Millar wants to return

Frobby

Yeah I pretty much agree with that. And I don't see us trading Roberts (and don't think we should for what offers I'd expect to get for him).

I can see Sherrill being moved, but I think his value will be far lower than it was in July. He's the one guy who I think we missed the boat on trading. Everybody else we could get similar offers in the offseason (not necessarily good offers, just similar to the offers being made in July).

Trading Brian Roberts is a big NO!:no:

He is beyond priceless..:hearts:

No other could replace his heart!:)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Millar is the 2009 OD first baseman, MacPhail should be fired. There are way too many options that are out there that are better than Millar if we don't get Tex. At the very least Huff should start there.

Poor Jtrea:(I really feel for you living in red sux land:( I just got back from there.

Kevin would not have to be starting 1st baseman but I hope he can stay on the team somehow:002_scry:

Millar said it... add some pitching and we're a contender... ok.. add Tex/Dunn to the pitching we add and we've got a shot. Blake Davis has had a nice monthly increase in his offensive performance this season. He might be worth a look in September. Do you think Millar would sign for a team and not be an everyday player?

Millar said it... add some pitching and we're a contender... ok.. add Tex/Dunn to the pitching we add and we've got a shot. Blake Davis has had a nice monthly increase in his offensive performance this season. He might be worth a look in September. Do you think Millar would sign for a team and not be an everyday player?

Yeah, all the Orioles need are 4/5ths of a starting rotation, a legitimate closer, a first basemen, a third basemen, a left fielder, and a shortstop.

We're not that far off at all. :rolleyes:

Open your eyes people, the Orioles haven't accomplished much at all if they're really serious about rebuilding.

If they really want to rebuild this team to where a few years from now they can possibly compete for a WS year in and year out, there is no way in hell that Millar, Payton, Hernandez, and Mora should be on the team next year. I'm sorry, there's no really good explanation for it. They need to be gone. Millar should walk, and they should trade the rest for what they can get. Sherrill needs to go to a team that can actually get value out of him, Roberts the same. No use in letting those guys go to waste, and winning clubs would give players like them a higher value than they ever could be with the O's right now. I'm torn on Huff, but if a good deal comes along you need to not think twice and move him as well, his value will likely never be higher.

Yeah, all the Orioles need are 4/5ths of a starting rotation, a legitimate closer, a first basemen, a third basemen, a left fielder, and a shortstop.

Between Scott, Reimold, and Montanez...you don't think we have a left fielder?

Open your eyes people, the Orioles haven't accomplished much at all if they're really serious about rebuilding.

Since you have a nice pretty color of red representing your reputation, I'll assume that most posters on here ignore your posts and/or don't value your opinion much, and so, I'll follow their lead. ;)

If they really want to rebuild this team to where a few years from now they can possibly compete for a WS year in and year out, there is no way in hell that Millar, Payton, Hernandez, and Mora should be on the team next year. I'm sorry, there's no really good explanation for it. They need to be gone. Millar should walk, and they should trade the rest for what they can get. Sherrill needs to go to a team that can actually get value out of him, Roberts the same. No use in letting those guys go to waste, and winning clubs would give players like them a higher value than they ever could be with the O's right now. I'm torn on Huff, but if a good deal comes along you need to not think twice and move him as well, his value will likely never be higher.

I am not sure where some of you get your idea of rebuilding, but this post is WAY off. The rebuild begins in the minor leagues. When you trade off veterans, you get PROSPECTS. You get MINOR LEAGUE prospects. You don't trade a Payton or Millar or Huff and get a .300 hitting, slick fielding Major League shortstop. You get somebody in A or AA who MAY or MAY NOT ever make it to the bigs. The rebuilding has started, and we have made big improvements. We got rid of a decent hitting ss and a pitcher who has been on the DL all season, for a starting left fielder who has outproduced Tejada's production, a closer who made the All-Star team, a long term answer in CF, a starting pitcher in AA who could very well be the #2 man for a long time on this team, and a whole slew of other pitchers who will help this team in the future. In the meantime, we have a catcher in AA who most experts predict will be a top ML player in the very near future. We have signed a another first round pitcher who should be pitching for the big club by 2010 at the latest.

I am not sure what some of you are after, but if you think rebuilding means releasing all vets, eating their salary, and having the Norfolk roster in Baltimore, then you are way off base.

Realistically, we are 3 starting pitchers and one additional shut down arm in the bullpen away from contending in 2009. Cabrera isn't a bad option as a #5 starter despite all his issues.

The current offense with Quiroz, Millar & Payton gone and replaced by Wieters, Salazar and Montanez / Reimold is easily strong enough to perform at championship level assuming we don't see significant regression from Mora, Huff or Roberts next year.

Although its not the perfect scenario, this team can do fine with Castro at short if the other eight guys are as productive next year as they have been this year.

While that doesn't mean we're "close" to contending, we're not so far off that we couldn't acquire the pieces we need this offseason. The question is will the O's target all the pitching we'd require to contend in free agency and the likely answer is "no".

But it doesn't make the concept of contending in 2009 as laughable as you try to suggest.

