Chris Waters

rooter

So you don't think having them pitch, and learn, in the pressure of a pennant race, albeit at AA, is more important than having them pitch in a couple of meaningless games to finish out a meaningless year with the Orioles?

No game is meaningless when young players are learning at the big league level.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you don't think having them pitch, and learn, in the pressure of a pennant race, albeit at AA, is more important than having them pitch in a couple of meaningless games to finish out a meaningless year with the Orioles?

I think this is pretty meaningless and pales in comparison to learning at the big league level.

No game is meaningless when young players are learning at the big league level.

Yeah but these guys haven't learned the AAA level yet. I think they need to. I think AAA is an important step for players, despite what some around here seem to believe. The best prospects might not be there but the fringe mlbers, AAAA players, and older, more seasoned pros still provide good oppurtunity for the younger guys to improve.

Also, these guys have pitched a lot of innings this year already, I don't think its neccessarily in their best interest to come up here to Baltimore and be pushing 200 innings, particularly as you know they'll be pitching trying to impress. Furthermore, there are option years and 40 man roster considerations to take into account.

Yeah but these guys haven't learned the AAA level yet. I think they need to. I think AAA is an important step for players, despite what some around here seem to believe. The best prospects might not be there but the fringe mlbers, AAAA players, and older, more seasoned pros still provide good oppurtunity for the younger guys to improve.

Also, these guys have pitched a lot of innings this year already, I don't think its neccessarily in their best interest to come up here to Baltimore and be pushing 200 innings, particularly as you know they'll be pitching trying to impress. Furthermore, there are option years and 40 man roster considerations to take into account.

I think having these guys pitch at AAA last year would be great. But that doesn't mean that you can't have them come up in September and get some experience at the highest level.

I think having these guys pitch at AAA last year would be great. But that doesn't mean that you can't have them come up in September and get some experience at the highest level.

I believe that Waters will have about 25 percent of the major league success of Bruce Chen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcumansky28

I believe that Waters will have about 25 percent of the major league success of Bruce Chen.

I believe that Pluto is no longer a planet. What the hell does this statement have to do with anything?

Well, it does kind of respond to the original post asking for thoughts on Waters and his start tonight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcumansky28

Well, it does kind of respond to the original post asking for thoughts on Waters and his start tonight.

Then he quoted the wrong thing. As for Waters/Chen, perhaps he is right. All I know is he has looked pretty much the part of a lefty who is decent and will pitch to about a 5.00 ERA. Say like, Brian Burress, who we are now all concerned will be lost forever because he wasn't called up first.:confused:

Then he quoted the wrong thing. As for Waters/Chen, perhaps he is right. All I know is he has looked pretty much the part of a lefty who is decent and will pitch to about a 5.00 ERA. Say like, Brian Burress, who we are now all concerned will be lost forever because he wasn't called up first.:confused:

IMO, Waters and Burres are pretty much the same pitcher. If I remember correctly, Waters was originally brought up for a spot start because Burres had just pitched 2 days before in Norfolk. And because Waters pitched a brilliant debut game, he deserved another start or two. We all know Burres' capabilities, and I think the O's pretty much knew Waters' capabilities before he was called up. Basically, it's a wash.

He pitched well and had some good defense behind him(Castro's error not withstanding).

Still shouldn't be in the rotation though.

how

I guess, for you, Waters will now be the new Guthrie -- no matter how well he pitches, it won't satisy you. You will always have an insight that trumps actual results.

how

I guess' date=' for you, Waters will now be the new Guthrie -- no matter how well he pitches, it won't satisy you. You will always have an insight that trumps actual results.[/quote']

LOL....Where were you for Waters last several starts since the Anaheim start?

LOL....Where were you for Waters last several starts since the Anaheim start?

Lets see:

4 IP 6 ER - bad start

4.2 IP 2 ER - not good, but really not bad, would have liked to have seen him get a chance to get through the 5th.

5 IP 4 ER - vs. Red Sox, not terrible

7 IP 3 ER - vs. White Sox, pretty good.

He hasn't been that bad.

Lets see:

4 IP 6 ER - bad start

4.2 IP 2 ER - not good, but really not bad, would have liked to have seen him get a chance to get through the 5th.

5 IP 4 ER - vs. Red Sox, not terrible

7 IP 3 ER - vs. White Sox, pretty good.

He hasn't been that bad.

A 7.20 ERA isn't terrible?

Archived