Who Are Your Top Three Rule 5 Targets?

Beef Supreme

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I was just taking a shot at Davis.

Everyone knows I think the Rule V is a waste of time so I haven't been commenting on it.

Not sure why you decided to @me but whatever.

Your comment sounded to me like you were genuinely concerned about the consequences to the team's ability to compete by carrying CD and a no-hit 21 year old Rule 5 middle infielder. Guess I missed the "/s."

Still down on Santander?

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

Your comment sounded to me like you were genuinely concerned about the consequences to the team's ability to compete by carrying CD and a no-hit 21 year old Rule 5 middle infielder. Guess I missed the "/s."

Still down on Santander?

He didn't look good in the second half.  I'm not convinced he turns into something worth the effort.  I just think better ways to acquire talent exist. 

He did have a really nice stretch when he got called up.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He didn't look good in the second half.  I'm not convinced he turns into something worth the effort.  I just think better ways to acquire talent exist. 

He looked fine in the second half, only his final dozen games were lousy (.093/.140/.222 over 57 plate appearances). From the All-Star Break to September 7th his line was .295/.317/.555.

He will be penciled in as an everyday corner outfielder to start 2020. Maybe he will regress, maybe not, but he is at least someone I am looking forward to watching which is something I can't say about most of the team.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

He looked fine in the second half, only his final dozen games were lousy (.093/.140/.222 over 57 plate appearances). From the All-Star Break to September 7th his line was .295/.317/.555.

He will be penciled in as an everyday corner outfielder to start 2020. Maybe he will regress, maybe not but he is at least someone I am looking forward to watching.

Last 28 days, right off of BB Ref:

18 games, 83 PA 138/169/300.

His second half OPS+ was 99. 

Do you think a 99 OPS+ is a good look for a corner outfielder?

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was just taking a shot at Davis.

Everyone knows I think the Rule V is a waste of time so I haven't been commenting on it.

Not sure why you decided to @me but whatever.

It really has for the most part since the rule changes in 2006. Not much better then what can be had on WW claims. You might find a pitcher who sticks. Brad Keller in 2017 has been the best one in very recent seasons. Then you have to go back to 2014 with Odubel Herrera, Mark Canha, DeShields Jr.. To Ender Inciarte, Hector Rondon in 2012 + a handful of other useful RP i'm not listing.

Maybe the addition of the 26th might change some things. Caleb Smith was a rule 5er that was returned that later became a relevant SP.

Everyone beside 3 players were returned last year (Martin, Brennan, Luciano)

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just think better ways to acquire talent exist. 

Agreed, but it is a way.  I'm glad that the Orioles now finally don't seem to be ignoring any avenue of talent acquisition, excepting, of course, big ticket free agents.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Last 28 days, right off of BB Ref:

18 games, 83 PA 138/169/300.

His second half OPS+ was 99. 

Do you think a 99 OPS+ is a good look for a corner outfielder?

No, but it was because he was terrible in those last 12 games. It wasn't a bad second half it was a good second half until a terrible final 12 games.

He had 614 plate appearances last year after 408 plate appearances in 2018 and 95 plate appearances in 2017 (his Rule 5 year).

I am giving him a pass on those last 12 games (57 plate appearances), as he had never before played a full season through September.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

No, but it was because he was terrible in those last 12 games. It wasn't a bad second half it was a good second half until a a terrible final 12 games.

He had 614 plate appearances last year after 408 plate appearances in 2018 and 95 plate appearances in 2017 (his Rule 5 year).

I am giving him a pass on those last 12 games (57 plate appearances), as he had never before played a full season through September.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I find this to be extremely hypocritical. You give Stewart a pass for both of his sub-par showings in the ML so far. And yet Santander is younger and had less seasoning in the minor leagues (483 games compared to Stewart's 690) and you're killing him over a 99+ in one half of an otherwise very good year for a 25 year old. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I find this to be extremely hypocritical. You give Stewart a pass for both of his sub-par showings in the ML so far. And yet Santander is younger and had less seasoning in the minor leagues (483 games compared to Stewart's 690) and you're killing him over a 99+ in one half of an otherwise very good year for a 25 year old. 

I'm not giving Stewart a pass.

I'm also not "killing" Santander.

I said he didn't look good, in what world is that "killing" him?

Stewart look pretty bad last year.  My argument with Stewart was that more time at AAA wasn't going to help him develop.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not giving Stewart a pass.

I'm also not "killing" Santander.

I said he didn't look good, in what world is that "killing" him?

Stewart look pretty bad last year.  My argument with Stewart was that more time at AAA wasn't going to help him develop.

Seems to me your disdain for the Rule 5 has colored your opinion of Santander. The dude mashed for most of the year and played hard on defense. He tailed off, sure, but come on. First full season at the big league level on a terrible team. I don't think it's fair to pull out the 99+ on him and act like that tells us anything about him long term. Especially when the rest of the team is incomplete at best, or scrubby at worst. 

The idea that a corner outfielder needs to mash for 162 games straight I think needs a bit of a correction. We can't expect everyone who plays LF or RF to be Mookie Betts. The Nationals won a championship with Adam Eaton (101+) and Gerardo Parra (87+) and one young guy, Soto, who went nuts (138+). 

4 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

I have been eagerly anticipating Luke's final analysis of this year's Rule 5 eligible players. I thought it might be fun -- for those of us who care -- to share their top three players, since the Orioles have the second pick. Here are mine:
1. Wander Javier
2. Shervyen Newton
3. Esteury Ruiz

You can see what I am doing here: focusing on young middle infielders while overlooking all the pitchers. I can see arguments supporting Friedl or Reed as the first round pick, However, I'd gamble on trying to find a future SS/2B since the system has a few interesting outfielders, but a dearth of infield prospects (is Gunnar's future at third base?) I understand that picking according to need is not recommended in the Rule 4 draft, but I don't know whether the strategy may vary in the Rule 5.

Who are your top three picks?

1.  Javier or Newton

2.  Brown or Sharpe

3.  A Josh Rojas LAA type.  Someone that could play in the infield.  

I'm on board with Javier and Newton.  We have to find out SS/2B of the future somewhere.  We lack depth in the minors at those positions.  I would view them as picks for the 2023 season.  I see no point in even having them "redshirt" in 2020.  Heck, run them out there for more innings as the season goes on.  We draft them with the intention that they'd be in A+ in 2021 with three options.  

I'd like to see us go pitcher with our 2nd pick.  I'd prefer a starter, or recent starter convert.  

• Upvote 1