The 4/5 of a rotation I agree with. I think the O's may find out the Johnson is next years closer.

The position players represent the offense which is playoff caliber.

The question is how do the O's get three more starters without hurting the offense. Scott, Ramon, Sherrill and DCab could all be trading chips. Montanez will try to prove he can take over left. Wieters' in line for catcher. Johnson maybe next year closer. DCab could use a change of uniform.

There may be ways this team can improve next year. Let's see what MacPhail can do.

Realistically, we are 3 starting pitchers and one additional shut down arm in the bullpen away from contending in 2009. Cabrera isn't a bad option as a #5 starter despite all his issues.

The current offense with Quiroz, Millar & Payton gone and replaced by Wieters, Salazar and Montanez / Reimold is easily strong enough to perform at championship level assuming we don't see significant regression from Mora, Huff or Roberts next year.

Although its not the perfect scenario, this team can do fine with Castro at short if the other eight guys are as productive next year as they have been this year.

Totally agree with this. Guthrie is a #2 and Cabrera is a #4 piece in a competitive rotation. The bullpen is fine with everyone healthy, and we have plenty of potential minor league fill-in arms. The offense as it stands is solid and could get better through FA.

McPhail should look towards acquiring SP help in free agency. Even above Tex, that should be his priority, as it would improve the major league club most immediately for 09 and beyond. SS is a weak spot on numerous teams, even the defending champs.

As for the organization, trading for position prospects, particularly infielders, seems to be the most pressing concern.

Millar is an okay stop-gap until we can fill 1B out in pen. If we do manage to sign Tex, there just isn't any roster space for him.

Millar is 21st among 1B with 150+ PAs in VORP, somewhere similar in EQA. He's 17th in +/- as a defender at -3, and that's his best ranking in at least three years. His triple-slash line is .247/.339/.419.

Scott Moore's translated (i.e. Major League Equivalent) line at Norfolk is .242/.311/.412.

Is Millar's clubhouse presence worth giving him a roster spot over a roughly equivalent on-field player 12 or 13 years his junior?

Millar is 21st among 1B with 150+ PAs in VORP, somewhere similar in EQA. He's 17th in +/- as a defender at -3, and that's his best ranking in at least three years. His triple-slash line is .247/.339/.419.

Scott Moore's translated (i.e. Major League Equivalent) line at Norfolk is .242/.311/.412.

Is Millar's clubhouse presence worth giving him a roster spot over a roughly equivalent on-field player 12 or 13 years his junior?

I don't think it would be easy, if at all, to make the case for Millar as your everyday 1b'man. Which is why I posted earlier whether anyone thinks he would sign here as a utility player. In that situation, I think we could find room for him. If it were me, I might consider making him the Bench coach and part time player if he had any interest in that.

Moore at Norfolk is hitting .248 .317 .409 726. So essentially there is no difference between hitting for Norfolk and hittng for the O's?

The 4/5 of a rotation I agree with. I think the O's may find out the Johnson is next years closer.

The position players represent the offense which is playoff caliber.

The question is how do the O's get three more starters without hurting the offense. Scott, Ramon, Sherrill and DCab could all be trading chips. Montanez will try to prove he can take over left. Wieters' in line for catcher. Johnson maybe next year closer. DCab could use a change of uniform.

There may be ways this team can improve next year. Let's see what MacPhail can do.

Unless we could get a really good return for Scott, why would you trade a guy who has proven to be a 20+ home run guy in left field when we've been suffering with mediocrity there for years? I like Lou Montanez, but I'm not sure I'd hand him the job at this point. Maybe he could be our 4th guy next year.

Now, if we could get our shortstop of the future for Scott, and maybe a good pitching prospect, then I let him go. But as far as I'm concerned, he's proven he can hit for power at this level and for a decent average. I even think he'll hit lefthanders if given a regular opportunity to do it.

Totally agree with this. Guthrie is a #2 and Cabrera is a #4 piece in a competitive rotation. The bullpen is fine with everyone healthy, and we have plenty of potential minor league fill-in arms. The offense as it stands is solid and could get better through FA.

McPhail should look towards acquiring SP help in free agency. Even above Tex, that should be his priority, as it would improve the major league club most immediately for 09 and beyond. SS is a weak spot on numerous teams, even the defending champs.

As for the organization, trading for position prospects, particularly infielders, seems to be the most pressing concern.

Millar is an okay stop-gap until we can fill 1B out in pen. If we do manage to sign Tex, there just isn't any roster space for him.

How do you figure that DCab is a #4 in a competitive rotation.

DiceK 15-2, 2.77

Lester 12-4, 3.17

Beckett 11-9, 4.34

Wakefield 7-8, 3.67

Masterson 4-3, 3.34

Byrd 7-11, 4.55

Kazmir 9-6, 3.21

Shield 11-7, 3.68

Garza 9-7, 3.71

Jackson 9-8, 3.97

Sonnanstine 13-6, 4.37

DCab 8-8, 4.98

DCab would be lucky to be a #6 in a five man competitve rotation.

Archived