Chris Waters

rooter

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Waters...in the top of the 1st inning after Ramirez lined one to right field, the next batter topped one down the 1st base line that Waters fielded before it crossed the foul line into foul territory. The ball looked as if it were headed foul. It ended up being like a sacrifice bunt, and Ramirez later scored albeint on the Castro error. Would you have let it go foul to keep a force out/double play still in play or do you take the sure out when you have the chance??

:scratchchinhmm:

I don't think Waters has any future....but he has a present. He's pitched respectably and we desperately need that. So he keeps getting the ball every fifth day until he goes out and stinks for at least three starts in a row.

We needed that seven inning outing, badly.

..is intriguing. No,he hasnt been stellar since Anaheim, but he's been far from our worst out there. He keeps the ball near the strike zone, changes speeds, seems pretty poised and fields his position well. I think he knows what he is doing out there.Were it not for a few mistakes(a dropped fly ball by Cintron, a botched ground ball by Castro tonight) he may have fared slightly better. He reminds me of Burres(who will pitch tommorrow night), but something about him seems different. I have a hunch this guy has a hunger to succeed. And I think the Orioles would do well to give him a real look. I real look. What he did tonight was more along the lines of what he did in Anaheim. He wasnt as dominant..but he gave us 7 innings and again, for the want of a routine play and a stupid balk that really was a reaction to a batter stepping out..he may have been the winning pitcher. Waters gave us a good, solid effort. He deserves the shot of making this roster next year.

Who in our rotation doesn't?

I don't disagree that Waters hasn't embarrassed himself, and I do think that the fact that he has significant experience helps him. Also, his fastball was topping out at a Garrett Olson-esque 90mph last night.

Still, he needs to be perfect to be effective (much like Olson, Burres, etc...) and that's not good. His stuff isn't good enough on it's own.

Speaking of Waters...in the top of the 1st inning after Ramirez lined one to right field, the next batter topped one down the 1st base line that Waters fielded before it crossed the foul line into foul territory. The ball looked as if it were headed foul. It ended up being like a sacrifice bunt, and Ramirez later scored albeint on the Castro error. Would you have let it go foul to keep a force out/double play still in play or do you take the sure out when you have the chance??

:scratchchinhmm:

Top of the first inning, you take the out. Had it been later in the game, you might let it go foul, but at that point in the ballgame, you take the out and don't let them gain momentum with a possible big first inning.

Of the three clones, Waters, Olsen, and Burres, Waters has shown the most maturity, if not the most talent. Olsen, I think, posseses the most talent, in that he has four pitches and his fastball has exceeded 90 mph on occasion. Both Burres and Waters have troudle reaching 90. Having one of these three "soft tossers" in your rotation is a stretch. Having two or more is suicide.

I don't think Waters has any future....but he has a present. He's pitched respectably and we desperately need that. So he keeps getting the ball every fifth day until he goes out and stinks for at least three starts in a row.

Agree pretty much entirely with this post.

I have no (or, should say, very little) hopes that Waters will be any kind of long-term solution, but for now he's pitching well enough to hold down a spot in the rotation through a few more turns. Seems obvious that the O's brass doesn't want to call anyone up from AA. I don't really agree with that, but if that's their position then there's nothing wrong with throwing Waters out there every 5th day.

Still shouldn't be in the rotation though.
Shouldn't be in the rotation right now and shouldn't be an option for the rotation next year are two very different things.

Right now, Waters is without doubt our 2nd best starter. I think he's just riding a hot streak, but you better believe that if I'm in charge, I milk that hot streak for all its worth.

I shouldn't have replied to the first post I felt like replying to way back on page one. It was pretty much inevitable that by the time I'd have gotten to the end of the thread if I had read it all the way through, you'd have already provided the right answer.

I do not think Berken and Bergesen would be "rushed"...That is our difference in opinion here.

I would just assume we not hope that the jump will be a smooth one for these guys. Waters has been servicable. Let him take the ball until he fails and actually develop the guys that might be part of a successful future team.

Top of the first inning, you take the out. Had it been later in the game, you might let it go foul, but at that point in the ballgame, you take the out and don't let them gain momentum with a possible big first inning.

:agree:

bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...still, did cross my mind to let it go foul....

Archived