Chris Waters

rooter

A 7.20 ERA isn't terrible?

Not sure if you are aware of this but the offenses that Waters has pitched against are ranked as follows:

Texas #1

Chi WS #2

Bos RS #3

Det #6

LAA #9

The teams are a combined 61 games over .500. And yes, I don't think pitching 5 IP and giving up 4 ERs in your first start against the Red Sox is that bad.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure if you are aware of this but the offenses that Waters has pitched against are ranked as follows:

Texas #1

Chi WS #2

Bos RS #3

Det #6

LAA #9

The teams are a combined 61 games over .500. And yes, I don't think pitching 5 IP and giving up 4 ERs in your first start against the Red Sox is that bad.

Its called the AL.

Its called the AL.

What does that mean? Are you saying that you have to expect to pitch against the best offenses in the league every time out? C'mon, cut this kid some slack, he hasn't pitched that poorly since coming up. One start was bad, really bad, against the best offense in baseball.

I believe that Pluto is no longer a planet. What the hell does this statement have to do with anything?

It means that Waters doesn't even approach mediocrity. He's the latest placeholder from an organization that, outside of Bedard and Johnson, is incapable of growing its own pitching talent and harvesting it.

Sports Guy

He pitched well and had some good defense behind him(Castro's error not withstanding).

Still shouldn't be in the rotation though.

"Still shouldn't be in the rotation though."

That was not the question, sit down and zip it.

You have to understand something, Sports Guy is the guru of baseball!!:rolleyes:

..is intriguing. No,he hasnt been stellar since Anaheim, but he's been far from our worst out there. He keeps the ball near the strike zone, changes speeds, seems pretty poised and fields his position well. I think he knows what he is doing out there.Were it not for a few mistakes(a dropped fly ball by Cintron, a botched ground ball by Castro tonight) he may have fared slightly better. He reminds me of Burres(who will pitch tommorrow night), but something about him seems different. I have a hunch this guy has a hunger to succeed. And I think the Orioles would do well to give him a real look. I real look. What he did tonight was more along the lines of what he did in Anaheim. He wasnt as dominant..but he gave us 7 innings and again, for the want of a routine play and a stupid balk that really was a reaction to a batter stepping out..he may have been the winning pitcher. Waters gave us a good, solid effort. He deserves the shot of making this roster next year.

Completely agree.

Waters strikes me as a guy who is smarter than he is talented and I'm a sucker for these kind of guys. Let's give him a couple of more starts and settle the question once and for all. That Anaheim start was one of the most enjoyable games I've watched in the last five years.

I mean look, I know Waters probably won't ever solidify a rotation spot. I know he'll probably spend his career as a AAAA player, but the only thing you can judge him on is what he's done so far. For a guy who's had 5 starts in the majors, he isn't doing too bad. If Bergesen or Tillman were doing those kind of numbers in their first 5 starts, we'd all be pretty happy that they had a couple of very solid starts. Gotta judge the guy on what he's doing, not what the numbers show he should be.

I mean look, I know Waters probably won't ever solidify a rotation spot. I know he'll probably spend his career as a AAAA player, but the only thing you can judge him on is what he's done so far. For a guy who's had 5 starts in the majors, he isn't doing too bad. If Bergesen or Tillman were doing those kind of numbers in their first 5 starts, we'd all be pretty happy that they had a couple of very solid starts. Gotta judge the guy on what he's doing, not what the numbers show he should be.

You will be astonished how difficult it will be to convince Sports Guy and others on this site of this obvious truth.

If the guy can keep his ERA below 5 and hold down the back of the rotation next year I'll be ecstatic. I am certainly not looking for the next great thing from him, but if he can even half-stabalize this Hindenburg of a pitching staff, like I said, I'll be psyched.

Archived