Winter Warm-up, Birdland Brunch, and Brews and O's

MurphDogg

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

Now Muhammad Ali's autograph I would have wanted.   

To be honest, I’m not sure where it is.    Hopefully I still have it in the house.   

I have two other favorite autographs.    In 1970 I won a contest to be “honorary bat boy” at a Washington Senators game.    I got to go into the dugout before the game, met and shook hands with Ted Williams, and got his autograph.    

Finally, I had a distant relative who was head of concessions at Cleveland Municipal Stadium.     The last week of that season, the Orioles rolled into Cleveland and my relative got all four Orioles’ starting pitcher to sign a ball addressed to me.   Needless to say, those four pitchers all won 20 games — and three of the four did so during that Cleveland series.    It’s a pretty cool item to have. 

• Upvote 2

I have Billy "Easy" Smith's autograph -- yes, he actually signed it that way -- as well as Joe Ehrmann's, both of which were gifts from my cousin. I also have a 1939 autographed and authenticated 8 1/2 x 11 photo of Ted Williams; I have no idea where that came from. And an Artie Donovan autograph that I asked him to make out to my father, which he gave me when I acted as Artie's "fixer" at a fundraiser where he was so gracious as to donate his time to the Huntington's Disease Foundation, providing a lengthy, humorous keynote address at their annual gala. All he asked for was a 12 of Schlitz. 

The only two celebrities I ever asked an autograph of (despite having encountered numerous, many of whom were actors and entertainers in addition to athletes) were Artie and Cal. Cal snubbed me.

P.S. I spent an afternoon with Brooks decades back. I did not ask for his autograph. But I can tell you he was as warm and as gracious and gentlemanly as you have ever heard about him from others.

36 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I have Billy "Easy" Smith's autograph -- yes, he actually signed it that way -- as well as Joe Ehrmann's, both of which were gifts from my cousin. I also have a 1939 autographed and authenticated 8 1/2 x 11 photo of Ted Williams; I have no idea where that came from. And an Artie Donovan autograph that I asked him to make out to my father, which he gave me when I acted as Artie's "fixer" at a fundraiser where he was so gracious as to donate his time to the Huntington's Disease Foundation, providing a lengthy, humorous keynote address at their annual gala. All he asked for was a 12 of Schlitz. 

The only two celebrities I ever asked an autograph of (despite having encountered numerous, many of whom were actors and entertainers in addition to athletes) were Artie and Cal. Cal snubbed me.

P.S. I spent an afternoon with Brooks decades back. I did not ask for his autograph. But I can tell you he was as warm and as gracious and gentlemanly as you have ever heard about him from others.

I used to work at a grocery store in college and my boss used to me make me buy his lottery tickets at the liquor store next door and I frequently saw Artie Donovan in there shopping.  Only knew who he was because of Letterman.  Didn’t ask him for his autograph though.  Mark Williamson used to come in the Grocery store a bunch. As did coach Kenny Cooper. 

Saw Brooks coming out of Security Mall one day In the 80s and he looked like he didn’t want to be bothered so I didn’t say anything to him. He left through Hutzlers so he probably figured no one was going to be in there.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, atomic said:

I used to work at a grocery store in college and my boss used to me make me buy his lottery tickets at the liquor store next door and I frequently saw Artie Donovan in there shopping.  Only knew who he was because of Letterman.  Didn’t ask him for his autograph though.  Mark Williamson used to come in the Grocery store a bunch. As did coach Kenny Cooper. 

Saw Brooks coming out of Security Mall one day In the 80s and he looked like he didn’t want to be bothered so I didn’t say anything to him. He left through Hutzlers so he probably figured no one was going to be in there.

Hutzler's was in Westview Mall, not Security Mall.

8 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Hutzler's was in Westview Mall, not Security Mall.

From Wikipedia:  In 1952, after nearly 100 years exclusively on the original site, Hutzler's opened its first branch store in Towson, Maryland.[1] Other stores followed at Westview Mall, Eastpoint Mall, Southdale Center (this location was moved to Harundale Mall), Security Square Mall, Harford Mall, White Marsh Mall, and Salisbury Mall. In 1980, a small store in the Inner Harbor area was opened.[2]

And here is an article about the Security location closing:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121105104056/http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-7600493.html

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Probably had carpal tunnel syndrome from signing so many balls.

The fun of Feller sounding off was that he was openly contentious. I know one person whose grandfather liked to go off on whatever he felt like in his final years. His attitude was: Who would want to punch out an 83 year old man? Being ornery was a right you earned with the age. Feller exercised that right.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

From Wikipedia:  In 1952, after nearly 100 years exclusively on the original site, Hutzler's opened its first branch store in Towson, Maryland.[1] Other stores followed at Westview Mall, Eastpoint Mall, Southdale Center (this location was moved to Harundale Mall), Security Square Mall, Harford Mall, White Marsh Mall, and Salisbury Mall. In 1980, a small store in the Inner Harbor area was opened.[2]

https://web.archive.org/web/20121105104056/http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-7600493.html

Mea Culpa. I stand corrected. I do not remember Hutzler's at Security.

12 hours ago, atomic said:

Brooksie was probably eager to get home and change into his golf jeans. 

:-)

3 hours ago, atomic said:

So there wasn't a Hutzler's at Columbia Mall?

I guess it was just Hecht's and Woodward & Lothrop there.   And maybe Sears?   I think it always had 3 anchor stores with a Y-shaped floor plan.