Ok, if we’re going to be bad, then...

HowAboutThat

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree that the worst isn't behind us.  I think next season will be the worst record wise, but that's because the pitching staff.  I expect the lineup to be around the same, especially once Mountcastle comes up.  The pitching staff minus Bundy and Givens will be terrible.  Plus, we will not rush any of the arms that will be in AAA next year.  

We’ll see if Bundy or Givens gets traded.    But I feel our pitching is likely to be better in 2020 than in 2019.     Why do I say that?    Because it’s very, very hard to allow more than 981 runs in a season.    No modern Oriole team ever allowed more than 913 runs before last year.     I don’t know exactly what will go better, but odds are that something will.   

One wild card is Cobb.    Is he healthy?     Is he any good?    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We’ll see if Bundy or Givens gets traded.    But I feel our pitching is likely to be better in 2020 than in 2019.     Why do I say that?    Because it’s very, very hard to allow more than 981 runs in a season.    No modern Oriole team ever allowed more than 913 runs before last year.     I don’t know exactly what will go better, but odds are that something will.   

It's a scary thought but right now you'd have to handicap as us being worse off than last year.  We're going to leave the prospects in AAA all year, just like we did with Akin. 

I think we have to trade Bundy and Givens.  I don't think Givens racking up saves with us is going to change playoff a contender's mind that he's more than a good 7th/8th inning guy.  Also, I think Bundy is a player that a playoff team would want, but they wouldn't want him starting a playoff game.  So I think that limits his deadline value.  

So that leaves a rotation of Means, Cobb, Wojo, Akin, ?.  I don't even want to think about the bullpen.  

Bold Prediction... We'll have the lowest W total O/U in Vegas.  49.5?

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It's a scary thought but right now you'd have to handicap as us being worse off than last year.  We're going to leave the prospects in AAA all year, just like we did with Akin. 

I think we have to trade Bundy and Givens.  I don't think Givens racking up saves with us is going to change playoff a contender's mind that he's more than a good 7th/8th inning guy.  Also, I think Bundy is a player that a playoff team would want, but they wouldn't want him starting a playoff game.  So I think that limits his deadline value.  

So that leaves a rotation of Means, Cobb, Wojo, Akin, ?.  I don't even want to think about the bullpen.  

Bold Prediction... We'll have the lowest W total O/U in Vegas.  49.5?

If they leave Mountcastle in AAA all season (again) I'll drive up with a Suburban full of torches and pitchforks.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they leave Mountcastle in AAA all season (again) I'll drive up with a Suburban full of torches and pitchforks.

Just till June 1.  Like I've said before, I don't think there is a player in the organization that we'll have to cross the extension bridge with.  Mountcastle is viewed as just a 1B/DH.  We'll have 6.5 years of control of him, so there's no reason to extend him after that.  Diaz got $15 million as a signing bonus out of Cuba, so he won't be desperate for an extension.  AR got $8.1 million to sign, I don't think he's going to sign a team friendly extension.  Maybe Hall or Rodriguez, but extending pitchers early is real risky, plus they got 1st round money.  

Maybe Hays?  Injuries though.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Just till June 1.  Like I've said before, I don't think there is a player in the organization that we'll have to cross the extension bridge with.  Mountcastle is viewed as just a 1B/DH.  We'll have 6.5 years of control of him, so there's no reason to extend him after that.  Diaz got $15 million as a signing bonus out of Cuba, so there's no reason for him to extend.  AR got $8.1 million to sign, I don't think he's going to sign a team friendly extension.  Maybe Hall or Rodriguez, but extending pitchers early is real risky, plus they got 1st round money.  

Source for him not being regarded as a potential left fielder?

• Haha 1

I can definitely see the pitching being worse.

Cashner is no longer around and looked like the league figured out Means later in the season. We received high quality starting pitching from those two for a good chunk of our starts, and it's very possible Bundy and/or Givens are traded before the season begins.

Cobb, Kremer, Harvey, Akin, Lowther, etc. at least offer the possibility of optimism, but in all likelihood we are looking at our best innings in 2019 being replaced by 5.50 ERA level pitching (or worse) in 2020.

It is not hard to be historically bad if the personnel fits the bill.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just till June 1. 

It’s possible the O’s will keep him down that long, but I tend to doubt it.    They only need to hold him back 2 weeks or so to control him through 2026.     My guess is they wait a little beyond that so they can say he was working on defensive skills before they brought him up.    

As an aside, I read somewhere that the Super-2 cutoff date for the 2019 “graduating class” is expected to be the latest it’s ever been, at 2 years, 115 days.    You’d have to hold a player back until June 5, 2020 to avoid Super-2 if that late date was replicated in 2022.   

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Then they should remove it as a feature.  And like I said I have gotten a ton of downvotes for just posting my opinions.  I don't agree with anything Elias has done.  

Just out of curiosity, if his plan DOES work and goes exactly as he planned and we're perennial contenders throughout the 2020's, will you say you were wrong and his plan worked, or will you say "yeah but it took 3 losing seasons to get there?"  Just curious to know if you're just going to complain about everything, or if there is a method to your complaining?  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Just out of curiosity, if his plan DOES work and goes exactly as he planned and we're perennial contenders throughout the 2020's, will you say you were wrong and his plan worked, or will you say "yeah but it took 3 losing seasons to get there?"  Just curious to know if you're just going to complain about everything, or if there is a method to your complaining?  

What if it doesn't work out?  Are you going to make excuses for the reason it didn't work out?  Three losing seasons I can handle.  Three season where there is zero reason to watch the games is the issue. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Cobb is not healthy and he isn't any good.