Buck interviewing for Astros job

Frobby

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Bochy didn't know that he could be offered to manage a WS team.  Will that chance his mind?

It's not a World Series team any longer. I would not be surprised to see them hunker down. 

So we bitched about his fans and should we crush his sweet hands?

Like a leper messiah
When the kids had killed the man I had to break up the band.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not strictly Orioles-related, but since we’re discussing the Astros’ situation on this board, this certainly seemed like fair game.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28495642/source-astros-interview-buck-showalter-managerial-vacancy

Buck seems a little Old School for the Astros, but maybe that’s a good antidote for their current situation and perhaps Buck can learn some new tricks in an organization that has a very strong analytical bent.   

Old school for whom.  Seems like everyone of significance has been eliminated. Assistant GM gone, GM gone, Manager gone.  Plus a ton of people have left the last couple of years.  They hired the Orioles Analytics person to be part of the Astros dept. 

Just now, atomic said:

Old school for whom.  Seems like everyone of significance has been eliminated. Assistant GM gone, GM gone, Manager gone.  Plus a ton of people have left the last couple of years.  They hired the Orioles Analytics person to be part of the Astros dept. 

Run it. She is the SIg/Mike Fast now. 

This would be a fascinating landing spot for Buck, and as a big fan of the guy (noting his deficiencies), I'd love to see it. From a temperament perspective, as some others have noted, I think he's a great fit as a no-nonsense type, old school guy that can handle the media. He will, in his own way, deflect tough questions about all the scandal around the club and exude an air of competence and professionalism that I think would go pretty well there. It will, of course, be interesting to see how he meshes with the highly analytic culture in Houston, but at least outwardly, I think he's a good fit.

Regardless, and partially I don't really care either way about whether the Astros win or lose (I guess only so much as they make life tough for the Yankees and Red Sox), I hope he gets the job because I've got a soft spot for ole Buck.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If the Astros really wanted to send a message they'd hire Kim Ng to be their GM. Between the Osuna acquisition and the terrible way they handled that situation with the female reporter they have quite a bit of work to do to rebuild their reputation. 

That is an excellent suggestion.  Of course she might not want the position. 

I think the point some of you are missing is the players who did the cheating aren't gone.  And I don't believe they stopped cheating midway through the 2018 season.  I believe they organized a cover-up among themselves.  

They got zero punishment.  There is no reason to think that they will stop cheating on their own.  Why should they?  They lost a manager.  BFD.  The organization needs someone who won't allow the players to continue to be cheats.  Who isn't under any pressure to prove themselves and is known for honesty.  

The owner could lose his franchise if the team is caught cheating again.   

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

...that it's a true changing of the guard? It's not like Ng isn't extremely qualified. I know we tossed around her name as a possibly candidate before the O's selected Elias. 

She's qualified.  But does a hire like that need to be made in order to prove to the public that changes have been made?  Do you think Ng would want to be hired due to her baseball acumen of because the Astros need to make a social statement/save face?