Buck interviewing for Astros job

Frobby

I think it makes a lot of sense actually.

1. No-nonsense guy who is great with dodging pesky reporter questions and spinning things. If there's any shenanigans in the dugout, he'll clean it up while deflecting the controversy easily.

2. People will say he's anti-data, but that's not entirely the case. I think he'd let the data folks do their jobs and evolve as much as he can. At the end of the day, it's his last decent chance at a ring. He'll want to just focus on the guys in the dugout I think. Or he'll have to. 

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, but they're interviewing him.

Yes I know. A head-scratcher. Whatever he did behind the scenes, the only statistic he really seemed interested in was time to the plate, which is curious. Also the relationship with Dan, whoever was to blame for those ridiculous personnel decisions, the Tillman situation. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it makes sense to hire a manager before a general manager.

This!  I know Crane might be having trust issues right now but Buck (of all people) won’t be able to help himself from shmoosing the owner.

Actually Dan makes sense here as GM then you can see if Chaim would hire Buck in Boston.

I think eventually the Mets job will come available as well.

Edited by JimGinSP
Typo
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

Caught some MLB Network last night. Billy Ripken made the point that Buck as a Minor League manager back in the day was doing analytic stuff and made the argument that even the guys who are regarded as old school like Buck use analytics in their managing to some degree.  In football, we talk a lot about coaching trees, I wonder if in MLB there could be said to be an organizational tree. I was thinking about the Oriole Way when I was reading the Brooks Robinson book and I found myself wondering about who and what inspired a lot of Earl's strategies which as we know were pretty groundbreaking for their times.  I'd be happy for Buck if he got another shot though. Going out on 47 wins isn't a fun way to go.

I'd be inclined to agree...if there wasn't a good argument to be made that a lot of it was Buck's doing.  I know he wasn't the GM, or the owner, but it's hard to argue that a lot of the moves that were made that contributed to the dumpster fire weren't from Buck's influence or preference in players.  It's impossible to assign blame to one person, but Buck's fingerprints were all over that team, and I acknowledge I'm still fully butt hurt and bitter about two years ago, but he lost a lot of luster in my eyes because of it.  If he gets another job then great, good for him, but if he doesn't I won't be surprised, and can't say I disagree with it.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think it makes a lot of sense actually.

1. No-nonsense guy who is great with dodging pesky reporter questions and spinning things. If there's any shenanigans in the dugout, he'll clean it up while deflecting the controversy easily.

Well let’s see.....

he apparently outlawed “pies” 

but allowed Manny to play SS.

Just now, ShaneDawg85 said:

I'd be inclined to agree...if there wasn't a good argument to be made that a lot of it was Buck's doing.  I know he wasn't the GM, or the owner, but it's hard to argue that a lot of the moves that were made that contributed to the dumpster fire weren't from Buck's influence or preference in players.  It's impossible to assign blame to one person, but Buck's fingerprints were all over that team, and I acknowledge I'm still fully butt hurt and bitter about two years ago, but he lost a lot of luster in my eyes because of it.  If he gets another job then great, good for him, but if he doesn't I won't be surprised, and can't say I disagree with it.

Oh I know. I'm not saying he wasn't to blame for what happened. It's that I would feel bad for Buck if that was his last year in the show.  I mean yeah I totally hear ya about two years ago. Going from being in the ALCS and four years later you're not even winning 50 games. It was ugly and it's why we are rebuilding now.