Prospects under pressure to perform

Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

i abhor strikes, and hope to hell, I never live through another.

The owners can be a stubborn lot, and the players can too.

Throw in clowns like Boras, then you have dysfunctional. IMO

The fans are the ones that truly lose in a strike,

10 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Things I hope get settled in the next CBA

1) Enact a hard cap, as well a salary floor.  No more having a few big market teams spending 5x as much as smaller markets

2) Player should reach FA sooner.  Stashing guys in the minors, so you can get 6 years of cheap service time, then finally when they're like 29 and half their career is already over they sign their first FA contract always kind of seemed wrong to me.  

3)  Max contract length of six years.  No more super-mega contracts.

I think if you give the players back a salary floor, as well as being able to reach FA sooner, they would be willing to compromise on a hard cap and max contract length.

Edited by GuidoSarducci
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Things I hope get settled in the next CBA

1) Enact a hard cap, as well a salary floor.  No more having a few big market teams spending 5x as much as smaller markets

2) Player should reach FA sooner.  Stashing guys in the minors, so you can get 6 years of cheap service time, then finally when they're like 29 and half their career is already over they sign their first FA contract always kind of seemed wrong to me.  

3)  Max contract length of six years.  No more super-mega contracts.

I think if you give the players back a salary floor, as well as being able to reach FA sooner, they would be willing to compromise on a hard cap and max contract length.

There is no way that the super agents are going to be okay with no more super-mega contracts. The stars wont like that either.

With all due respect and sincerity, personally, I see no way of getting a hard cap in place. The owners in the MLB, is not like any other sport, and there is no real commish in MLB either.

I do not think they are being stashed in the minors for cheap service time. Guys who can perform get promoted. Super 2 status does impact a few, but long before they are 29.

57 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

There is no way that the super agents are going to be okay with no more super-mega contracts. The stars wont like that either.

With all due respect and sincerity, personally, I see no way of getting a hard cap in place. The owners in the MLB, is not like any other sport, and there is no real commish in MLB either.

I do not think they are being stashed in the minors for cheap service time. Guys who can perform get promoted. Super 2 status does impact a few, but long before they are 29.

Who cares what the agents want?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who cares what the agents want?

Correct, we do not care what the agent wants.

But, you must be naive if you dont think guys like Boras have a lot (too much) clout with the MLB and their owners.

Younger guys that are on the fringes of making it big for their super mega contract, are also going to be dead set against.

Show me one other professional league, that caps the years the contract can run.

16 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Correct, we do not care what the agent wants.

But, you must be naive if you dont think guys like Boras have a lot (too much) clout with the MLB and their owners.

Younger guys that are on the fringes of making it big for their super mega contract, are also going to be dead set against.

Show me one other professional league, that caps the years the contract can run.

Technically none, but the way contracts work in the NFL, you can get cut any time and only receive the “guaranteed” portion of your contract.    Having a 10-year contract doesn’t mean much when you can be cut any time and receive only a fraction of what you’d receive if the contract were fully performed.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Technically none, but the way contracts work in the NFL, you can get cut any time and only receive the “guaranteed” portion of your contract.    Having a 10-year contract doesn’t mean much when you can be cut any time and receive only a fraction of what you’d receive if the contract were fully performed.    

True and there have been NFL contracts guaranteed heavy tilted to the player's side of things.

17 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

That’s true. Billionaires and millionaires don’t lose in a strikes. Fans do.