Rule 5 thoughts

Roll Tide

16 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Hever Bueno has dealt with injuries and missed all of 2018 with TJS, so this was his first healthy pro season and he sat 96-99 t100 with a nasty curveball. Control/command not back yet, but improved as the year went on. 

Bueno seems to have the best combination of later upside plus ability to contribute (or stick for 365) at least a little bit in '20.

Yes?

14 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Bueno seems to have the best combination of later upside plus ability to contribute (or stick for 365) at least a little bit in '20.

Yes?

He's just the best combination of pure stuff and the mechanics to be able to throw enough strikes. Yes. It's a huge jump from Low A though, and that needs to be considered.

10 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I'm looking at Alemais on baseball reference. .279/.348/.692 is not bad at AA in regards to average and OBP. SB / CS 16/9 . Only 21 XBH in 460 AB and 6 HR in a 1000 AB. So does he really have potential beyond a weak stick utility infielder? I'd rather they take a shot at Jose Rojas who has hit everywhere, has power 30+ Hrs this year, and only 10 errors in 550+ innings

Rojas is my guy as well. He would have to play Pedro Alvarez level of bad defense to pass on that bat.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Luke-OH said:

He's just the best combination of pure stuff and the mechanics to be able to throw enough strikes. Yes. It's a huge jump from Low A though, and that needs to be considered.

Understood.

But if you spend a year asking him to get 3 outs, and then bump him back to Norfolk to develop, this guy has a chance to start if things go well, right?

If the O's are looking for a long term asset, this guy seems like he's in the conversation.

That seems far more like what they'll do than grab a guy who might top out as a good 7th inning guy. Yes?

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

If a guy has been around long enough to be R5 eligible and still hasnt gotten above a ball ( low A...get it?.....I’ll show myself out.) isn’t that a huge warning sign? That’s where Jason Garcia was, and we know how that ended up.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

If a guy has been around long enough to be R5 eligible and still hasnt gotten above a ball ( low A...get it?.....I’ll show myself out.) isn’t that a huge warning sign? That’s where Jason Garcia was, and we know how that ended up.

It depends. Development isn't a straight line. In Bueno's case, he missed a bunch of time with injuries. He's only thrown 79 innings in pro ball, so that's why he's where he is. This was his first season as a reliever and he showed the best velocity and offspeed stuff of his baseball career. 

16 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Understood.

But if you spend a year asking him to get 3 outs, and then bump him back to Norfolk to develop, this guy has a chance to start if things go well, right?

If the O's are looking for a long term asset, this guy seems like he's in the conversation.

That seems far more like what they'll do than grab a guy who might top out as a good 7th inning guy. Yes?

Eh, with his age and injury history, I wouldn't try to get him to start. If you want to grab a guy to get through the year and then go back to the minors develop as a starter, Luis Rijo is probably the best option. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

It depends. Development isn't a straight line. In Bueno's case, he missed a bunch of time with injuries. He's only thrown 79 innings in pro ball, so that's why he's where he is. This was his first season as a reliever and he showed the best velocity and offspeed stuff of his baseball career. 

Eh, with his age and injury history, I wouldn't try to get him to start. If you want to grab a guy to get through the year and then go back to the minors develop as a starter, Luis Rijo is probably the best option. 

So he's got a bit of a Junior Fernandez vibe, no?  I would take a chance on him.  

19 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I'm looking at Alemais on baseball reference. .279/.348/.692 is not bad at AA in regards to average and OBP. SB / CS 16/9 . Only 21 XBH in 460 AB and 6 HR in a 1000 AB. So does he really have potential beyond a weak stick utility infielder? I'd rather they take a shot at Jose Rojas who has hit everywhere, has power 30+ Hrs this year, and only 10 errors in 550+ innings

Have you seen anything on Rojas’ defense?  Can he actually play 2B or 3B?  The bat is interesting even if it’s inflated by the PCL and juiced ball. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Have you seen anything on Rojas’ defense?  Can he actually play 2B or 3B?  The bat is interesting even if it’s inflated by the PCL and juiced ball. 

No ..... He's only committed 10 errors in I believe 550 innings. I gave to admit I know nothing about looking up defense metrics. **** Also I think the 10 errors are at 2B as he also can play 1B, 3B, and LF.

My point is that Alemais would have to drastically improve to be more than a utility infielder. Why go through the pain of carrying a guy with a ceiling that low.

His best position appears to be 3B

20. Jose Rojas, INF

Highest Level: AAA

.289/.355/.501, 17 HR, .213 ISO, 139 wRC+, 8.9% BB, 20.7% K, 10 SB

1,085 players were taken off the board before the Angels called Jose Rojas’ name in the 36th round of the 2016 draft. (Do they even call 36th rounders?) Only a handful have had a better pro career than Rojas at this point. The Vanguard University alum played primarily first base in 2018 as he split time between Double-A and Triple-A, but he also spent time at third, second and in the outfield corners. Rojas has hit everywhere, and was a Cal League all-star last year and even defeated Josh Naylor in the homerun derby. The lefty is a gap-to-gap hitter but he does have some pull side power. He fits best as a third baseman, but can also play a passable second base. Rojas has the makings of an offensive-minded utility option, and would be ranked much higher on this list if he wasn’t already 26. Rojas should see time with the Angels this summer. ETA: 2019.

• Upvote 1

I like Rojas.  It could be a classic case of a team trying to give it's top draft picks(Thaiss, Fletcher, etc...) over a late round player like Rojas.  

He could be a potential platoon partner with Ruiz at 3B.  The draft and stash relievers haven't really worked out for us before, but we do have a new development staff.  

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

No ..... He's only committed 10 errors in I believe 550 innings. I gave to admit I know nothing about looking up defense metrics. **** Also I think the 10 errors are at 2B as he also can play 1B, 3B, and LF.

My point is that Alemais would have to drastically improve to be more than a utility infielder. Why go through the pain of carrying a guy with a ceiling that low.

550/9 = about 61 games.  Is 10 errors in 61 games really a low number?  Doesn't seem all that low to me.  I'm not so sure that the word "only" applies.  He seems to be an offense-first utility guy.  Not really opposed to the guy, but I think that we would be wrong to think that he would be a good defensive player, based on what I've read about him.