemski and Don Stanhouse.

I think @El Gordo was there when Matt Kilroy struck out his 500th batter of the 1886 season.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I was in the stands at Memorial Stadium for Mussina's 1st MLB win.  The first game I saw in person involved Carl Yastrzemski and Don Stanhouse.

I think @El Gordo was there when Matt Kilroy struck out his 500th batter of the 1886 season.

I have no memory at all of the first baseball game I ever attended.   I’m sure it involved the Senators.   Who they played and what year it was, I have no idea.    My dad had a friend who worked for a U.S. Senator, and the “real” Senators had free passes to the baseball Senators games.    Once in a blue moon we’d get those tickets.   

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t have time right now to go back beyond the 21st Century, but since then, the closest to replacement level player on the ballot was Lenny Harris (1.7 rWAR), followed closely by Tony Womack (2.4).    The lowest to actually receive an HOF vote was Dante Bichette, whose 5.7 rWAR garnered him 3 votes.    

Doc Cramer got HOF votes in five different years for an 8-win career.  He did end up with 2705 hits, which I'm guessing is some kind of all time record with 338 hits per win.

Walt Dropo, who had 144 RBI as a rookie, got a few votes on the '67 ballot.  84% of his career value of 3.1 wins was in his rookie season.

Willie Montanez (1.7 win career) appeared on the ballot in '88 but didn't get any votes.  Same with Ed Kranepool (4.4 wins) in '85.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have no memory at all of the first baseball game I ever attended.   I’m sure it involved the Senators.   Who they played and what year it was, I have no idea.    My dad had a friend who worked for a U.S. Senator, and the “real” Senators had free passes to the baseball Senators games.    Once in a blue moon we’d get those tickets.   

I was lucky that my Dad bought a program and wrote down the lineups and made a note that the game had the highest regular season Oriole attendance ever up to that date.  So thanks to bb-ref it was pretty easy to track down.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My first game was a senators game, I remember the players, just not the game itself, and back then they used to give out real Louisville sluggers to kids attending games.  I loved mine, did mine my handle up with the rough black electrical tape of that era, and the bigger i got, the better I was able to use that awesome bat. Damn, I wish my old man hadnt toss that SOB when I left home.