The Astros and Red Sox Punishments

weams

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I still think it's a ridiculous escalation over prior penalties. 

Astros fans seem to think they got off lightly.  Draft picks are basically second round picks anyway they say and they didn’t get any player suspensions.  Manager in baseball makes little difference. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Other teams are doing it is not an excuse.  Baseball will stop with these two teams unless anyone does something going forward.  If I rob a bank mentioning to the judge that other people robbed banks and got away with it is not going to help my cause either before or after receiving punishment.

Damn, kills my plans for tomorrow.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't think it will mean much.  They would be picking #29th overall.  They haven't shown much skill drafting when they haven't been drafting at the top of the draft.  In fact when they were the the worst team in the league their second round  picks were all duds. The best of the bunch was Tom Eshelman.  

In fact, I don't know why Elias fired the prior regimes scouting director with the Orioles as he seemed better at getting later picks who became major league contributors.

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

Not sure if this has been posted but this explains everything from the Commissioner in such detail that even Can of Corn would be unable to argue against it. 

https://img.mlbstatic.com/mlb-images/image/upload/mlb/cglrhmlrwwbkacty27l7.pdf

Hinch didn't like it and tried to "signal" his dislike of it by physically destroying the monitor on two separate occasions, necessitating it be replaced?

Wow, leadership at its best.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Deliberate tanking shows his character.  

LOL at the downvotes. Elias even called the investigation into the Astros unfortunate.  Deliberate tanking show bad moral character.   If Elias had a sign stealing scandal with the Orioles I am sure you would all be defending him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Hinch didn't like it and tried to "signal" his dislike of it by physically destroying the monitor on two separate occasions, necessitating it be replaced?

Wow, leadership at its best.

The report also said that Hinch should have either contacted Lunhow about it or told the players to stop. Neither which of he did. 

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is what MLB does, they let stuff go with a wink until someone takes it to the level that the average fan gets upset and then they overreact.

Nah, they told everyone that this would be taken seriously in August 2017 and to make sure that you flew straight from then on. The Astros didn't do so and are being punished. Same with the Red Sox. The teams had warning that this would be punished severely.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Using film to decode sign patterns isn't the same thing at all.

That's legal.

It was a gray area to do so during the game, MLB announced that it was not acceptable and would henceforth be punished, and added an 8 second delay to the replay monitors. That is what the Red Sox are being investigated for.