Palmer: Fed up with Cabrera

Moose Milligan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone listening to his comments today? He's tearing into him pretty hardcore. I don't think I've heard him be this hard on a pitcher before.

Oh my. He just hit A-Rod....here we go.

At least you're not being vague or anything. ;)

Care to elaborate?

Where is everyone now that said Cabrera turned a corner? As well as those saying Kranitz was the best thing since sliced bread?

Now, I'm being smug, that's for sure, but Cabrera is what he is. A #4 at best, and a #5 at second best. He can eat innings, and he'll never have control.

I don't disagree with Palmer one bit.

Palmer said that if you had a pitcher who couldn't field his position, couldn't hold runners, and couldn't command his pitches, he'd usually be in the minors.

He said that you have to see a pitcher improve in 5 years. And with Daniel Cabrera, it's not happening.

He said that the Orioles teammates know that Daniel Cabrera doesn't give them much of a chance to win when he is out on the mound. He said "they know it, but they'd never say it."

Anyone listening to his comments today? He's tearing into him pretty hardcore. I don't think I've heard him be this hard on a pitcher before.

Oh my. He just hit A-Rod....here we go.

Palmer has been heavily critical of Dan today. He always gets frustrated when the guys miss in the zone. It's nothing compared to Ponson's second stint with the team. Back then, Palmer would say "That's just a terrible, terrible pitch by Sidney there." about five or six times a game.

Alright, when Cano hit that double...

"If you had a young pitcher and you say 'Well, he throws 90-91, doesn't command his fastball, can't really get his curveball over...does he have a third pitch? yeah, but he never throws it...does he field his position? ehhh, not very well...does he hold runners? no...well, we're gonna keep that guy in the minor leagues. And Daniel starts every 5th game. And thats what I think is so frustrating. Five years, you've gotta get better and he has just been unable to do it. Perfect example, you give him an extra out, you bring up a guy who's a terrific hitter who's underacheiving in Robinson Cano and now you're one single away from trailing 6-2.

Its frustrating for your teammates, they'll never say that because they're pretty supportive, but if you want to become a winning team, you have to turn things around and pitchers have to lead the way. This is a game where the pitchers are the guys that do it...yes, you get supported by your teammates but you gotta give them a chance to win and I'm not really sure if they really believe Daniel's gonna do that anymore."

Multiple critical comments....

... after 5 years, you have to get better.

... he's not sure the team thinks Cabrera gives them a chance to win.

... not having control all game.

... not understanding that a left-handed hitter would try and pull the ball to move the runner to third.

... 90 or 91 MPH fastball isn't going to get it done.

Yeah, I can't wait until some of our young pitching can be just as good as a #4 or #5 pitcher (and cheaper) so I don't have to watch this debacle over and over again. It's a shame we missed the boat moving him during his hot streak, but I suspect the other GMs weren't fooled by that good stretch either.

Daniel Cabrera... turning the corner since 2005.

"If you had a young pitcher and you say 'Well, he throws 90-91, doesn't command his fastball, can't really get his curveball over...does he have a third pitch? yeah, but he never throws it...does he field his position? ehhh, not very well...does he hold runners? no...well, we're gonna keep that guy in the minor leagues. And Daniel starts every 5th game. And thats what I think is so frustrating. Five years, you've gotta get better and he has just been unable to do it. Perfect example, you give him an extra out, you bring up a guy who's a terrific hitter who's underacheiving in Robinson Cano and now you're one single away from trailing 6-2.

Its frustrating for your teammates, they'll never say that because they're pretty supportive, but if you want to become a winning team, you have to turn things around and pitchers have to lead the way. This is a game where the pitchers are the guys that do it...yes, you get supported by your teammates but you gotta give them a chance to win and I'm not really sure if they really believe Daniel's gonna do that anymore."

Thanks for transcribing that, Moose.

Pretty harsh, but it's hard to argue with any of that. This is what makes Palmer a good broadcaster-- he tells it like it is, and isn't afraid to be critical of the Orioles when warranted.

Thanks for transcribing that, Moose.

Pretty harsh, but it's hard to argue with any of that. This is what makes Palmer a good broadcaster-- he tells it like it is, and isn't afraid to be critical of the Orioles when warranted.

There have been other comments too, but that was the big rant.

It's gotta be frustrating as hell for him to have watched this, too. Palmer was a pitching genius and to watch a guy that has all the physical ability to do the job continually fail....Palmer must be ready to pull his hair out.

Rep for posting this.

I was trying to remember how he worded it. I haven't been critical of Daniel at all. This game has put me in the - Get rid of him bandwagon. Palmer pretty much said everything I was feeling throughout this game.

Palmer is a great announcer and we're really lucky to have him honestly.

Archived