Millar wants to return

Frobby

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I do realize that the O's will be 'smart' enough to start 37 year old Melvin Mora with his expiring 2009 contract, everyday at 3rd, while putting 25year Nolan Reimold in AAA, and tell everyone with a straight-face that they are rebuilding.

Well, as a general point, just because you are rebuilding doesn't mean you shouldn't have any veterans playing. If you have the younger guys ready to step in, then do it. However, if you don't (and we don't at 3B) then it's not a bad thing to play a guy who had a big year like Mora. Defensively, Mora is far superior to Huff, and I just don't think Huff is adequate enough at 3B to put him out there every day.

Reimold should have his chance to make the team in the spring (ala Nick in '06), and I hope that he does. But if he plays, it should not come at Mora's expense, due to the defensive problems it creates. If things go as they're looking, with us not signing Tex, Reimold should have a shot to win the LF job (Huff & Scott at 1B/DH).

2009 Existing Internal Options

Roberts 2nd

Jones CF

Markakis RF

Huff 1st

Mora 3rd

Scott DH

Wieters C

Reimold LF

The abyss that is SS

Quiroz or Hernandez, UTI Inf, Montanez, Moore

Guthrie, Cabrera, Olson, Penn, Liz

Sherrill

Ray

Johnson

Albers

Sarfate

Bierd

Walker

2009 with Tex, Burnett

Roberts 2nd

Jones CF

Markakis RF

Tex 1st

Huff 3rd

Wieters C

Scott DH

Reimold LF

The abyss that is SS

Quiroz or Hernandez, Fahey, Montanez, Mora

Guthrie, Burnett, Cabrera, Olson, Penn

Sherrill

Ray

Johnson

Albers

Sarfate

Penn

Walker

There is no need for Kevin Millar.

Ugh! That's like the tenth time I've seen something exactly like that. I seriously doubt we will get Tex guys. IMO.

Huff has played third base 15 times this season. I really don't see AM thinking that he can run Huff out there very often and still get the production he is getting with his bat. Huff is a dh. If anyone thought he was an everyday (or even 3x per week) answer at third he would have been traded already.

Millar will be the OD first baseman if we miss out on Tex...I have very little doubt about that.

If that's true, then the front office has very little imagination...if we don't sign Tex, Huff should start at 1B, Scott should be the full time DH and Montanez/Reimold should fight it out for the starting LF job. Let Scott take some reps at 1B in Spring Training if we need some versatility.

Oscar Salazar and Scott Moore. Dallas McPherson will also be a FA I believe...

Excellent point. Cot's has McPherson signed only through 2008. Personally, I would much, much, rather gamble on McPherson staying healthy and making the final adjustment to ML pitching, than Millar's skills improving at age 37.

Millar will be the OD first baseman if we miss out on Tex...I have very little doubt about that.

If Millar is the 2009 OD first baseman, MacPhail should be fired. There are way too many options that are out there that are better than Millar if we don't get Tex. At the very least Huff should start there.

I'd take Millar back as a coach. Not as a player.

Huff is out DH next year.

We need a long term solution at first base and Millar ain't it. Even if we can't sign Tex we should be looking for other long term solutions.

Millar, IMO, wouldn't make a good bench player. For one, he doesn't hit well when he's not playing regularly. And two, I'd rather have someone more versitile as a bench player, Millar can only play 1B/DH.

If that's true, then the front office has very little imagination...if we don't sign Tex, Huff should start at 1B, Scott should be the full time DH and Montanez/Reimold should fight it out for the starting LF job. Let Scott take some reps at 1B in Spring Training if we need some versatility.
This is a good plan, Three Run. Scott needs a year off from the field simply to let his body heal (or, should I say, to let his heel heal).

Much as I love Millar, there simply doesn't appear to be much roster space available for him -- even if we acquire only a single position player through FA or trade (my preference would be a LH batting shortstop who can play center field, in other words a Freddie Bynum profile, but one who can actually play). If both Montanez and Reimold make the team, plus the good Bynum, plus Moore (assuming he shows enough in Spring training to show he has some future potential), we're all tapped out. So I think it's time to start the Millar to bench coach campaign.

I would like to say thanks for your time & effort with the Orioles Mr. Millar. Its been nice knowing you. We'd be interested in talking with you about a position as a coach. Let us know if you're interested so we can ship your stuff to Delmarva. Otherwise thanks for the memories! LoL

2009 Existing Internal Options

Roberts 2nd

Jones CF

Markakis RF

Huff 1st

Mora 3rd

Scott DH

Wieters C

Reimold LF

The abyss that is SS

Quiroz or Hernandez, UTI Inf, Montanez, Moore

Guthrie, Cabrera, Olson, Penn, Liz

Sherrill

Ray

Johnson

Albers

Sarfate

Bierd

Walker

2009 with Tex, Burnett

Roberts 2nd

Jones CF

Markakis RF

Tex 1st

Huff 3rd

Wieters C

Scott DH

Reimold LF

The abyss that is SS

Quiroz or Hernandez, Fahey, Montanez, Mora

Guthrie, Burnett, Cabrera, Olson, Penn

Sherrill

Ray

Johnson

Albers

Sarfate

Penn

Walker

There is no need for Kevin Millar.

There is no use to spend the money on Tex if 3/5s of the rotation is DCab, Olson and Penn.

And for the record, I doubt think MacPhail will spend big bucks on Burnett.

I'd say the off season priorities are:

1. Acquire starting pitching through trades.

2. Sign BRob and Huff to extensions.

3. Find a young, strong defensive SS.

Oh, oh, oh...wot's this?

Teams win championships and players don't. I believe in chemistry 100 percent, and you can't buy it. There are so many different egos and personalities that go into a 25-man roster, and you really can have a toxic mix. I've seen teams that were jealous of each other, and I've seen teammates that root against each other. I've seen a lot of different situations, but this team right here really cares about each other. This group right here stays together and hangs out together. That's a unique thing. We have a great mix of Latins and good ole' boys, young players and veterans. It's just been a great breath of fresh air.

Hmmmmm.....

There is no use to spend the money on Tex if 3/5s of the rotation is DCab, Olson and Penn.
Thats an utterly irrelevant scenario. You don't sign Tex to compete in 2009. So the rotation in 2009 doesn't matter.

You sign Tex to compete from 2010-2013. The rotation in those years will include a couple of our prospects, Guthrie, maybe one of Olson, Liz, or Penn if they work out, and probably a FA or two.

Saying that it "is no use to spend the money on Tex if 3/5s of the rotation is DCab, Olson and Penn" shows a complete lack of understanding the rebuilding plan that MacPhail is implementing. Signing Tex isn't the big move that puts us over the top, its just another step in the rebuilding. A big step, but still just a step.

Archived