The Astros and Red Sox Punishments

weams

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I think the draft picks are fine punishment.  But I think the GM should have been banned for life along with the manager.  You can't change the past but I think you need to discourage anyone from doing this again.  In American pro-sports, post-season ban doesn't really work.  

Again, you wouldn't sacrifice four draft picks for a World Series title? If the answer is yes then the punishment isn't enough to deter other teams from cheating. MLB should have focused more on punishing the franchise and not the individuals. The franchise is who hired both of these men...you can't tell me they didn't know what was going on. 

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Their five best players have to go to the five worst teams last year. ?

I could see letting prospects go but major players signed contracts with the Astros so I don't think you could do that.  They should have had  international slot money taken away.  

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Again, you wouldn't sacrifice four draft picks for a World Series title? If the answer is yes then the punishment isn't enough to deter other teams from cheating. MLB should have focused more on punishing the franchise and not the individuals. The franchise is who hired both of these men...you can't tell me they didn't know what was going on. 

From the interviews with the players and management it appears ownership did not know what was going on.  Do you think Peter Angelos would know if DD and Buck had done something similar? I don't.

I do think Astroball needs to be re-written though.  

Just now, interloper said:

That's ridiculous. This is the harshest penalty handed out to a team in over 100 years. It's 4 top draft picks, and it's end of baseball careers for at least 3 prominent people. The $5 million fine, while low, is the maximum allowable. 

There's literally not much else you can do.

The reality is that the end of the baseball careers for those men will have a very minimal impact on the franchise. It needed to be harsher for the franchise (not the individuals). 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I think Hinch gets another shot in a few years. The report depicts him as personally detested by the sign-stealing operation, but failing as a leader in using his influence and position to stop it.

Why would you hire him? If he allowed this to go on then he isn't a strong enough of a manager. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, atomic said:

From the interviews with the players and management it appears ownership did not know what was going on.  Do you think Peter Angelos would know if DD and Buck had done something similar? I don't.

I do think Astroball needs to be re-written though.  

I don't buy that for a minute. They implicated multiple high level people in the organization. 

6 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Our competitive balance round and 2nd round pick are starting to look nicer and nicer, not only are they going to happen sooner, but the Astros and presumably the Red Sox are going to not pick before us now.  Here is praying we don’t screw this up.

If the Red Sox lose their first round pick, then we will be essentially getting two first round picks, at two and 29, or 28 I think

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If this is quickly going to turn into referendum on Elias, whatever.  Just...whatever. 

No.

He will be under much greater scrutiny, of course, but he’s aware of that and will be treading the straight and narrow path for the foreseeable future.

There’s no warned like forewarned