Aug 23 O's Yanks

THELTSHOW

The "dirt circle" rule only applies to uncaught third strikes.

Oh well my bad. But still, on a play like that, you're giving the umpires a lot of leeway to make a call where they are basically deciding what the batter was thinking.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The YES announcers believed it was simply that West gave him an allotted amount of time to argue and, when he exceeded it, he got tossed.

That's even more arbitrary than the call itself! If that's actually the reason, no wonder he was so incensed.

They just showed the replay, and while Mora was walking for most of the way, he wasn't THAT far out of the baseline to make a call like that.

But he wasn't running to first. You have to realize the situation and run to first. Or you're out. I think they got the call right, after reading Webster's rule.

But he wasn't running to first. You have to realize the situation and run to first. Or you're out. I think they got the call right, after reading Webster's rule.

Like Zep said, that's completely arbitrary. You could also argue that Pudge should be penalized for not tagging him...he was walking UP the line, albeit about a foot out of the dirt area...there's no rule against walking up to the base, its just usually unwise.

Completely arbitrary call.

Like Zep said, that's completely arbitrary. You could also argue that Pudge should be penalized for not tagging him...he was walking UP the line, albeit about a foot out of the dirt area...there's no rule against walking up to the base, its just usually unwise.

Completely arbitrary call.

Walking to first is pretty reliable evidence that you don't realize the situation.

I also don't think the ump ever signaled he was out. Until the ump signals it, Mora should be able to start to first.

The ump knew it was a dropped third strike. When he saw Melvin not run he could have signaled the out, but he didn't. He waited until after the conference.

Edit: I was wrong. The ump did signal him out just after he left the circle.

Walking to first is pretty reliable evidence that you don't realize the situation.

No, walking to the dugout is pretty reliable evidence he didn't realize the situation. Walking up towards first is pretty reliable evidence that he thought something might be up.

Well what does abandoning your position say about one's understanding of the situation?

And don't you think the actions of the Yankee players led somewhat to Mora's momentary confusion?

No, walking to the dugout is pretty reliable evidence he didn't realize the situation. Walking up towards first is pretty reliable evidence that he thought something might be up.

What? If he had any suspicion that the pitch had been dropped, why would he walk to first? If you think the pitch may have been dropped, you RUN.

Archived